BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1968 Scout 800 LS swap

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
@BO185 or @scout2000 I am in the process of mounting the ecm. I am waiting for parts so this is this weeks project. I was wondering where you guys mounted the ecm. I wanted to mount it under the hood but I am second guessing that location. I might remove my glove box and put it there with my obdii port.
Thoughts?

BO185

Y-Block King
@BO185 or @scout2000 I am in the process of mounting the ecm. I am waiting for parts so this is this weeks project. I was wondering where you guys mounted the ecm. I wanted to mount it under the hood but I am second guessing that location. I might remove my glove box and put it there with my obdii port.
Thoughts?
If its a Gen III is a PCM and larger than the later Gen IV ECM. Underhood will not hurt it they are pretty much sealed and installed under hood stock. Typical placement on a scout would be glove box if going inside. But I would keep it under the hood.

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
Did you find a home for the 196?
I did find a home for the 196. It is going to a good home.

@BO185 I found a place for the PCM. The motor is a Gen III 5.3L engine. I was not aware of the difference between ECM and PCM. I am placing the PCM driver's side next to the clutch and brake mounts. I have some rubber isolaters that I will be using on the final product. The only downside is that is where my windshield washer fluid reservoir was. Now I have to find a place for that.
20190109_221457_resized.jpg
IMG_20190110_060133_645.jpg

BO185

Y-Block King
I found a place for the PCM. The motor is a Gen III 5.3L engine. I was not aware of the difference between ECM and PCM. I am placing the PCM driver's side next to the clutch and brake mounts.
The Gen III PCM (powertrain control module) Does engine and transmission. Gen IV's ECM (Engine control mod) does engine only, they use a TCM to control trans.

Tons of options for washer bottles, find a place with space and then go to wrecker and find a bottle that size.

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
So I haven't updated in a while. I cut my hand pretty good and had to take a couple of weeks off from working on the Scout. However, I am back at it. I got my flywheel this week and am ready to install it and get everything buttoned up for the final time.
51679321_10217950586617612_3594498816247595008_n.jpg

My next question is the fuel system. What did you guys use for a fuel pump? In my old Scout I had an external fuel pump from an Econoline van (maybe?) that worked well. I have a 15 gallon CJ5 gas tank in the Scout right now. I was thinking of using Novak conversions in tank fuel pump setup. But this it $280. I would like a cheaper option. Let me know what you guys have done.

Last edited:

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
Question for everyone. I haven't made any large strides lately. However I am working on the cooling system. Does anyone know if a water pump from a Corvette LS2 engine will fit on a 5.3? I want the water pump outlet to be in a different position.

scout2000

Lives in an IH Dealership
Question for everyone. I haven't made any large strides lately. However I am working on the cooling system. Does anyone know if a water pump from a Corvette LS2 engine will fit on a 5.3? I want the water pump outlet to be in a different position.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your water pump question first hand. Assuming you don't get a definitive answer here, the best place to ask, IMHO, is to go create an account for yourself over on LS1tech.com and ask there.

Good luck.

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your water pump question first hand. Assuming you don't get a definitive answer here, the best place to ask, IMHO, is to go create an account for yourself over on LS1tech.com and ask there.

Good luck.
Thanks scout2000. I was able to find the answer that I needed. I have had an account on LS1tech but forgot about that resource. I was able to search there and find that most any LS style water pump should work. A lot of people are using either the corvette or camaro pumps due to the placement of the water inlet and outlet.

scout2000

Thoughts?

very late reply. somehow didn't see it when posted :(

I move my battery location, and, my PCM is mounted in my OEM battery box location.

Definitely do the OBD II port inside.

All kinds of cool iPhone/iPad apps you can purchase and watch what your engine is doing as you drive down the road, assuming you don't turn wrenches for a living and already have better tools.

Greg Williams72

Farmall Cub
neat truck.

I think more than anything, I'm interested in your adapters, and how well they work with the OEM transmission and transfer case + drive shafts.

I remember specifically, I did my LS swap (325 CID), and I only made it 72 miles before twisting my drive shaft. And, most of those miles were highway miles.

seems you have been here for quite some time, since 2002, but very few post. Hope this is a very 'obvious' comment, but someone needs/wants that 196. I've heard more than my fair share of 152->196 upgrade stories, and all of those are positive ones.

I don't really see a question in your post, so I'm just going to close with the comment that I am looking forward to watching your build. You are correct, there are tons of LS swaps here, in all that, I do not believe I've watched anyone attempt to use the remainder of the OEM IH drive train.

should be interesting.
I saw this post and was wondering if anyone has used a V6 3400 LS swap? I am removing the 327 sbc and adding one now. I have a 350 turbo auto I’m going to keep with adapter. I have power brakes/power steering and axels from a scout 2. My question is there any threads on a LS 3400 swap in a scout 800?

mongocanfly

Y-Block King
ok..
that engine doesn't fall under the LS group..
maybe you had some better search results , but I can find very little about that engine being swapped into much of anything..i couldn't find any trans adapters either...
if your wanting a V6 , a 4.3 might be a better choice

scout2000

I saw this post and was wondering if anyone has used a V6 3400 LS swap? I am removing the 327 sbc and adding one now. I have a 350 turbo auto I’m going to keep with adapter.

If you've posted your planned usage for your 800, once your engine/power train swap is complete, sorry, I've missed it or overlooked it.

If you are planning any significant amount of highway driving, I can't recommend strongly enough, something 4-speed or more, where the final gear is an overdrive.

scout2000

2004 Impala.

I'm generally stuck in the last century with vehicles, and I had to go look your Impala up.

Apparently, this is an 8th generation Impala, manufactured from 2000 to 2005. This vehicle was a front wheel drive vehicle only. It seems that for 2004-5, the impala SS came with a L67 supercharged V6 @ 231 CID and rated @ 240 Hp.

My big concern, is that a lot of these smaller engines (good, bad and otherwise) are frequently only put into front wheel drive cars, and as there is never a rear drive version of this engine used, none of the easy/obvious parts are ever developed that would facilitate making things easier, not harder, in a swap situation.

I'm asking out loud, because I don't know, and if you're at the point where you're asking questions on an open forum, I'm assuming that you do, was this engine ever used in a rear wheel drive configuration? Is it set up where someone could bolt up a bell housing for a turbo 350 or a 700R4 or a 4L60?

Diggs00

Farmall Cub
Yeah look for some LS3 camaro take outs they dump down and don't stick out behind block as far as truck units. Usually $100-150 a set used vs cutting anything. Exhaust shops that do headers or local GM deal my have take off laying around.

The TH400 is way stronger than the th350, the TH400 is same ratios as the 4L80 less the OD. I would do a 4l80 over a 400 just for reason of tunablity shifting it. Plus you get an extra gear in low so you can use the OD in low and gain speed if trail riding alot vs shifting to 4high.
Just picked up a pair 2013 camaro ZL1 (LSA motor) exhaust headers, hope they mate up to my 2002 (lq9 motor) :|

Carlos

Farmall Cub
Just picked up a pair 2013 camaro ZL1 (LSA motor) exhaust headers, hope they mate up to my 2002 (lq9 motor) :|
Hi, I was wondering how your build was coming along- especially w/ the Camaro exhaust headers? I'm at that point myself and couldn't find any ppl using the Camaro headers fitting well w/ their motor mounts. Hope yours worked out without a hitch.

Diggs00

Farmall Cub
@Carlos I am just refreshing the engine at the moment, fitting engine for mounts will be next. I would say I am about 6 weeks out before the fitting up. If you get there before me , let me know!

scout2000

Hi, I was wondering how your build was coming along- especially w/ the Camaro exhaust headers? I'm at that point myself and couldn't find any ppl using the Camaro headers fitting well w/ their motor mounts. Hope yours worked out without a hitch.

If you've gone thru any of BO185's awesome swap threads, the Firebird/Camaro exhaust manifolds seem to be an awesome choice for S2 transplants. OTOH, Scouts have wider frames vs S2's, and you're open to more options.

If you've seen my 800A build thread, I used exhaust manifolds from an LS2 powered Cadillac. I had those ceramic coated, and many years out, those still look great. I'd acquired a (not as nice looking but probably better) set of exhaust manifolds from a C6 Corvette that I'd planned to used on my '62 Scout 80. Those have oxygen sensor taps built right into the exhaust manifold. For my Cadillac manifolds on my 800A, I had to add that further down stream on the exhaust system.

Last edited: