BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1962 Four Wheeler magazine Scout article

2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Dana Strong

Lives in an IH Dealership
On page 10 there's a passage I don't understand: "...those four wheelers accustomed to a synchromesh second gear might find second a little hard getting used to..."
My old '61 had the same (could I be wrong? :no:) three-speed, and only first (and reverse) wasn't synchronized.

Kurt_M

Farmall Cub
Yes, that passage puzzled me as well, I can only think he meant 1st, but most 3 speeds of that time were non syncro 1st, so that doesn't really make sense either??

Greg R

Interesting that there's no tank selector yet. 60 with 4.27 gears?, that baby must have scream'in. Approach and departure angles aren't mentioned. Those concerns must have come later.

Dana Strong

What does he mean by "bobtailing"?
In the trucking industry, it means driving the tractor of a tractor-trailer unit (Big-Rig) without a trailer attached. I assume the term meant the same sixty years ago, but I wasn't aware of it then, so can't say for sure. I don't see how that would apply to a Scout, unless he meant having the windshield down, the top off, and cruising trails for fun rather than using it to haul goods, tools or people to some specific destination (I.E. doing "work").
When in the back country, we sometimes had the windshield down so we could more easily shoot ground squirrels in the fields ahead of us while driving slowly. I don't see how the term would fit that, and doubt the author ever even thought of such practices.

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group
Binder TV