BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1950 Truck ignition switch alternates / alternatives

Binder TV

pippin

Farmall Cub
Hi guys, I have a 1950 L-122. The previous owner told me that the ignition key switch was bad, and they attempted to hot wire it at one point a couple of decades ago. In addition, he no longer has the keys to it.

I either need to get the original switch repaired & re-keyed, or just replace it.

Can someone give me the details on the specifics of the switch, like how many positions, etc.? Cole Hersee makes similar looking key switches.

Also, once I get the switch fixed or replaced, I will need some help sorting out the wires going to it.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

pippin

Farmall Cub
Here's a pic. The CH-M550 looks similar

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_131850.jpg
    IMG_20211021_131850.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Greg R

Lives in an IH Dealership
Here's a wiring diagram. I would throw in a heavy duty toggle for now. The one hot is "B" from the battery "I" goes ignition and "A" goes to the starter push button and wiper switch. A lock shop might come up with a key or a modern switch just won't have all the terminals used such as start position unless you rewired to use the start position.

Attachments

• L122.jpg
    L122.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

PHuscher

Farmall Cub
The switch you show, CH-M550 isn't the one you want, assuming you're using the push button on the left side of the dash. The CH-M550 is spring loaded for a "start" position, then releasing to "run", and has no accessory position. I think something along the lines of a Pollak 31-122P or Standard US 11 is what you need. But I could be wrong.

Dana Strong

Lives in an IH Dealership
I think something along the lines of a Pollak 31-122P
It's neat that some people here know these details. I didn't.
Here's a link to a distributor's site giving a side view of the Pollak:

and another one going to the Pollak site showing the back, w/ terminal positions:

pippin

Farmall Cub
Got the new switch. Even the original round nut threads on. It has a nice "action" to it as well. It's not an exact match as the body is fatter. I would consider it an upgrade over the factory switch. Made in the USA too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20211031_175341.jpg
    IMG_20211031_175341.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211031_175323.jpg
    IMG_20211031_175323.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

rwk

Farmall Cub
One thing I do with some of my old cars is the starter button, my original ignition switch was not working in the start position, so I removed the wires and wired to a start button mounted under dash, when car has sat for some time I will crank the engine for a few seconds at a time to build oil pressure before switching ignition on and starting, also is a theft deterrent, button is somewhat hidden.

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group
Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group