BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1971 810/Scout II

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

ihscoutmatt

High Wheeler
Well yeah I lost it going down the road, but more specificaly why???

it wasnt bolted down, and they catch wind very good, I almost lost one off of a scout I was driving that way didnt know the top wasnt bolted on till it started lifting off luckily I was able to slow down and hold on to it with one hand and keep it on

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Air forced into the rig while being hauled floated it right off?

Looking real good Levi, Ed will be hooked-up when he gets back.

Thanks Gary. And yes sort of it wasn't being hauled though.

it wasnt bolted down, and they catch wind very good, I almost lost one off of a scout I was driving that way didnt know the top wasnt bolted on till it started lifting off luckily I was able to slow down and hold on to it with one hand and keep it on

Yep Sad but true. I thought I could go slow without bolting it down. I was driving to the truss shop about a mile away to use the 100% duty air compressor to run the DA sander. As I was going down a hill i watched it do cartwheels off the rig and skid down the road. :oops: I already have a replacment for it so Chalk thatone up to learning a lesson. The bad thing is I almost put some screws in it, but though ahh I will just have to take em right back out to get to the bed rails> DOH>>>>.

Any way Gary and Matt? PM me your addies.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got some updates today. With Turbo Diesel Painted I was able to get Ed's rig back in the garage for some more work. I started my nephew back where he left off stripping the Passenger door and fender.

I also did some stuff that need taken care of before the rig was driven anymore. Nothing glorious , but the main thing I noticed was the fuel lines from the pump to the carb were dangerously close to the exaust mani. so it got move to the correct spot coming up in front of the block. I was originaly in the engine compartment to install the petronix ignitor, but I went ahead and started rerouting some of the vacuum lines also.

On to the Petronix install. I have heard alot of different opinions on the petronix ignitors, but I will run one in every rig IH I own. Amazing difference in throttle response, and cold starts.

Pull out the old points and condenser and throw them in your emergency kit.

Drop in the pickup

Slide on the magnetic sleeve. Don't force it you may have to rotate it slightly to slide into place.

Use the supplied feeler gauge to set the air gap then lock down the pickup.

Snap on your old rotor replace the cap and hook up the wires. Red + black - on the coil and run it.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got another update. I am trying to get this thing ready for some high build primer. Once primered I am going to start bending some tube for the cage and sliders. Again this is nothing glamorous , but another detail that had to be taken care of. The windshield frame we swaped in was overall solid, but the driverside drip rail was ate up. I used this chance to teach my nephew a little bit about metal work and pride in what you do. I basically explained what and how and let him do it.

Old piece out.

Luckily the drip rails from the other frame were still decent.

cut to fit

fit looks good. I think he is pleased.. little tribute to Paul..

clamped in ready to weld.

I gave him a shot at welding it in. He got the first tacks in, but thin metal is really hard to learn on so I slid him over and took coontrol as it was getting late.

Job well done

Also got the bumper off the front while he was doing his thing. I guess whoever painted this thing before wasn't much for masking.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got some quick updates. Between all the rain we have been having this week I finally managed to get the truck up to the truss shop to finish sanding the rig. Also pulled the last of the little stuff off of her. She is now NAKED. :D

Door handles and lock cylinders out.

Gave the driver side another quick once over.

Maybe by the end of the week i will have it shot down with high build primer then I am gonna start bending some tube.

:tank:

Arkansas Scout

Farmall Cub
WOW!!! That's gonna be one nice scout! Lots of hard work, but it'll be right. Wish I had some extra cash to just drop mine off. lol. Looking good, can't wait to see it done.

Chris

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Chris,

It will be very nice when it gets done. :punk: Levi does some pretty sweet work. I've been over this other rig and watched his build thread. As far as extra cash, I have a desk right next to me that you are more than welcome to occupy to fund your rig. Granted it is in the middle of the desert and you have to get through the paperwork, but the pay is nice.

Ed

ihscoutmatt

High Wheeler
Chris,

It will be very nice when it gets done. :punk: Levi does some pretty sweet work. I've been over this other rig and watched his build thread. As far as extra cash, I have a desk right next to me that you are more than welcome to occupy to fund your rig. Granted it is in the middle of the desert and you have to get through the paperwork, but the pay is nice.

Ed

What is the job? Ive been without a job since March

Arkansas Scout

Farmall Cub
What is the job? Might be worth shutting down the shop for. lol Nah, I own a little Heat & Air shop, but at the rate I'm buying rent houses and cows, just seems like there's not much left, nor time. haha.

Chris

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Well........ Air compressor bit the big one. Thought I was gonna cheap out and buy a used one local. Found a nice 5 hp 220v 29 gallon job. Got it home wired it in and the preasure regulator shut off switch was bad. Replaced it. Capacitors are now bad. Motor just don't have enough *** to start after it builds up once. Soooooo. Trying to cheap out cost me $200 bills. So after some search I think I am gonna order a new unit. Something along the lines of a harbor freight job. So the primer is on hold till then.

BO185

Y-Block King
Well........ Air compressor bit the big one. Thought I was gonna cheap out and buy a used one local. Found a nice 5 hp 220v 29 gallon job. Got it home wired it in and the pressure regulator shut off switch was bad. Replaced it. Capacitors are now bad. Motor just don't have enough *** to start after it builds up once. Soooooo. Trying to cheap out cost me $200 bills. So after some search I think I am gonna order a new unit. Something along the lines of a harbor freight job. So the primer is on hold till then.
I was in the same boat last week!:no: Just now got my compressor back up and running then the PRSO won't kick it off! I have seen 200psi in my compressor!:sweatdrop:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Alright got the new/ used compressor back up and running so we are in buisness. Laid down two thick coats of high build primer. Gonna bend up the main hoop , and front hoop this week !!

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Beginings of BLING !!

:punk: Got started bending some tube for the cage. I am using 1.75 .120 wall HREW for the cage. Got the main hoop bent , and started on thefront stringers.

Cutting some tube

main hoop in the bender.

in the rig

Since Ed's fuse panel is located in the glove box I had to make sure not to limit the acess to much, but still wanted to keep it tight to make it easy to get in and out of the rig.

Ruff Stuff Feet plate. Dan is the man !! :beer:

Stay tuned !!:tank:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Glad you got em. Right now I am waiting to place an order of tubing. Probably be about three weeks before I get rolling on the cage again. In the meantime I am gonna pull the hood, tailgate and Grill and get those painted and put up out of harms way. I got something planned for the hood. I am planning on starting back up this weekend.