BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1971 810/Scout II

Binder TV

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Actually Ed they are as quiet of a mud tread as you can get. . Gotta pick up the 5th tire on sat and get it mounted into the spare mount. The tires and the wheels made the truck.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I do believe you made the truck, my friend. We made some good choices, I think. :beer: Should be getting down to the last few things.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Yeah I am steadily picking away atthe list. Tonight I finished up the rocksliders. Gonna get them installed tommorrow along with the fullsize spare. Got the door seals in. Gonna have to pull the driverside door pannel off and do some adjusting. As of now the list is.

Wire in the heater blower
Paint and install tailgate
Paint top
install new windshield and seal
finish mounting seats
Install front output seal on the tcase.
Also you'll be happy to know that I inspected all of the brake components while I had the wheels off and everything looked to be be fairly new.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I am happy to know that the brakes are in good shape. They have been in place for probably close to 10 years. If they ain't broke...don't break them. The wife still doesn't know about half the stuff done to this rig. Oh, well. She'll get over it or I'll be sleeping in it. Good thing I got those new seats...

Anyway, keep up the good work. You rock.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Alright got alot done on the rig today. Pulled a 14 hour day. Sliders are in and finished. Spare tire is in. Also a big one off of my list is done. THE SEATS ARE IN. Most of the day was spent fabbing mounts for them. I ended up using a piece of 2x2 angle.

Quality time with the drill press

I ended up having to change them after I sat them in because the outside mount fell in a bend. Here they are in the truck. I am going to have to do some touch up on the bottom bars of the cage. I had already painted them nice and pretty just to have to grind them clean to prep for welding. DOH!!

Here is my nephew giving it a sit. In this pic you can see the fullsize spare and the sliders.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I personally would like to see some videos of it running up and down the street. I am curious to see how it sounds and accelerates. I never got a chance to drive it tuned up. I am sure it will be fun to drive. Let me know how it drives.:scout:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Gary Money shot to coming soon. I think you will be happy with the way it is running. The new dizzy I put in got rid of the surging idle you had. The petronix really helped with starting and throttle response. I would also have to say that this 345 twists up quicker than any I have ever heard. As far as driveability I will let you know as soon as I put the windshield in. I am itching to see how it rides on the new meats. Also I am sure you are going to be disapointed to hear that the big gay.... um I mean "factory steering wheel is gonna have to go. It reallly needs the aditional room a grant would give you for getting in and out. Shucks.... lol

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I like the factory sterring wheel. It adds that old school touch to the rig. If you're gonna take it off, at least don't pitch it. It will make some nice wall art in the new garage. I would have thought for sure you would have put the windshield in and taken it for a spin...and only 14 hours? Slacker. Just kidding. looks great. I am still looking for a not outrageously priced step transformer for the corner lamps. I might have to bite the bullet and drop the change to buy one. Found a couple of little ones, but the wusses only work monday through friday so I have to wait.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Actually. Ed. At Old Iron Slacking is not alowed. I did pull the new glass and seal out of the shed , but didn't get it put in. I spent part of the day today touching up the cage from the seat install. I also drilled and installed new bolts in where I had replaced the front floors. Ed the steering wheel is totaly up to you. I would recomend a ralley wheel just for ease getting in and out of the truck, but I will leave the stocker in and let you decide after you squeeze past that one a few times.I also took it for a ride minus one windshield. I think 75 was as fast as I could get it without one. Here is the vid. Also here is a posers just for you Gary. Money shots to follow soon. In between all the work that I am doing my little one had her tonsills and adnoids taken out so we have been taking care of her. So we all spent most of the Sunday watching TV.

And the vid

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pIlP3hBQo50&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pIlP3hBQo50&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Here she is safe and sound in the garage again after her first bath.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I love the dash. I think it looks mean. It looked like it got up and went pretty good. Thanks for the hard work! I am itchin to get back...

gmbarker78

Farmall Cub
Ed you need to die those seats man.

Looking real good, seems to have plenty of power. How long is the garage bay open before the next project?:cornfused:

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I finally got to listen to the sound on the video. I dig it. It sounds pretty mean. I am sure it talks a bit as you mash the skinny pedal. I can't wait to get by there. I will probably be by there this week to put the current license stickers on it.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
I haven't posted pics since i got the top on it. The owner stoped by today and gave it a once over. Ed I got the driver side door opening and shutting better. For the rest that haven't seen the work done previously by someone else. The door lines are terrible on this thing. Someone used angle iron to replace the center cab mounts , but welded them in way to low. I tried to compesate for this when I put in the front cab mounts. This helped the problem , but did not fix it. Other than major surgery the only way to fix, and by fix I mean hide the problem would be to run a body lift bushings, or some big *** shims on just the rear two mounts. I got the doors opening and closing pretty good, but by no means perfect. Anyway here are some pics with the top on.

Oh and it has a windshield in it now too.

ihscoutmatt

High Wheeler
I haven't posted pics since i got the top on it. The owner stoped by today and gave it a once over. Ed I got the driver side door opening and shutting better. For the rest that haven't seen the work done previously by someone else. The door lines are terrible on this thing. Someone used angle iron to replace the center cab mounts , but welded them in way to low. I tried to compesate for this when I put in the front cab mounts. This helped the problem , but did not fix it. Other than major surgery the only way to fix, and by fix I mean hide the problem would be to run a body lift bushings, or some big *** shims on just the rear two mounts. I got the doors opening and closing pretty good, but by no means perfect. Anyway here are some pics with the top on.

Oh and it has a windshield in it now too.

that looks great, you should add some bushwackers to finish out the look:rockon:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Thanks man. I still got to do a few odds and ends to finish it, but it is pretty much finished. I tried to talk Ed into some OEM stripes in a Matte finish they would really set it off.

raleighrugger

Farmall Cub
Looking good Levi, nice work. Any chance we'll get to see the rig in person at the Winter Meet & Greet?

By the way, I wish I had a nice clean well lit garage to work on my rig. You're making me jealous. The gravel patch at the end of my driveway does not make it easy to get the work I need to do done. You get eaten alive by Mosquitoes and sweat you @SS off in the Summer, and in the Fall/Winter you have little light, cold & rain and tons of falling leaves.

Keep up the good work! Reading this thread is getting me inspired to get my Scout done.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got a rather large update. The owner took possesion of his rig.........:punk: I will let him give the details, but I believe it made it's first 140 mile trip since serious work without issue. Ed I just wanted to say thanks for giving me a chance to build your truck. Just so it is known this is only the fourth Scout I have ever built, and it is a learning experience like anything else. I hope that with the knowledge gained I can make the next one bigger and better. Again thanks Ed :beer:

List of things done and or replaced-

Cab mounts and wedges replaced
Floor pans replaced
driver side rocker pannel replaced
Herculined twice:hammer:
Painted
H1 marker lights installed
Full 6 point cage
Rock sliders
Full size spare mount insatalled
New wheels sand blasted and painted
New tires
New seats installed and tied to cage
Child saftey seat tie down added to rear seat
Loose wires fixed
Heater box installed/ blower motor wired in
Timed/tuned
Petronix ignition upgrade
Bright light kit installed
Transfer case front output seal replaced

I think that is it, but I am sure there is more. Good luck with the rig man.:beer:

Last edited:

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I actually ran it for 2 straight hours on the interstate. It ran
like a dream. It held 70mph like it was nothing. I averaged about 12 mpg. I know Levi was a little worried because I don't get real excited about stuff. I will say this: Levi met or exceeded every expectation that I had for
this build. Is it done, no. They never are. There are a few things I still need to do like a radio, fix the body bushings (NOT LEVI'S WORK!!! He didn't hose anything like the other holes did), and some minor adjustments.