1966 Scout 800 Restoration

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Matthew G., Nov 2, 2020.

1. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I guess I should have clarified Jerry...I was mainly referring to the engine/trans/transfer case setup..
    Matthew..
    Going LS and modern trans means you'll need ecm and controllers,wiring for everything...so keep that in mind when you chose a trans..like I stated earlier, it will affect everything associated with it...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    scout2000 likes this.
  2. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Heck, it's ok. I figired it'd need stuff like that anyhow. The body is off and being blasted as we speak. I ordered ALL the sheet metal that is possibly offered for the 800 to be replaced. Next is engine, transmission, transfer case mock up so the frame can get done and powder coated. I did see a transmission cross member for the 6L80...etc from Anything Scout that is out of stock...I emailed them to see if they'd make me one asap. @mongocanfly

https://anythingscout.com/products/transmission-cross-member-and-mount

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

the comments made above by Mongo are absolutely correct.

I have that 325 CID engine currently in my 800A, and I do want to share an additional observation. There are earlier comments in this thread regarding gutting the whole drive train, and in my experience, that is absolutely correct also.

I'm running S2 D44 axles front and rear with 3.54 axle ratio, along with 33x10.5 tires and my NV4500 transmission with a pretty steep overdrive. I also have (2) small trailers I frequently pull behind my Scout, these trailers weigh 800 - 1000 lbs, depending how loaded they are.

Technically, the LS series engine are a technical marvel representing 50 years of advances above and beyond the original SBC from 6 bolt mains to coil-on-plug electronics to the fancy EFI. Its a great engine. I have a 1985 vehicle equipped with a 350 CID Tuned Port Injection SBC, and (personally) I've never cared for that engine.

And to get to the meat of this comment, although these two engines are worlds apart tech wise, physically they share common characteristics - specifically, they are high reving engines with limited low end torque. You aren't going to have the low end torque like you will with an IH SV 345. I hate to give up fuel economy, as I travel a lot in my Scout, but my next upgrade is to get gears for my Dana 44 axles, and go from 3.54 to (probably) 3.73's. In overdrive, and pulling my small trailers, my little 325 just doesn't have the guts to maintain speed going up and down hills. Will the 366 CID engine have that problem? Probably not, or at least not to the extent of the 325, but I'd keep axle ratio's in mind as the rest of your drive train is being fork lift upgraded.

oneof3k likes this.
  4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Kinda of a echo to what Jerry said...my C30 has the LQ9 in it...backed by a nv4500..backed by 4.10s..and 31 in tires...I regularly pull a 9000lb loaded trailer with it...and the truck itself weighs 6000lbs...I love this combo...the LSs are better at high revs..and the NV doesnt have the lowest 1st gear...but it has suprised many a folk that cant believe how stout it is...its not a racecar by any means..but from rolling in 3rd gear.. 30-85mph is awsome push you back in the seat acceleration...mine dynoed at 344hp and 399 torque

scout2000 likes this.
  5. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Dang...I keep hearing good things about the NV4500...maybe go that route instead of the 4L or 6L? As long as I don't have to buy 100 adaptors I'll take it!

6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

The nv trans itself has gotten pricey in the last few yrs...especially if you dont have a core...I got my last one from high gear transmission out of memphis... then theres the cost of the advance adapters bellhousing, flywheel,clutch, pressure plate kit....
    But you'll save some money over not having wiring harnesses and electronics to deal with...and you can get them in a 4wd version...
    Give me a choice and I'll always go manual...

7. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

8. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

For me, it was very much a religious decision. My 800A has a lot of "character", and keeping a manual transmission was a big part of that. Probably a smart decision would have been to go with a 4L80 or a 6L80. I don't necessarily regret my decision to go with the NV4500, but it certainly wasn't a cheap route to go by the time I got all the adapters and everything ready. Also, don't forget the transmission fluid, at (if I remember correctly) $70 a quart. Its been a few years on that last one, if someone else knows better, or prices have changed, please correct me.

For anyone looking at the NV4500, I would certainly invite you to drive one first. Its a tough transmission, and I think I would have to throw a lot of "stupid" at it on my part to cause it any harm, but it is very much a notchy truck transmission. If your manual transmission experience is in a smooth shifting mechanism from a Corvette or a GTO, this is very much a different experience.

9. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Matthew...I'm not sure what yr your engine will be ...but this is on the page you listed..
    Note: Kit will not fit 2014 & up Gen V engines (New LT1 V8 & 4.3 V6, 5.3, 6.2)

I used 712500M on mine..I didnt use the center force setup
    And the 712576 bellhousing
    Your best bet would be call AA and talk to a tech

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  10. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

@mongocanfly ...Well....I just rethought everything and dropped $15K on an LS3 with a 4L70E Cruise and Connect, direct from Chevy. Now....to find the correct transfer case. That hurt me...but at least I know it's direct from dealer and not remanufactured. I looked at so, so many sites for transmissions and most reviews scared the heck outta me. Any final suggestions on a transfer case for this setup? Happy Thanksgiving to yall also!

11. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Wow...that is a hit....I dont know alot about all the auto setups...but I think the 4l70 is just a beefed up 4l60..
    Get ahold of advanced adapters...let them guide you to what all you'll need...with a LS3 your gonna want something pretty stout...
    I've gotta LS3/tr6060 sitting in the shop under cover for my other truck build when the IH is done..

12. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

@mongocanfly Can I use new crate Jeep Dana 44s in the front and rear? I know there should be modifications with those...but I want updated axles with my 2.5" lift...which leads to.my next question. Assuming I can use those Jeep Dana 44s, will the IH 2.5" CPT lift work or will I need to use another type of lift? @scout2000

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  13. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    BajaIH likes this.
  14. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

this would be a question to ask the real Scout owners...im not sure what all will work as far as axle donors go for a Scout

15. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

The main problem I see with newer axles.most are set upfor coil springs,scouts are leaf springs.Not that it cant be done,just alot more work.

scout2000 likes this.
  16. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

Yup you will have to cut off all of the coil buckets and link brackets to weld on new spring perches and there won't be a pumpkin side spring perch.

If you're going that route you would be better of 3 linking the front and 4 linking the rear on coils or coil overs.

TMR or Ruffstuff or Barnes, all have 3 and 4 Link DIY kits.

17. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

@winchested What brand, kit and all the needed components would you recommend for my 800? I need to go ahead and get everything as soon as possible for the shop to get the frame done. If I stay with leaf springs, is there an aftermarket axle I can use that is newer that you recommend I can use in front and rear?

18. winchested

You could call any of the companies G2, Currie, prorock etc. See what they could offer you etc.

Odds of them having what you need or want in stock are prob unlikely.

As far as preassembled 4Link kits I think the only company that has anything for scouts is D&C extreme.

19. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

G
    @winchested Got it. I think I'll just get the Scout II Dana 44s for front and rear and the CPT leaf spring lift. Sounds like that would be MUCH less expensive and just as reliable. Are there any modifications required for the Scout II axle swap? I really appreciate your input bro.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  20. winchested

Staying spring under? check out Dan Hayes at binder Boneyard too. He has made up a long travel leaf spring kit that looks awesome.

You will have to cut off the perches and move them.