BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1968 Scout 800 LS swap

Binder TV

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
Here is a little background for everyone. I started with a 1968 Scout 800 that was bone stock. It had a 196, T90, Dana 20 and stock axles. It ran great and never really gave me any problems. However, after driving it for a couple years I started to get the itch for more power and more reliability. I used to have a 1972 Scout II that I had swapped a 6.0L engine in. I started to think about how great that was. Next thing I know I have pulled my 196 and bought a 5.3L engine and started the process.
Where I am now is that I have the new engine and trans mounted but nothing else is done. I will start posting pics and part numbers when I get things going. I know that there have been a ton of LS swaps and builds on everything else that I am doing but I'm starting this biuld thread anyways.
The plan is to use a 5.3L, T18, Dana 20, Scout II Dana 44s. The reason for the T18 and Dana 20 was because I had the adapter and the trans and transfer case. I want to do a sort of resto mod and keep it fairly stock looking and nothing over the top. This is the plan but it is always subject to change.

Attachments

• 20181001_102430.jpg
    20181001_102430.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 216

scout2000

Lives in an IH Dealership
neat truck.

I think more than anything, I'm interested in your adapters, and how well they work with the OEM transmission and transfer case + drive shafts.

I remember specifically, I did my LS swap (325 CID), and I only made it 72 miles before twisting my drive shaft. And, most of those miles were highway miles.

seems you have been here for quite some time, since 2002, but very few post. Hope this is a very 'obvious' comment, but someone needs/wants that 196. I've heard more than my fair share of 152->196 upgrade stories, and all of those are positive ones.

I don't really see a question in your post, so I'm just going to close with the comment that I am looking forward to watching your build. You are correct, there are tons of LS swaps here, in all that, I do not believe I've watched anyone attempt to use the remainder of the OEM IH drive train.

should be interesting.

scout2000

Nicxt, replying to your comment in post #3.

not that I've observed a hundred 152->196 swaps, in reality, its just been a handful, but for those who have made that swap, the vehicle owners in question have been ecstatic over the new-found power of the larger 4-cyl engine.

I want to be careful in my wording here, as I don't want to dance around the word 'rare', but my understanding is that the critical component for the swap is getting an intake manifold that originates from a Scout, and not a Scout 2.

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
20180707_170255.jpg
20180707_170327.jpg
20180727_093249.jpg

@Nicxt44191 or if anybody wants the 196, PM me and we can work something out. I need some parts so I am up for any trades.

@scout2000 you are correct that I have been here for a while. I used to have a Scout II that I swapped in a LS motor. I had a mini build thread on that. After that I was busy for a few years and was not able to post anything. As for twisting the drive-line, I am going to have to get a new drive-line made. The motor/adapter/trans/t-case combo is about 6" longer than the previous 196/t90/d20 combo. There is a local drive-line shop that I have used for years and never had an issue, so I'm not too concerned about that.

My current concern is that my Scout was a 4 cyl scout. Which means it has a different engine bay than the V8 scouts. So I am trimming here and there. I had to completely remove the radiator support and cross member. So now I am going to have to find a radiator that will fit, make a radiator mount, and then make a cross member. I really want to keep it simple, so if I could find a factory radiator somewhere that will fit, that is what I want. If anybody has ideas let me know.

Attachments

• 20180727_093314.jpg
    20180727_093314.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 118

BO185

Y-Block King
Are you still running the same engine in your Scout from years ago? I remember looking at your posts and using a lot of your information. Probably still will.
Scout tub is on my rotisserie. I sold the motor few years ago. I may go Gen V L83 5.3L or L86 6.2L depends on what I can find maybe the 5.3L version as its cheaper if not I will just toss an LQ4 on it with a LSA blower on it.

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
20181224_105449.jpg
I got the motor mounts done and the transmission mount done. It is now sitting under it's own weight. I need to cut the firewall a bit to fit the exhaust manifold, but not a ton. I am also going to have to fab up a radiator support. Plus there are still tons of little things to do

Last edited:

scout2000

Yes, it had a th400 and a np 205.

What was you opinion of the Turbo 400 transmission for that application?

In past lives, I've had great luck with this transmission (significantly less with the Turbo 350). My current plan is to use a Turbo 400 behind an LS-series engine for my off-road only '62 Scout.

Just fishing to see if you had any specific comments, problems, etc?

scout2000

I got the motor mounts done and the transmission mount done. It is now sitting under it's own weight. I need to cut the firewall a bit to fit the exhaust manifold, but not a ton. I am also going to have to fab up a radiator support. Plus there are still tons of little things to do

I'm curious as to what exhaust manifolds you choose to use?

When I did my swap, BO185 found these exhaust manifolds for me:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...t-800a-build-thread.119223/page-5#post-889737

They had originally came from an LS-2 powered Cadillac.

I had originally made the assumption that I didn't need to do any firewall manipulation due to the Scout having a wider frame, vs the Scout 2. Maybe not.

BO185

Y-Block King
Yeah look for some LS3 camaro take outs they dump down and don't stick out behind block as far as truck units. Usually $100-150 a set used vs cutting anything. Exhaust shops that do headers or local GM deal my have take off laying around.

The TH400 is way stronger than the th350, the TH400 is same ratios as the 4L80 less the OD. I would do a 4l80 over a 400 just for reason of tunablity shifting it. Plus you get an extra gear in low so you can use the OD in low and gain speed if trail riding alot vs shifting to 4high.

Attachments

• ls3cam.jpg
    ls3cam.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
What was you opinion of the Turbo 400 transmission for that application?

In past lives, I've had great luck with this transmission (significantly less with the Turbo 350). My current plan is to use a Turbo 400 behind an LS-series engine for my off-road only '62 Scout.

Just fishing to see if you had any specific comments, problems, etc?
The th400 was a fantastic transmission. If you really do want a th400 I would look for one out of a motorhome. It has a slightly lower first gear. The th400 is simple and no electronics. However, like BO185 stated it might be better if you got a 4l80. You would then be able to go a little lower in the axle gears and still have highway driveability with the OD.
With that all being said, th400 are cheap and stout and I would do it again if I was going auto.

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
I'm curious as to what exhaust manifolds you choose to use?

When I did my swap, BO185 found these exhaust manifolds for me:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...t-800a-build-thread.119223/page-5#post-889737

They had originally came from an LS-2 powered Cadillac.

I had originally made the assumption that I didn't need to do any firewall manipulation due to the Scout having a wider frame, vs the Scout 2. Maybe not.
For exhaust manifolds I haven't decided yet. With the placement of the engine I had to cut a little just so that I could get to the rear manifold bolt. I do know that the truck manifolds are not going to work at all. I was thinking of getting some shorty headers. The LS2 exhaust manifolds are an option if I could find a set for a decent price. I like that they are a factory option as well. I'm trying not customize too much. I want to use as many factory parts as possible. That way replacement parts are easy to come by.

BO185

Y-Block King
For exhaust manifolds I haven't decided yet. With the placement of the engine I had to cut a little just so that I could get to the rear manifold bolt. I do know that the truck manifolds are not going to work at all. I was thinking of getting some shorty headers. The LS2 exhaust manifolds are an option if I could find a set for a decent price. I like that they are a factory option as well. I'm trying not customize too much. I want to use as many factory parts as possible. That way replacement parts are easy to come by.
I would just get the LS3 manifolds way better than el cheap shorties . Used on Ebay run 100-150 usually but have to watch shipping. Was a set for $189 shipped.

scout2000

The th400 was a fantastic transmission. If you really do want a th400 I would look for one out of a motorhome. It has a slightly lower first gear. The th400 is simple and no electronics. However, like BO185 stated it might be better if you got a 4l80. You would then be able to go a little lower in the axle gears and still have highway driveability with the OD.
With that all being said, th400 are cheap and stout and I would do it again if I was going auto.

If you've seen my Scout 80 (reference signature block), there is no way that vehicle will ever be driven on public roads. And to more strongly emphasis that, I purchased a tow vehicle last summer, after coming to my senses and realizing it wasn't a smart plan for me to attempt to tow my Scout 80 behind my 800 with a tow-bar half way across Texas.

Regarding the Turbo 400, I'm already an 'extremely' sold customer. I lived overseas several life times ago and drove a 1975 Formula Firebird. After shelling out (3) turbo 350's, a friend hooked me up with a Turbo 400 that took extreme abuse from me, and just smartly sluffed off the abuse and move forward.

The worse thing I did to it was driving thru a tunnel under Honolulu International Airport, ~50 MPH, and accidentally having the transmission put into reverse. :(

I drove on that transmission for 3 more years, including shipping the car to California, then driving cross country to Kansas then to the Texas/Mexican border, before I did anything additional to it.

I've never see a transmission that could take as much abuse as a Turbo 400.

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
Just a quick update. The motor mounts are complete and should work just fine. I bought the poly bushings and then fabricated everything else myself. The welds aren't going to win any shows but they are strong and functional.
20181218_184615_001_resized.jpg
20181229_132207a.jpg

Scout21972

Farmall Cub
Had a few minutes over the weekend to fab up my clutch master cylinder mount. It fits right where my clutch rob used to be. I am making a new push rod for the master cylinder but that is no big deal. It was a fun little evening project.
20181229_135819.jpg
20181229_155410.jpg
20181229_155426.jpg

Attachments

• 20181229_135827.jpg
    20181229_135827.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104