BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1964 C1100 Travelall

Binder TV

bdgn01

Farmall Cub
Over the course of 25 years of Scout ownership, I have a hard and fast rule: I'm not taking my truck off the road for any long term projects because I know with my schedule I'd never get it back on the road. Everything I tackle has to be functional or required because I don't want an immobile garage queen taking up space I don't have. Thus, my Scout is still four colors, but has been running like a top.

I've wanted a new project for a while though, and my tastes have been moving away from Scout II's. I've spent the last six months looking at ragged-out Scout 800's and C-series trucks in the Mid-Atlantic region, trying to find the right balance of value for money, and haven't come across the right truck until last weekend.

IMG_5269.jpeg

Sunday on Marketplace I was the first person to reply to an ad for a forlorn-looking red Travelall sitting in a yard on the other side of Baltimore. I set up a time to meet him and got my usual kit together: a magnet, a flashlight, a strong screwdriver, a 15/16″ socket on a long bar for the crank bolt, a cheap Amazon borescope, and some gloves. At 8:45 I was sitting outside his house with a cup of coffee, and he waved me into the yard to look it over.

IMG_5307.jpeg

What I found was, as always, worse than the pictures showed, but strangely better than all the other rigs I’ve seen around here. It was a mid-60’s C1100 with Custom badges on the doors. The seller told me his brother had bought it years ago and had it towed from Virginia to his house, where it sat outside for years before it was moved last week and put up for sale. The paint was rough all over the outside; there were blooms of rust on the doors and fenders. The driver’s rear quarter was crispy around the wheel arch. There was obvious bondo in several spots. The passenger’s rear corner was tapped at some point. And the grille was completely missing. One thing that didn’t show in the photos online was that the passenger’s rear glass was cracked in several places but not missing. The windshield also was cracked in several spots. There were no brakes, but the transmission and clutch weren’t frozen.

IMG_5261.jpeg

It had a V8 of some kind (I haven't had time to search for the stamping boss yet) with manual steering and brakes. The PO put some kind of aftermarket A/C on it, and everything in the engine bay was still present, but the unit under the dash was long gone. It had a distributor of some kind I'd never seen before. The engine did crank—he'd put a battery on it and turned it over—but it didn't catch.

IMG_5287.jpeg

Inside, someone had pulled all the seats out and replaced the rear bed with a custom carpeted platform, then bolted two seats of indeterminate origin in the cabin. There was custom upholstery bolted to every surface—walls, ceiling, over the rear doors, and over the windshield. But the dash was clean, the dashpad was in one solid piece (also a shock) and the switchgear all looked to be in decent shape. Under the floormats, the front floors were intact but very damp. None of the lights are working, or the wipers, and there was a mess of aftermarket lights and other junk wired up that all needed to be torn out.

IMG_5280.jpeg

We talked for a couple of hours about cars and life in general, and I asked him how flexible he was on the price. He gave me a number I liked, and we shook hands on the deal. I called a towing service and within about an hour the guy was dropping it off in my driveway.

IMG_5286.jpeg

For an East Coast rig, it's in better shape than it deserves to be. I busted out the pressure washer to blast off several years of grime, moss, and flaking paint, and to see what shape the paint really is in. As I cleaned black gunk off the roof, I found a 1″ diameter hole in the center from some kind of radio aerial. I sanded the edges down with a wire wheel and used some basic painter’s caulk to seal it with a temporary plastic lid.

Because one of the barn doors wasn’t closing all the way, I got a screwgun out and popped the screwcaps off the upholstered panels and removed them. I was shocked to find both doors in almost perfect condition; the metal looks as good as new, even underneath. They don’t close perfectly, but they’re not held shut with a ziptie anymore either. Intrigued, I took off the rear driver’s door panel to find that door in similar shape. The passenger’s rear panel was hiding some serious dirt and debris, and was wet to the touch—so I was glad to have that one off and not collecting more moisture. Then I got caught up in pulling a bunch of the upholstery off the walls and made a pile of smelly dusty crap in the center of the truck. The spare wheel well is almost completely intact—it'll need some cleaning, encapsulating, and undercoating—but it still exists as a structure.

So the first order of business is to get the title sorted out; I've got an inquiry in with the Wisconsin Historical Society for the lineset ticket to decode the serial number. Then I've got my local IH friends itching to come over and help me try to get it started. When I've got the title sorted out, I'll look at the brake situation and start refurbishing the running gear to get it mobile.

Attachments

• IMG_5272.jpeg
    IMG_5272.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

bdgn01

Farmall Cub
I had some time this Friday after work and was able to finish gutting the interior. The good news is that all of the original metal is in great shape except for the passenger's floor, which was damp under a rubber mat for years. It's the only place I've found so far that has rusted all the way through. The spare tire well is is pretty good shape considering where this came from. I also put two new tires on the front, so it's sitting level in the driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_5339.jpeg
    IMG_5339.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5343.jpeg
    IMG_5343.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5345.jpeg
    IMG_5345.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 109

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
It is in decent shape for the east. A lot of potential sitting there.
What do you think of those access covers on the barn doors? ..LOL...came across a set while cleaning out crap , pretty thick steel for the purpose they serve.

If you're ever looking for front door inserts that don't have holes for speakers in them, I have some. Not perfect but nothing a good painting wouldn't fix.
Also have a rear seat ( seat NG ) but the frame is good if you ever plan on putting the original back in.
That thing is heavy and bulky as hell though. It was supposed to go with a scrap run late last summer but there wasn't enough room for it. It will be going in the next month or so to give us back some space to work in.
IF you might be interested in it, let me know. In Mass, so it's not right next door but thought I'd throw it out there anyway

Attachments

• DSCN1775.JPG
    DSCN1775.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

bdgn01

Farmall Cub
It is in decent shape for the east. A lot of potential sitting there.
What do you think of those access covers on the barn doors? ..LOL...came across a set while cleaning out crap , pretty thick steel for the purpose they serve.

If you're ever looking for front door inserts that don't have holes for speakers in them, I have some. Not perfect but nothing a good painting wouldn't fix.
Also have a rear seat ( seat NG ) but the frame is good if you ever plan on putting the original back in.
That thing is heavy and bulky as hell though. It was supposed to go with a scrap run late last summer but there wasn't enough room for it. It will be going in the next month or so to give us back some space to work in.
IF you might be interested in it, let me know. In Mass, so it's not right next door but thought I'd throw it out there anyway
Stroker,
I'm DEFINITELY interested. I'd love to get this thing as close to stock as possible, which is going to mean scouring the countryside for C-series bench seats. An original rear seat would be fantastic. Where in Mass are you and what are you asking? (I was born in Springfield, BTW).

stroker3

Stroker,
I'm DEFINITELY interested. I'd love to get this thing as close to stock as possible, which is going to mean scouring the countryside for C-series bench seats. An original rear seat would be fantastic. Where in Mass are you and what are you asking? (I was born in Springfield, BTW).
We're up in the northeast corner just south of the NH border.
Whatever works for you works for me as far as price goes. Would like to see it used so I can't be insulted....LOL. Really hate to scrap it but that's where we're at.
It's not something that can be shipped very easily. I think cost would be way up there.
I'm in RI a lot, Conn sometimes. If you still know anybody up in the area we could get it that far for you if you want it..
Send a PM with your email and I can send more pics. Like I said, the seat is shot and it needs work but it functions/folds as it should. Pretty sure I still have the original hinge pins for it.

bdgn01

Farmall Cub
We had pleasant weather on Sunday here in the Mid-Atlantic, so I spent a bunch of time on Sunday taking stock of the truck.

I'm at the "there are more questions than answers" stage, but eager to get things moving. We've got a workday planned with a couple of local IH friends next weekend, and I'm hoping we can get her started.

Duknut

Binder Driver
That wooden platform looks well built . Your‘s made me think of another that’s for sale on Facebook in Campbell,Ca.
Looks complete with all the seats and glass .
Would be a heck of a road trip … :punk:
650D4881-70B3-4421-9F9C-79D6843831FE.png 7421C6CA-D66D-41EE-81F8-D83AF0BDF375.png 1DCA2D1C-3C8A-4F64-BC1A-166F481061BD.png

bdgn01

Farmall Cub
That wooden platform looks well built . Your‘s made me think of another that’s for sale on Facebook in Campbell,Ca.
Looks complete with all the seats and glass .
Would be a heck of a road trip … :punk:
View attachment 233406 View attachment 233407 View attachment 233408
Ha ha, that would be a great road trip. I found a picture of another red Travelall that I'm using as my end goal: same color, red wheels with the Moon-style IH hubcaps (3 came with this truck) and Western-style mirrors.

Attachments

• travelall goal.png
    travelall goal.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 77

Wayne Hess

Binder Driver
Ha ha, that would be a great road trip. I found a picture of another red Travelall that I'm using as my end goal: same color, red wheels with the Moon-style IH hubcaps (3 came with this truck) and Western-style mirrors.
wow, you have a winner. Great looking truck and it looks like it has some good bones that you can build on. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the progress you make.

nksabaker

Farmall Cub
That's a very cool find! She's got a lot less rust than mine. I also am jealous! Especially with the barn doors, mine has the tailgate. Good luck and enjoy!

bdgn01

Farmall Cub
That's a very cool find! She's got a lot less rust than mine. I also am jealous! Especially with the barn doors, mine has the tailgate. Good luck and enjoy!
Let's see some pictures! the thumbnail looks good... Have you set up a build thread yet?

stroker3

I'm at the "there are more questions than answers" stage,
Not bad at all. Wondering if that may have been a town vehicle/fire/ ambulance.
There was 62 in this area that was very much like yours. More or less a minimal use one without the high roof etc. It was mint then the guy who bought it beat the living crap out of it and destroyed it. We ended up with it and saved a few parts but it was depressing how one clown destroyed a well kept vehicle. I'm thinking this due to what looks like a siren mount on the left fender and it may not have had a rear seat. There's no catch's on the inner wheel well, or holes for any, that I noticed either. With those the rear seat and the base are omitted or removed and a filler is put in. Some had padding above the rear doors , that may, may not explain the holes there. The floor filler you have looks PO so all of it is only a guess.

The stock cargo floor is marine plywood I believe. The stuff usually lasts longer than the truck . Unsure how yours is if the rubber is coming up but it's probably still fine.

The doors lock. You're inside handles will lock all doors by moving then in the opposite direction of opening. Your handles are still on correctly so push down when the doors are shut. That will lock each door. The back door needs a key. We never had one for the barn door t'all we had but we'd pull the hinges inward ( whenever we could still access the rear doors inside) . That would make opening the doors beyond an inch or so almost impossible.

You're rear door latch is spun upwards . Unfortunate those might do that from time to time . Have you tried spinning it back down? IIFC hold the button in as you try, see if it catch's facing down ( closed position) when the button is released. If so hold it again , push the bottom,and move the latch back into the correct position (open) to line up with the catch. Keep your hand on it the entire time whenever the button is pushed , they can spin up like that playing with the button when the door is open.

The rear axle should be a D44 and it looks like it should have the Power Loc if it's still factory.
Those rear drums usually need to be pulled with the hub. Unsure what happened there.
Looks like it had helper springs at one time. Another hint it may have been a fire unit. The 62 we had had heavy duty rear springs/w power loc.

Hitch looks like a D series hitch that was butchered a bit.
Ac looks like a later version as well. Oil fill is in a strange spot. Those are usually straight up. Imagine it has something to do with the AC???

Last edited:

mongocanfly

Ray, you beat my answer by a wisker..!!!!

You also mentioned wondering how to remove the door and window handles..
I could explain it , but Dan has a video that shows it

jeff campbell

Staff member
We had pleasant weather on Sunday here in the Mid-Atlantic, so I spent a bunch of time on Sunday taking stock of the truck.

I'm at the "there are more questions than answers" stage, but eager to get things moving. We've got a workday planned with a couple of local IH friends next weekend, and I'm hoping we can get her started.
I hope you pre oil engine if it's sat longer than a year or so.

bdgn01

Farmall Cub
Ray, you're blowing my mind here.
Not bad at all. Wondering if that may have been a town vehicle/fire/ ambulance.
My thought too; there are two holes in the roof which I would assume were for radio aerials and/or a gumball of some kind. The holes on the fender could have been auxilliary lights—but since this was set up for towing I'd originally assumed they were from some aftermarket trailer mirrors.
There was 62 in this area that was very much like yours. More or less a minimal use one without the high roof etc. It was mint then the guy who bought it beat the living crap out of it and destroyed it. We ended up with it and saved a few parts but it was depressing how one clown destroyed a well kept vehicle. I'm thinking this due to what looks like a siren mount on the left fender and it may not have had a rear seat. There's no catch's on the inner wheel well, or holes for any, that I noticed either. With those the rear seat and the base are omitted or removed and a filler is put in. Some had padding above the rear doors , that may, may not explain the holes there. The floor filler you have looks PO so all of it is only a guess.
Yeah, all of the wooden platform stuff was definitely set up by a private citizen for towing a camper and maybe sleeping in. Once I tear out the platform I'll have more info on the situation back there. I noticed there were no catches either, and the paint back there is definitely original.
The stock cargo floor is marine plywood I believe. The stuff usually lasts longer than the truck . Unsure how yours is if the rubber is coming up but it's probably still fine.
This wood looks really good both underside and on top, other than the rubberized cover disintegrating. My guess is that whatever treatment they used for marine plywood back in the day was serious stuff. I wonder how toxic sanding it will be.
The doors lock. You're inside handles will lock all doors by moving then in the opposite direction of opening. Your handles are still on correctly so push down when the doors are shut. That will lock each door. The back door needs a key. We never had one for the barn door t'all we had but we'd pull the hinges inward ( whenever we could still access the rear doors inside) . That would make opening the doors beyond an inch or so almost impossible.
I will go out and test this at lunchtime. Amazing!
You're rear door latch is spun upwards . Unfortunate those might do that from time to time . Have you tried spinning it back down? IIFC hold the button in as you try, see if it catch's facing down ( closed position) when the button is released. If so hold it again , push the bottom,and move the latch back into the correct position (open) to line up with the catch. Keep your hand on it the entire time whenever the button is pushed , they can spin up like that playing with the button when the door is open.
OK, much like a Scout door latch. I'll take a look at that this weekend—if the mechanism uses a similar principle, it should be easy to fix. (I've fixed my tailgate latch and several door latches countless times over the years...)
The rear axle should be a D44 and it looks like it should have the Power Loc if it's still factory.
Those rear drums usually need to be pulled with the hub. Unsure what happened there.
Looks like it had helper springs at one time. Another hint it may have been a fire unit. The 62 we had had heavy duty rear springs/w power loc.
I figured it looked pretty similar. it follows they'd use a 44 for a 2WD truck, no need for anything beefier.
Hitch looks like a D series hitch that was butchered a bit.
Ac looks like a later version as well. Oil fill is in a strange spot. Those are usually straight up. Imagine it has something to do with the AC???
The AC is a mess. One of my goals this weekend is to remove all the hardware from the engine bay to free up space, and then I'll have more answers.

Thanks for the great info!

Binder TV
2024 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous