BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘72 1310 +’85 Alaskan

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Then we moved on to knuckle reassembly after correcting the bolt fix someone in the past had used after apparently stripping the bolt holes in the passenger-side knuckle:

82de81e02583b64cb9ee4615158f4c1b.jpg

(John Deere Knuckle Sauce shown not included with truck)

Seriously, you can see the 9/16 holes we tapped after I did the obligatory Tour of Wheatland looking for the correct 33/64 drill bit. I never found one (unsurprisingly), so we made do. It turns out (unsurprisingly) it wasn’t necessary.

I was dreading setting the preload on the new bearings, but it turned out to be pretty simple with the pack of new shims I got from Torque King: 1. Install upper king pin, shim pack, and then the bronze bushing on the pin. 2. Set knuckle on housing, bushing in race. 3. Tilt knuckle outward, insert bearing. 4. Install lower king pin with shim pack and nuts, torque top and bottom nuts, measure starting torque on knuckle.

After a subtracting a shim from the bottom king pin on each side, we ended up at about 30 ft lb each (the manual called for 20-40 ft lb). This really feels like a tight bearing to me, but that’s what was specified.

As a break from power train, we pressure tested the gas plumbing and found no leaks.

That’s pretty much where we left it. It really doesn’t sound like a whole lot now that I think about it.

No wonder this has taken more than 2 1/2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
The ones GCR installed are all the same, angled (I guess) for access with a push-pull air chuck for either side of the wheel.

I really need to remember to buy one of those.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Another greatest hits lyrics to go along with "running when parked", "it's only surface rust", and a few others!

Ed, those type of “famous-last-words” statements (“check’s in the mail”, “it isn’t loaded”, etc) seem to be used as a rationalization for one’s (in)actions; “work in progress” is simply acceptance of reality on my part that preferences change, technology evolves, and flawed ideas will (hopefully) be corrected. An ongoing build process, basically, which I look forward to. Gotta have something fun to busy the hands.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Finally, enough snow has been moved or melted in Wheatland to head north to work on the truck.

Loaded up & trucking:

456a636ece604694f4b23f763aabe7ea.jpg

Sometimes, you gotta sing for your supper, though, so day one is dedicated to restoring heat to the shop:

a45b1872e362b11f34f72f5dbf29013d.jpg

We unloaded the wheels first so I could retrieve the pieces of snow rail stored under the toolbox, I lost control of one wheel, and this was the result:

930be80e61bfe7f7bad4b15f32da6e21.jpg

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. Oh well— I have nine more...

After a few hours (and a flurry or two), we got both sides done:

3a886afbcba59f4ff54a5cb8a6731d6c.jpg

I didn’t really feel like working on the truck at this point, so we drank beer.

It really amazes me the power of sliding snow: it crushed these double-wall vent stacks like they were run over with a pickup:

394240f484e232e49f8995f55663dcf8.jpg

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Today was Slimy Day, starting with knuckle seals, and marinating the felts in gear oil:

111901ffd61764521fe3e51fff5ab170.jpg

Then I covered the knuckles with grease:

797eaf6d0732fa615e39689cb3b2b197.jpg

Installed the seal, the felt, and the retainers:

0a4f8b23d7846af4013d618d6fd2ab67.jpg

Then a tube & 1/2 of grease per side:

8bb02711d9f6a06d72e1c1de5dfd35f1.jpg

A battery-powered grease gun really makes filling the knuckles with grease quick.

SlimeFest continued with topping off the rear axle, changing the T-case oil and installing an extension on the drain so the skid plate wouldn’t distribute gear oil all over the floor, and filling the front axle. I started to change the transmission oil, and realized I already had when I saw the color of the oil. I have no recollection of that, but it must have been when the shifter was out & filling the transmission was easy.

A good day, all tallied.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Got the front brakes back together today, as well as the lockout hubs:

c513c0253dcd37f49c44ecc7fb002f85.jpg

We found the threading inside one to be pretty abused (the finger slots had been well worked with pliers), so Harry restored the threads with a small file. It’s working just fine, but I’m on the lookout for another hub as a backup. I talked to Dew’s PR man, but he didn’t have one.

When I installed the hubs, I upgraded the installation with studs after finding every bolt on both hubs loose when I removed them:

386910f5fed632466cd9309b5ef980a4.jpg

Hubs the way they were meant to be.

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
I talked to Dew’s PR man, but he didn’t have one.
Was that before or after he had to inflate his raft to stay above water in TN?

Here's a question, probably dumb one at that. Many years ago, I kept snapping several of the bolts (not studs like you have) off my Scout's locking hubs. I finally replaced them with grade 8 bolts and they have held since. What might cause that?

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Was that before or after he had to inflate his raft to stay above water in TN?

Here's a question, probably dumb one at that. Many years ago, I kept snapping several of the bolts (not studs like you have) off my Scout's locking hubs. I finally replaced them with grade 8 bolts and they have held since. What might cause that?

Inferior grade of bolt or heavy right foot come to mind.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
Harry called yesterday after he and a friend attempted to charge the A/C: they got to within a few PSI of full, and one of the crimps on the hose from the dryer to the compressor let go.

Etc.