BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1971 810/Scout II

Binder TV

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Great God and baby Jesus! It scares women and small children! Seriously. I scared the life out some lady that apparently thought she could change lanes at whim and wherever she saw fit, like when her rear bumper was even with the front bumper of the scout. Horn no workee. Still working on that issue. Only way to let her know was to lock up the tires a bit. That got her attention. I am surprised that she did not see the bright as the sun head lights. I can see everything with those lights. I have an electric gremlin that popped up. The dash and rear lights are out so I will be sorting through my wiring job to see if it is a fuse or a loose wire. Also, I am putting some rubber matting on the roll cage to control the rattle when I mount the Jack.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Got a little bit done yesterday and today. Chased down the short. I think
it is taken care of. It looked like it was a loose wire that was grounding out on the rear of the dash. I also got the Jack installed on the rear spreader of the cage. It is temporary until I get to the final destination. I will need to be able to get to it while we are en route. I also installed a power outlet for the phone. I want to make sure I can call someone just in case things go bad. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Ok. I drove the Scout from Clarksville, TN to our new house in Ludowici, GA. The dog and I had a nice long ride. Everything went well until we got just past Nashville. The battery cable shorted out on the exhaust manifold. I got t spend 6 hours with Doug Scott in his shop near Lebanon. Nice guy. Wicked good on Scouts and engines. My dog likes him. He gave him food. Total trip was around 600 miles. Got around 12 mpg. Nice ride!

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Thanks! The trip was something else. I don't have a radio, so I listened to glasspacks for 600 miles. Another interesting tidbit: the city of Ludowici does not care where your vehicle is registered or how old your vehicle is. You better darn well have everything in compliance with their checklist. I stopped for gas about 2.5 miles from the house. I had driven straight through from Doug's shop, just stopping for gas and swiping the card at the pump. I :stupid:figured I would go in and get some chocolate milk. I really like chocolate milk. Anyway, I had noticed every cop in Ludowici was sitting in the parking lot across the street. All 3 of them. When I pulled into the gas station, their lights were all off. When I came back out from buying my chocolate milk, one of them was sitting at the exit of the parking lot with his headlights on. I could tell he was waiting on something, or someone. I didn't think anything of it at the time since I don't drive fast in the Scout. I pulled out of the parking lot and up to the stoplight. Guess who pulled in right behind me. Ding! If you said Officer Friendly, you win the prize! We got about a half mile down the road, which happens to be smack dab in front of the police station/fire department/jail. We sat there for a little bit with his lights on. All 50 million little blue LED's. I knew I had not been speeding, so I was especially curious as to why Officer Friendly and I would be engaging in conversation on such a lonely, rainy night in east Georgia. It seems as though my tag lights were not working. He waited 15 minutes for me to get gas and chocolate milk so he could tell me this. We also discovered another interesting item about which we could converse at 2:30 in the morning. The wonderful folks at the tag agency in Montgomery County, where the Scout is registered, thought it would be funny to register my tag to someone else's vehicle. Officer Friendly asked me about 5 times if I owned any other vehicles. I told him I do, but not the red Mustang about which he was asking. Backup had now arrived and they were very interested in me. Hank the dog was also becoming pretty interested in our late night friends. Not so much in the friendly way though. After about 20 minutes, my registration showed up in Officer Friendly's system. I was told to fix my tag lights and sent on my way. I love my new home town...

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
If it were only so simple. I did install some lights in the tailgate. I had to run the wire along the roll cage since it was raining. Sucked big time. I wanted to lift weights when I got home, but didn't get to that. Wife was not wanting to be cooped up with our wild monster any longer. It was a long day anyway. Left the house at 5:00 this morning and drove to orientation in Savannah. I only changed Districts, but I still am considered a new employee. Go figure. Anyway, it took me quite a while to find my new office. I was beginning to think they had made me the butt of a twisted joke, but it turns out the office does exist and the job is real. Still don't know what my job will be, but the pay is more than what it was at the other job. How does that apply to the Scout? It doesn't at all. What does matter is that the commute is about the same as the old job at 20 minutes. It will be a fairly easy drive and is mostly a four lane highway. I am looking forward to driving in to work in the morning and not being harassed by the Po Po. Yeeuh, gangstas!

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Been driving the Scout to work. Starts like a brand new truck. Well, it pretty much is. Not much has been untouched. Right now, I have plans to run some wire to the seats so the seats will function. I am debating where to mount the power outlet. I am thinking on the rear of the armrest.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
It's been a while since I posted up to the page. I have not done too much, but just some little things. I plugged up some holes that were left from the AC unit Levi pulled out. I found some upholstery plug things and they fit the holes nicely. I put a ring of silicone adhesive around each one so I can remove them later, but they have a semi permanent bond to hold them in place. I also plugged the holes in the top. Levi was going to put the rack on, but I told him to leave it off. I don't like the way it looks on the Scout. I used some more of the silicone adhesive. It seems to be working pretty good. I will be moving on to a cover for the shifter. upper teen to twenty degree weather does not feel good in the morning, as I meander my way to work.

I did make a nice trip to Jacksonville to see some friends and family. I was amazed to see that I was getting about 12 mpg. If I had a 4 speed, might get better, but I have what I have. I have realized that I need to prioritize my repairs. Numero uno will be to cover the shifter. I get dust and cold air at the moment. Fortunately, water doesn't fly in at the moment, but I am sure now that I have posted this, my luck will change. Next will be a permanent fix for the heater I picked up. It is held in place with wire ties, but I still have to see if it works. This is the second one that no workee. If this one has bitten the dust, I will go for store credit and get some other toy for the Scout.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
It's been a while since I posted anything up. Nothing really exciting happening. I have done a little bit of work to the beast. I have had some issues with the exhaust on the passenger side. It seems to be shedding bolts and nuts at the manifold-pipe junction. I have dropped a nut and a bolt already. I think the issue is that it has been cold (not real cold, but Georgia cold at about 28 or so at night) and the exhaust gets hot. I know, kind of "duh" statement. The mitigating factor is the routing of the exhaust past the transfer case. I have true duals running along the inside of the frame rails and the guy that installed it mashed the tube a bit running it along the transfer case. I would change it...but I haven't come up with anything better. So it stays. I think over time, the transfer case has met the pipe and pinched it against the frame. A little torquing of the engine and it kind of twists the pipe at the joint. It's my theory anyway. Might be flawed, but that is what I am going with anyway. I went to the local muffler shop. It is in the town where I work. I live just outside the middle of nowhere. There are no muffler shops. Anyway, I had them weld in some flexible sections that would allow the pipe to flex. It sounds a lot different than it did before. It is kind of cool. I will try to take some pictures later. I am internet challenged at the moment.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I forgot to mention the past few trips. I have been to Greenville SC and Clemson SC in the Scout. I have not had any issues. Both trips were about 5 hours or so. I averaged about 12 mpg. Not bad. The scenery was great. I take backroads everywhere I go. I get tired of the interstate quick. Also, my gas mileage goes in the toilet over about 55. Something about pushing a 3 ton brick at 65mph that just sucks the gas...:cornfused:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Good to here the rig is treating you right Ed. Nothing like havin trustworthy Old Iron to drive daily.. Give me a shout sometime.:beer:

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
It's been a while since I posted up. I have a couple of things in the works. I am going to level out the body and see if I can get the doors to shut right. I am also working on a replacement shifter cover. I don't like the plastic one and I hear they are hard to find in good enough condition to fiddle with. Anyway, I have a template cut and some sheet metal to bend and cut. I will work on some pics of it when I get a chance.

I have not had too many other issues. I did get some good gas mileage the other day. Might be because I was not mashing the skinny pedal all that much. I don't know why I enjoy that so much...Something about goosing it and scaring old ladies is just a blast.:taz::punk::yes:

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I leveled the body on the Scout yesterday. It is a temporary fix. I have entirely too many shims in there. I need longer bolts and some extra hands.

A little background:
I had some body work done pre-Levi. It was terrible. Guy screwed me out of a bunch of money and gave me nothing in return, but more work. I don't think any of the work was good. Levi had to redo most of it. Anyway, part of the fallout of the original bodywork were the center cab mounts. They were put in level and high, throwing the rest of the body out of alignment. Levi and I decided to put the repair of this issue off for a bit. It was going to be a lot more work to fully fix the issue and it would take a lot more time. Turns out that wa a better plan than we anticipated. I have noted some areas in the past week that are not so hot. The driver side rear body mount is collapsing on the body. It is not going to be "easy" to fix, unless you are well-tooled, well-trained, and some sort of body repair god. I am not. I have hand tools, jacks, lifts, and a stick welder. My air tools are not the greatest, so I don't use them much. I digress. Short story long is I have a high point in the middle of the body. I think it was easier to raise the front and rear cab mounts with some shims for temporary repair than to cut loose the center mounts and reweld them in place. I have never welded in my life and I am much better with hand tools.

Anyway, here is what transpired:
I loosened the bolts on the rear body mounts, both sides. Then I loosened the front cab mounts, both sides. Next, I loosened the bolts on the main hoop of the cage to allow for some flex in the center of the body while maintaining the length of the body. I cribbed up my floor jack and then jacked up the rear mounts and inserted shims. Then I jacked up the front cab mounts as much as I could. The passenger side is a little low, but it is workable. I need some longer bolts, which Napa did not have. I am going to swing by FastenAll later this week and get some bolts that will allow me to shim away to my heart's content. I need about another inch...(Don't we all, nudge nudge, wink wink:yes:). After jacking and shimming (sounds dirty :no: ), I retightened the bolts and checked the doors. Driver side is about an 1/8" low and the gap is around 3/16" at the door. A little more shimming and I will be pretty good on the ddriver side. Passenger side will take a little more work. The driver door shuts good. Passenger side is about the same as before. It will remain the Dukes of Hazzard side for a while longer.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Whatever happened to Ed?

JJ in TN

JJ I actually spoke with Ed the other day. He has been staying very busy working for the corps of engineers overseas and just got back in the states. He had sold this rig awhile back and am not sure where it is now. Maybe somewhere in Texas?