1966 Scout 800 Restoration

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Matthew G., Nov 2, 2020.

1. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Good Evening Everyone,

I have recently purchased a pretty solid 66 Scout. This has the 266 motor in it and much to my dismay, there are virtually no rebuild kits available for this motor. I have searched everywhere I could possibly find. I am thinking of swapping it for a 345. Since I am new to this, I had questions of whether or not the 345 would fit, whether or not it would marry up to the transmission that is there now, and what other issues (if any) I would possibly run in to when making the swap. It seems a shame to take out the original 266, but it seems I have no choice. I plan on giving it a 1-2" lift also. Any help, suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos of my 66. It goes for its beginning frame-off journey this weekend. Many thanks to all who comment or can lend guidance to me on this!

Respectfully,

Matthew

Attached Files:

2. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Welcome to BinderPlanet and congratulations on your new Scout.

If I were in your shoes and plans to stay with an IH SV engine, the 345 is definitely where I would be planning to go.

3. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Thank you sir! Do you foresee there being a great deal of trouble replacing the 266 with the 345? I guess that I can sell the 266 since they are hard to find?..it's missing the left rocker assembly only. Everything else is there, but I can't rebuild it with new pistons..etc.

4. scout2000

From a very high level - aside from the obvious displacement differences, the 345 and 392 have a higher deck vs the 266 && 304. I wouldn't expect deck height to be an issue in a truck for an engine swap.

I'm far from an IH SV expert, but others here are and will pipe in. But your 266 issue is not an uncommon one. replacement pistons, rings, etc are close to non-existant for the 266, forcing people with dead 266 CID engines to the other displacements, where parts are much more common. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend checking out the forum archives, and looking at/reviewing the web sites of our Light Line dealers.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I think Jerry meant 392 here...
    20201102_194719.jpg

scout2000 likes this.
  6. scout2000

type fixed - thank you Sir !

7. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Jerry, you should see how many times I have to correct misspelled words due to my huge fingers...it takes me longer to fix stuff than it does to write it..haha

scout2000 likes this.
  8. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

LOL...could you point me in the direction of previous archives? Sorry for the ask, but I have no idea what to begin to search for. I really appreciate it guys.

9. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

@scout2000 Would a 345 from a '74 Loadstar be the same 345 as a '66 345?

10. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Yes the basic engine is the same,add ons are different,like oil pan and oilpump.Any IH sv will bolt right up to your tranny and you motor mounts,load star might have different exhaust manifolds.

11. Don B

Don B Binder Driver

If you don't go with a IH engine than you might look at a Ford 300, lots of options and parts are readily available.

12. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Thanks Don. I plan on a 2.5" lift and need to figure out the best route to power those bigger wheels!

13. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

392 in mine, same block as 345. The 392 runs hotter than the 345 and I’ve heard engine is tougher to cool in the small 800 engine bay. I’m hoping electric fans, bigger radiator and aluminum intake do the trick in mine. I am still a long way from being done so I can’t comment on everything you may encounter. Other things to consider is a stringer drivetrain. Most upgrade to scout II axles and maybe a t19/18 or 727 tranny

Only fitment issues I can think of are exhaust manifolds. Go with center dump 3 bolt for better breathing. With that said I probably need to lift the motor a bit as it looks like the exhaust flange are going to hit the frame. Maybe add blocks under the motor mount or just grind the flange.

Attached Files:

14. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Hey Guys, looks like I have a 266 engine for sale! Any help in selling it would be appreciated. No idea what it's worth. It's missing a left rocker assembly.

15. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Would you guys recommend a 700R4 4x4 with the 345? If so, what other adaptors/modifications will be necessary? I'm looking for the best 4x4 automatic transmission I can find.

16. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

a 700r4 has to be set up perfectly or youll fry it...the tv cable is the big thing and getting the case pressure's set correctly..
    is there a adapter to do this?
    the other thing to consider is if you add a od trans is tire size, axle ratios, and cruise rpm..it all has to work together...so if you add a od you may have to be willing to change a bunch more stuff as well

scout2000 likes this.
  17. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

Thanks!.. I'd like a transmission that is an automatic 4x4..wife will be driving it as well...lol...So I'm looking for something that we can cruise in that will allow for a allowable highway speed with >30" tires. I know there are a ton of options, so I'm looking for guidance as to an acceptable combination.

18. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Farmall Cub

19. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Advanced adapters makes some really nice products..and I've used several...but the adapter you show is only for trans to transfer case..I was referring to trans to engine...if you have to use adapters on both ends of the trans, that's gonna get expensive quick..its be cheaper to find a 700r4 4wd trans with a np transfer case already on it..
    I'm not really into automatics so I was mainly wondering if there was a IH to 700r4 adapter..

If you start letting the wife drive it you better get ready to build 2 Scouts...haha

20. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler