BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1970 1100 Pickup - Cause everyone has a Scout.

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

daily1100

Farmall Cub
Since I've been asking a ton of questions, I suppose I should probably jump into a build thread since this will become my daily driver. Some call me dumb for making this my daily, others are more of a "good luck" mindset...

I had a 2018 Tacoma lease, with the current market I got out of the least 8 months early and made $3,000 so I decided to buy a old truck because, well I am a old soul in a young(er) man... I ended up coming across this 1970 1100 4x4 which was for sale on Facebook from a guy in Kansas. Contacted him, asked some questions, got some pictures and video then paypal'ed him the money to get it shipped... talk about stressful.

It has the International 304 v8 w/ a 3spd automatic, Dana 44 rear end with 4.09 gearing which... is kinda rough but hey, we're living with it. It has some issues with the body, but it runs, drives and stops.

The goal is to go through it, make it super reliable, safe and fun to drive. I'm going to be adding a retro radio, redo the seat, the windshield needs to be resealed and I need all new gaskets on the doors.

Attachments

• EC0FE0FE-7634-4C0C-9307-90E7C057732A.jpeg
    EC0FE0FE-7634-4C0C-9307-90E7C057732A.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 52
  • C1490377-0134-402E-8AA9-77604185EE43.jpeg
    C1490377-0134-402E-8AA9-77604185EE43.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 54
  • tempImagezZhmDU.png
    tempImagezZhmDU.png
    12.6 MB · Views: 58
  • sideshot.png
    sideshot.png
    14.9 MB · Views: 53
  • frontend.png
    frontend.png
    13.7 MB · Views: 53

Gunfighter97

High Wheeler
Nice looking truck. Have you looked under the mats yet? You could buff that paint and it would probably come back to life.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

daily1100

Farmall Cub
Nice looking truck. Have you looked under the mats yet? You could buff that paint and it would probably come back to life.

Truck was originally green... lol I have no idea when this was painted but the color behind the dash and such is green lol like an olive green.

daily1100

Farmall Cub
Truck is currently at the shop for a few days getting the following...
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Oil Change (Rotella)
- Safety Check
- Plan is for the mechanic to go through the trucks steering, braking and drivetrain to make sure that I am not making any type of stupid mistakes driving this thing daily. I'm not trying to risk myself or others on the roadway just in favor of driving some sweet looking truck.

When it gets back to me, it will be going to a local carb pro to have the carb gone through. Battling a really rough starting, then once I get it started and warm, put it in gear and try to get moving and it dies. I'm thinking it's the accelerator pump but it likely needs a rebuild as I saw some fuel leaking from the throttle cable side onto the manifold. This shop is very well known here in dealing with carbs. Once it's running reliably, I'm going to save up and get myself Holley EFI and the Retro Radio.

daily1100

Farmall Cub
Bilstein 5100's came in today, now I just need to figure out what spacers I need on the front upper mount and then I'll need to figure out how to adjust the size to mount them. I plan to use all fresh new hardware which I'll grab some the hardware store in a few days. I also need to determine which side is the top and which is the bottom or if it matters.

daily1100

Farmall Cub
Watched a quick video of someone doing 5100's on their Chevy pickup, while mine has two eye holes I'm sure it's the same. What I found odd was the only reason they jacked the truck up was for the rear because the shock didn't reach the bottom hole. I suppose that seems easy enough...

scout2000

Lives in an IH Dealership
Congratulations on your new (non-Scout) Binder.

Looks like a great starting spot.

daily1100

Farmall Cub
Truck is still in the shop and I'm torn...

I dropped it of Monday August 2nd, I told him that I wasn't in a huge rush to get it back and asked him to go through the front end to check for obvious safety issues or parts that need urgent replacement / repair, do an oil change, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I have yet to hear how it's coming along... I don't mind doing the work myself in terms of the oil change, pan gasket and valve cover gasket - just thought it would be convenient with it being there. Do I call him and tell him that he just needs to go through the front end if he hasn't started the other work and I would like the truck back by Friday?

Also, I ended up ordering some upgraded headlights ( Hella Vision Plus Conversion Headlights) I compared the price from Summit Racing to IH Parts America, Summit Racing with shipping was about $25 cheaper so I went with them. If I understand correctly, these are 100% plug and play - will they add any additional strain on the electrical system to where I should upgrade the battery or alternator?

1628689121052.png

daily1100

Farmall Cub
Caught up with the mechanic yesterday... got some good news and some bad news...

Good :
- Front end is in good shape, no glaring issues or things that need immediate replacement or attention that I wasn't already aware of.
- I should have my truck back by the end of next week, due to the lack of employee crisis plaguing America where no one wants to work - he's a one man band.
- Oil change has been completed, pan gasket changed.

Bad :
- During the course of completing the oil pan gasket... a random bolt, just a lone rogue bolt was found in the oil pan - with 0 idea where it could've come from.
- I'm impatient and don't have my truck back yet.

daily1100

Farmall Cub
I would want a picture ASAP in order to have the forum identify it. Loose bolts inside the engine make me very nervous!
Rut
I agree Rut, the oddest part is there appears to be 0 issues with motor operation aside from a passenger side what sounds like valve tick. I'll request a picture today and post when I get it.

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
Would think if it looked like anything important the guy who did the gasket would have checked to see if something was wrong.
Most cases it's something small that found it's way in there from some previous repair when something was dropped. A picture will help for sure.

Perdido

Binder Driver
I agree Rut, the oddest part is there appears to be 0 issues with motor operation aside from a passenger side what sounds like valve tick. I'll request a picture today and post when I get it.
My thoughts go like this: passenger side tick, bolt in pan equals the possibility of it being a rod bolt. What a loose rod bolt on an MGB looks like.
88F1E762-D40B-4DA0-A7D1-6922CA57D588.jpeg
7E31804E-ECFE-49AA-AFBE-B5FB1E0A959A.jpeg
Rut

Gunfighter97

High Wheeler
My thoughts go like this: passenger side tick, bolt in pan equals the possibility of it being a rod bolt. What a loose rod bolt on an MGB looks like. View attachment 212403 View attachment 212404 Rut
Out of curiosity, was that one savable or no?

Edit: now that i noticed the hole in the block Ima guess no lol