BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1968 Scout 4x4 196 Timing Help

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

mervteck

Farmall Cub
Hey guys im a new guy to the IH scene but bought myself a 1968 Scout 800 196 and love it. Paid 800 for it with good tags and all! =D but ive run in to a problem. The timing is way off... I let the wrong idiot try and help and now shes so far off its ridiculous. If someone can help me with answers to the following Ide absolutely love the help. Ill post pics of her semi rusty *** soon!

I need :
Firing order
Cylinder Order from front to back.
What degree i time it to
Also what is the proper source for the vacuum advance?

I know i have to time it of TDC. But the rest ive either mind raped myself in to forgetting or just cant find it, and google for the past 2 day has not helped any. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Also here is a picture of the carb im running as cant seam to identify the carb properly. JUST INCASE!
IMAG0131.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys i realy wanna get her running! its been a week and a half of staring at it trying to get it going.

tnscouter

Farmall Cub
The carb is a Holley 1904. If it has not been rebuilt you are wasting your time trying to get it timed.

scoutboy74

Lives in an IH Dealership
The firing order is 1-3-4-2 and is cast into the intake. Cylinder numbering is 1-4 front to back and is also cast topside.

CharNational

Farmall Cub
how far out of whack is it? Does it still start and run, or not start at all? A good starting point is to hand turn the crank until the timing mark is lined up with the "0" on the scale tab. But be careful when doing this because you can be 180 degrees off. You'll need to remove spark plug of #1 cylinder and as you are hand turning the crank, you'll put your finger close to the hole and when you feel the piston starts to push air out, that's when it will be on compression stroke, when spark plug fires. then eye the balancer and line up the mark with the "0". At this point the piston will be at TDC, then check to see where the rotor is pointing and match it up with the #1 boot on the cap as close as you can. That should get you close enough for it to start so you can set the timing with the light. Factory timing is IIRC 0 degrees, but you can advance it a few degrees and you'll be fine, just don't run cheap fuel. You need to find the vacuum source for dist advance that does not have any vacuum at idle, but increases when throttle is opened. There should be a few ports on teh front of your carb and once you have it running and idling, check each port with your finger. The one that has no vacuum when it's idling is the one, but make sure teh fast idle cam of choke is not engaged, you need it to be at fully warmed up "curb idle".

scoutboy74

Lives in an IH Dealership
...just don't run cheap fuel...

Huh?:cornfused: Shouldn't be much of a problem with today's fuel prices. Ain't no such thang no more.

I think what you meant was low octane. These engines when in proper state of tune will run quite well EVEN with some timing advance and EVEN on alkycrapgas. Boosted octane fuel is a waste of money.

On the 19xx series carbs, the source for vacuum advance is pretty obvious. Not too many other choices.

mervteck

Farmall Cub
Thank you all for your help. CharNational you gave a *****en write up lol. I did just as you said and worked perfect. the only thing I had to do was adjust the fuel air mixture screw to get it just right and adjust the dist a hair to the left. She finally runs beautifully! Saturday its beach day! Ill take some pics soon and show off its minimal surface rust lol.

CharNational

Farmall Cub
Thank you all for your help. CharNational you gave a *****en write up lol. I did just as you said and worked perfect. the only thing I had to do was adjust the fuel air mixture screw to get it just right and adjust the dist a hair to the left. She finally runs beautifully! Saturday its beach day! Ill take some pics soon and show off its minimal surface rust lol.
That's great to hear! Glad you got it running good now. Now don't let anybody who "claims" to be a mechanic touch it anymore, otherwise it's :hammer: time! :D