BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1971 810/Scout II

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I have a 1971 810/Scout II. It has a bunch of parts stamped with the Maple Leaf. Pretty cool truck when I got it. Had the SOA and reverse shackle. It also has a track bar. A very good friend gave it to me. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• DSC01639.JPG
    DSC01639.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 566
  • Truck 14.jpg
    Truck 14.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 582

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I drove the Scout for about 8 or 9 months daily and then I pulled the engine. I also replaced the wiring. I used a wiring kit and adapted it for the Scout. There are some differences in the first year of the Scout II and the later years.

1. The power steering pump brackets are different. At least mine is different from the 1973 bracket on the donor.
2. Mine came with a BW trans. It is shorter than the 727. Now I have to get a new front drive shaft. Might have been easier and cheaper to have the BW rebuilt than the 727, but hindsight is 20/20.
3. The shifters are different. The BW shifter connects to the shifter cable on the bottom and the 727 shifter connected to the top. The throw arms are different lengths as well. BW trans has a removable bellhousing.
4. The bolt patterns on the top and the bedrails were different. Mine don't seem to line up.
5. The fan did not have a thermostat. Not sure if that was PO or factory. I am sure someone will tell me.

ihscoutmatt

High Wheeler
I have a 1971 810/Scout II. It has a bunch of parts stamped with the Maple Leaf. Pretty cool truck when I got it. Had the SOA and reverse shackle. It also has a track bar. A very good friend gave it to me. Here are some pics:

good looking Scout there:rockon:

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Thanks! I am planning to have some work done by Levi (Old Iron Offroad). He is going to replace the floors, put in a roll cage and do some welding work on the body. I just don't have time to learn to weld. We are going to replace the windshield frame as well. I will try to get some more pics up in a little bit.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I did a little more work on the Scout today. It was a really nice day, about 70 and sunny. I removed the stock heater. It had been blowing smoke into the cab and I thought it might be plugged up. It had some leaves in it, but not too much. I saw some indication of a leak, so I will not be putting it back. I am thinking about putting electric heat in the cab. NAPA has a small heater and a slightly larger heater. I am thinking about a small one for defrost and the larger one for heating the rest of the cab.

Pulling the heater was fairly easy. There were two (2) 1/2" bolts holding the box to the fender and two (2) 1/2" nuts holding the blower to the firewall. It took a little convincing with the prybar to get the whole shooting match out. I have a small leak in the front somewhere, so draining it was not an issue. I have bypassed the heater. I simply removed the hose coming from the water pump and attached it to the intake inlet. I only lost a little bit of fluid in the process. I will drain and fix the leak later this week. I have some other things to do.

I am debating about what to do with the open space under the hood. I would like to put in a second battery and run a 24v system or run onboard air. The fuel canister will hit the can later as well. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Now that the internet works again...

I took the Scout for a spin. I am having a huge problem with bolts walking out. I lost the gasket around the oil filter mount and it did the cool James Bond smoke screen deal. The really sucky part was the fact that I was about a mile from the house and had to shut it down. I was not happy about that. So now I have to put some oil in the big fella and try this again. I also need to chase down a pesky coolant leak. I am really a hair away from gluing the flipping things on there.

On a brighter note, I am picking up a welder. I haven't been successful in burning down the house yet, so I figure I will try a new toy.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I finally got everything buttoned up. Well, I think I have it buttoned up. I need to recheck the exhaust. I was reading about 50 to 52 psi on the oil at idle. Not bad, I guess. I will try to take it on a shake down run tomorrow and see what I can break.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Just wanted to update Ed's build. I have Ed's rig in the shop now. It'll be getting new floor pans, front cab mounts, wedges, drivers rocker, paint, interior spayed with liner , and some Hummer marker light. Right now I have been addressing some of the engine leaks. Last night I got a new gasket put on the oil filter housing, removed one of the water tubes to repair leak, and installed a new MC before I left Ed's. Also put it on a timing light and noticed that the timing would jump 3-7 degrees. pulled the cap and the dizzy shaft has alot of slop , so it will be replaced with a new used Holley points dizzy with a petronix ignitor. Pics to follow.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got the water tube reinstalled. Decided to start cleaning up the wiring. Ed had installed a autowire rewire kit. He did it by removing the dash and doing in the house while he was gimped up with a broken leg. For the most part the wires were correct, just a little long where he had put ends on them without really knowing how long they needed to be. First I started with the engine compartment.

This went to

this

I started trouble shooting the rear brakes and blinkers as they were not working. I found that one wire was missing off of the column side, and that tail turn and right blinkers were brought into the same lead on the pas. side dual fillament bulb. They were also trying to feed over to the driver side rear where the pas tail light was fed across. now that the problem has been ID'd I am going to start on this tommorow. Just so people know this didn't look quite this bad before, I had to pull alot out from under the dash to Id the problem. Course guess that is why Ed brought it to me so I could fix her up nice :D:beer:

Now some random pics for filler. Some Scout rust. No bueno.

I am sure there is more under there

I still have to pick up the wedges and cab mounts, so stay tuned.

Last edited:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Continuing on from last night. Sorted and shortened some more wiring also got all of the rear lights working.

Nice and neat!! I have the rest of the stuff to finish the dash. It is going to get a coat or two of black gloss rustoleum. The dash pad is in OK shape I may dig around ad try to find a better one. I am also going to modify the stock gauge cover to accept the round oil and water temp gauges and light them with the blue LED's ed used for some other dash lighting. I was wiping down the underside of the motor ,axle,ect and noticed some interesting work done before Ed aquired the truck. This is the dumbest cut and turn I have ever seen. I am almost tempted to tear the front axle down just to see what size tubing they used inside of the axle tubes.:nono:

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
I will give Levi the shameless plug: LEVI IS THE MAN.

I am a hack at the end of the day, to be brutally honest about it. I will try anything twice, but Levi is the professional when it comes to making it look good. I got it to run, but that is about the most I can claim. All credit for the good looking stuff goes to Levi.:punk::wrenching:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Thanks for the compliments guys, but this is just the start.

I got the rig stripped and new cab mounts and wedges in hand. Gotta get some more tubing ordered for a cage! I will post up some pics tonight.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Some progress shots. Gonna swap windshield frames sometime in the next few. Once I get rolling on this one it will fly by. Stay tuned :yes:

And here is a better shot of the dash. I took the other with my cell.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
FREAKING SWEET!!!! I am going to be sending some parts along here in the next couple of weeks, so be on the look out.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got a good bit done on the rig this weekend. Got the old windshield frame off and the new/ used one on. Also decide to swap the drivers side door while I was swaping the hinges. The other one was just a little rougher than what I wanted to work with. Got the driver side wedge and cab mount in , and the passenger side cab mount out.

This is one of the best patch jobs I have ever saw. Cold one anybody??

My nephew swaping the wiper motors.

Cheap labor.:D

With the new cab mounts and wedges and the new hinges the door close great.

Passenger side awaiting the same treatment.

edstarnes

Farmall Cub
Looking good. A few more months and I will be all over that. We will have to take it on a shake down run when I get back in the states.