1966 Scout 800 Restoration

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Matthew G., Nov 2, 2020.

1. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

We'll gentleman, she's off to her restoration and upgrades tomorrow. Someday I'll have her back...now to be patient and shell out $$..lol. I'll post updated pics as it progresses! I sincerely appreciate all of your words of wisdom and insight!!!

2. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Good Morning Everyone!
    Wanted to get some feedback on something I was thinking. Versus dropping 3-4k on rebuilding the 345 and trying to squeeze hp out of it, would it be more beneficial to swap a crate 350 chevy in its place? I'll be running a 2.5 lift and 31-32" tires and I want hp to make that happen plus reliability. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Also read that the 700r4 is a good 4x4 transmission to use...

3. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

If your gonna swap to a Chevy engine, I would go with a LS/4L80..youd need a adapter for transfercase unless you can find a np241 pass side drop transfercase..
    Better mpgs, more power,reliability...are added bonuses
    Just be aware...when you start adding od and big tires,it affects everything in the drivetrain..you may also need a gear swap...its like going down the rabbit hole..
    While the 700r4 is a good trans, it also has to be set up correctly or it will fry..
    The only way I'd go sbc/700 is if I had one sitting in the shop floor and couldnt afford the LS option..
    My 2cents...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    scout2000 likes this.
  4. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

I'm with Mongo/Greg on the swap. I can't tell you how awesome it is to go on a trip and get 20 MPG out of a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.

What is in your Scout now (IH SV 304? or 266? ).

What are your ultimate plans for your Scout? What do you need it to do, once it is done? I'd figure that out, then build towards that goal.

5. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Well gentlemen, I am now having a custom LS motor built and taking @mongocanfly 's advice and going with the 4L80 transmission. More than I wanted to spend, but hey....welcome to Scouting world right?!?!

6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I dont think you'll regret it in the end..heck...its only money right.?...haha
    A bone stock 5.3 LS will have way more power than you'll ever need in a Scout.. I have a stock 6.0 in my C30 that will shock most people with the power it has...in a 6000lb truck..

scout2000 likes this.
  7. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

@mongocanfly @scout2000 I ordered a L96 6.0 crate motor from the dealer ready to go in...now do I necessarily need the 4L80e 4x4 transmission or will a "regular" 4L80e work? I plan on getting it from Monster Transmission btw.

8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Stay away from monster...I used to think they were on top of their game...but no longer....heard way to many bad things about them..
    You may need wheelie bars with that L96....that outta may it go..
    On the 4l80...the adapter sold by advanced adapters is for a 2wd 4L80...you'll need to know the yr of the trans and determine which transfer case your gonna use....
    The other alt is a 4L80 with a np241 pass side drop transfercase...hard to find as they only made them a few yrs...I had one and regret selling it now..
    Where are you located.?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  9. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

I'm in Georgia. 30078. I don't really want to drop the coin on a dealer 4L80 so I am open to suggestions in where to get one...I saw Xtreme Performance transmissions and transfer cases...but I'm not sure about them either. I will go dealership if I absolutely have to @mongocanfly

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  10. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Is this the transfer case you were referring to? https://www.vividracing.com/-p-1524...7AFrRzb7V5Zn2ikxBj51ukCi8j9q3drRoC0M0QAvD_BwE

11. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

Why not go with the 6L80?

I mean if you're going big, go big!

12. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

That's a np241..so yes..it will bolt to a 4wd 4l80...if you can find the adapter..those are hard to come by
    They only came in 89-91 squarebody burbs and blazers...
    If you want to run say a np205, then you'll need to go with a 2wd trans and the adapter from somewhere like advance adapters...
    I thought if you were closer to Texas there is a guy there that would be my goto for a auto trans..
    He doesnt like to mess with freighting though..

13. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

I appreciate it...I literally need someone to tell me what transmission/transfer case combo to get and I'll buy it. I'm green behind the ears on this and want to make sure whatever I get is reliable and wherever I get it is reputable. So, if someone can tell me what combo and where the combo is I can buy I would be much obliged. Lol.

14. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I would go with EP before I would monster...if they have a package deal where you got
    trans/adap/transfercase all as one unit you'll probably be money ahead..

15. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

You might check out anything Scout...they seem to do more Scout /LS builds than anyone

16. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

That's a big 10-4. I'll check out what they can do for me. I'll go either 4L80 or 6L80 with the NP241. Thanks @mongocanfly and @winchested

winchested likes this.
  17. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

I can help you spend your money on an Atlas II transfer case too if you'd like...

18. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

LOL...those things are expensive!

19. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Haha...I think were all good at spending other people's money..!!..

scout2000 likes this.
  20. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Well ....... kinda ...... They do more S2 commercially than anyone.

That said, several pain points, and specifically exhaust is easier on Scouts (vs S2) due to the wider frame, aren't the issue on a Scout like they are on a S2. But for many perspective, a lot of this hasn't changed in decades. Its typically not about swapping in the engine/transmission/transfer case, its about the millions of little detail items that will haunt you the next couple of years.