BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘72 1310 +’85 Alaskan

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
f264d1c06b50055615eb68a7d8dd8580.jpg

Annnd the front axle is already leaking...

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Anyone got any best practices for mounting the doorway floor trim plate over the weatherstripping? It’s kicking our rumps trying to get those screws to line up with the holes in the floor & get the lip of the trim over the weatherstripping at the same time.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
was that headache or heartache. bummer dude.

I always use a couple of my picks to line the holes back up. Leave them in place until you get your other screws in place, remove, replace with screws, then tighten.

JJ in TN

We gave up on trying to locate that sill trim plate so it would hold down the weatherstripping and just screwed it down next to it. There was no way the holes located as they were would allow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
I found the sill plate doesn't really hold down the weather stripping like you think it would. Kinda a half way job with the stock position.

A 9/16" bolt??!?! Ugh. That's a cruel joke. I can just picture the engineers sitting around the table......"1/2 inch won't give us the strength we need! 5/8 inch will be too much! How about 9/16 inch??!?!?" Congratulations and backslapping ensued.

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
I found the sill plate doesn't really hold down the weather stripping like you think it would. Kinda a half way job with the stock position.

A 9/16" bolt??!?! Ugh. That's a cruel joke. I can just picture the engineers sitting around the table......"1/2 inch won't give us the strength we need! 5/8 inch will be too much! How about 9/16 inch??!?!?" Congratulations and backslapping ensued.

or more likely, there was a large stack of them next to the rolls of green wire that IH bought on clearance somewhere and it was a Two for One kinda deal HAHAHA

JJ in TN

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler

That's where we left it, after an extemporaneous meeting of the So-Be-It Union.

Governor William J. Lepetomane comes to mind: "Gentlemen, gentlemen, we have to protect our phony-boloney jobs!"

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
Annnd the front axle is already leaking...
Man Chris, you are really milking this IH (intermittent headache) thing.... :tt2:

I completely feel your pain or frustration or both. I spent many hours cleaning and then pressure testing my heater core. After installing it and then filling up the cooling system, a day later I have antifreeze/water dripping onto the garage floor from said core. I wish I could say that our trucks are very distantly related, but the truth is that all IH trucks are inbred relatives that all seem to have the same genetic propensity to leak and piss all over the place.

Great progress.... getting closer to that first camping trip.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
One of today’s projects was capping the open ends on the camper frame:

a68015c2b595c769d9c9874f3c8e3efb.jpg

I had some metal cut at a welding shop in Longmont to save some time ($40 well spent), bought some magnets, and made a jig to set the depth of the plugs so I could tack them:

a7ba4767a59f0969715448170250d730.jpg

It worked really well, better than I did:

dd83cb06f690f49769d26126579408ba.jpg

I also came up with something to protect a future light bar, and break up up the mass of that huge bumper:

bb2c2d1b264907869669f62608579bf6.jpg

70643017a07466922962d974868f9b42.jpg

Gotta let its new paint cure some, then I’ll weld it on.

Also tested out the freshly-charged A/C. It’s gonna be really cold in there...

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Almost forgot another mod we did today:

c63eacdf898bbe41689fec5755c86a90.jpg

Background: this camper, with its two-piece construction, has exhibited a tendency for the upper section to raise a bit on speed bumps and railroad crossings, and then slam down surprisingly hard when riding on a stiffly-sprung truck. This one, with all its leaf springs probably qualifies as “stiffly sprung”, so we fabbed up these hold-downs.

ruderunner

High Wheeler
Depends on the rust. Frankly with the poor quality of new bolts, i actually save as many oem bolts as possible.

Even to the point of dismantling a car before scrapping it. And especially on vehicles where the hardware was made in the USA, including the ore.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Depends on the rust. Frankly with the poor quality of new bolts, i actually save as many oem bolts as possible.

Even to the point of dismantling a car before scrapping it. And especially on vehicles where the hardware was made in the USA, including the ore.
McMaster seems like a good workaround to any OTC quality issues; it seems like you can get fasteners in most any spec and grade there.