BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘72 1310 +’85 Alaskan

Binder TV

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
That sucks but rather minor in the big scheme of things. Does the "etc." part of the equation mean it's time to :beer: ?

I know it’s minor, but with a Memorial Day deadline looming, 2 1/2 years of driving back & forth to Wheatland, and the reduction of peace-of-mind this brings (when will another hose let go?), my equanimity is less than it could be.

“Etc.” means something like “on and on...” or “yada, yada, yada...”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
on and on and on. It wouldn't be fun if it didn't continue??!! HAHA

Ill keep a watch out, Dew keeps telling me the checks in the mail as his PR man. Hmmmm.

What I meant to say was, Ill keep my eyes open for a HUB!

JJ in TN

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
It’s springtime in the Rockies!

1e15a324e682b3e2bf91348d55e7dafc.jpg

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
on and on and on. It wouldn't be fun if it didn't continue??!! HAHA

Ill keep a watch out, Dew keeps telling me the checks in the mail as his PR man. Hmmmm.

What I meant to say was, Ill keep my eyes open for a HUB!

JJ in TN

Thanks you two!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Springs installed:

d9b52fb94bd2d0c7efd9f7e98bfff190.jpg

The only fly in the ointment was this choice touch IH included:

fe07a125805db37f3aba56eba7e5b32a.jpg

A combination-threaded stud. Why even bother with fine threading on the spring end? Good grief.

Needless to say, we did not reuse that stud, and we couldn’t use the two Alcan provided, so an expedient was found and will be employed until a suitable replacement stud can be sourced.

I’m not overjoyed with how it turned out, all things (passenger-side) considered.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
No, Matthew; my truck has its front differential offset so far to the passenger side that it uses a combination of a u bolt & two studs to secure the spring to the axle:

7993a6432338fb9c8bbf919c86dcf0cf.jpg

e270834e29480becc003a0259efbc507.jpg

That stud is the rear one in the above pic. I should have been clearer explaining that.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Oh I see. What a pain.

Yeah— Alcan doesn’t stock anything with a coarse thread, and I haven’t found anything online but allthread (which I’m not comfortable with using in that application) so it has the remaining stud and a grade-8 bolt holding it together for now.

Times like these I can’t help believing IH means “intermittent headache“.

Meanwhile, I like the reduced stinkbug look the new springs have brought, and the progress with the doors, mirrors, and weatherstripping:

d733588c374fe3dfdd833aac4aee16fd.jpg

And I got a little trim work done on the back:

1e1d0e861ce2a7fc343d6bc6b99cd441.jpg

Jeff Jamison

All of mine had bolts instead of studs,but studs make more sense.Find a spring shop,they make U-bolts so they should be able to make you new studs.

mongocanfly

Y-Block King
I'm pretty sure mine had bolts as well....I dont think it had ever been messed with..but you never know
the stud may be a big truck thing...but they also make grade 7 and 8 allthread... we use it at work all the time to make the long studs we need on our piping...based on pipe specs

J.J.

Hauling springs in the car looks like something that I would do HAHA. Love ALCAN, he was just getting started there in my hometown growing up, still have the springs under my '47 flat fender that he did in 1985.

IH = Internittant Headache , thats a keeper !!

Have you looked at Stengle Bros? They have all kinds of fasteners. I don't have a link but you should be able to source it. Another thought is what was suggested, and old time spring shop. I had custom uBolts made up at Nashville Spring a few years ago, he's a bit cranky but knows his stuff. If you have the specs ask him to make them and Ill pick them up for you.

JJ in TN

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
The new arrangement, after attempting to re-torque the remaining stud (the nut had bound up beyond 90 ft/lbs, so I backed the nut out & the stud followed):

a9219cbb12608c87e19312f2f07ab5ed.jpg

The reason the nut bound up became clear after the stud came out:

bad1486a93cb5684869c4f9cfae9dcec.jpg

How do you bend them like that?

Maybe it’s like what inside a hot dog— don’t really want to know.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
I'm pretty sure mine had bolts as well....I dont think it had ever been messed with..but you never know
the stud may be a big truck thing...but they also make grade 7 and 8 allthread... we use it at work all the time to make the long studs we need on our piping...based on pipe specs

I checked McMaster & a couple other online sources, and 9/16 Gr 8 allthread isn’t available.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Hauling springs in the car looks like something that I would do HAHA. Love ALCAN, he was just getting started there in my hometown growing up, still have the springs under my '47 flat fender that he did in 1985.

IH = Internittant Headache , thats a keeper !!

Have you looked at Stengle Bros? They have all kinds of fasteners. I don't have a link but you should be able to source it. Another thought is what was suggested, and old time spring shop. I had custom uBolts made up at Nashville Spring a few years ago, he's a bit cranky but knows his stuff. If you have the specs ask him to make them and Ill pick them up for you.

JJ in TN

Thanks buddy! I’m going to see if these bolts want to back out, if so, I’ll get back with you on a couple of studs.