BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resource icon

KB Article Steering wheel rebuild

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group
Making slow progress on the Scout 80 but figured I would share my attempts at reworking two badly worn steering wheels. Hopefully the information here is helpful. First here are the two before starting :


ry%3D400


ry%3D400



The gold wheel had fewer cracks, but had the missing material around the center horn. I researched several products and had done a steering wheel for my boss several years ago with a kit. The epoxy that came with it had the same feel and smell as JB Weld KwiK. This is what I chose - you may disagree, but the process should be the same.

Next was to remove any loose plastic and rust from the crack areas. I used a cut off hacksaw blade, sandpaper, and a Dremel to do this. Once prepared I was ready to begin mixing small batches and working the material into the cracks. For the gold wheel I wrapped the inside of the horn area with tape, drilled a few holes and inserted steel pins into the area that was missing and slowly began filling the area.


ry%3D400


ry%3D400



Once the weld begins setting up you can rough it in with a file, my choice is a half-round. Once the wheel was roughed I added more JB Weld into the low areas and filed then sanded. The sanding process was quite dirty. I sanded to 320 then began to fill with black primer. The next photos show the before primer state.


ry%3D400



ry%3D400



I picked up single stage paint and shot the wheel black.


ry%3D400




Also in this process I rebuilt the horn retention rings for both of these wheels. Here is a shot of the horn button pieces:

ry%3D400



I found a sheet of urethane in the shop and decided to machine new rubber locking pieces for the retention ring. One set was completely shot, the other required replacement of only one. I made multiple sets if anyone is interested.

The original rubber is mounted with a single grommet, this needed to be drilled to allow for the new pieces. The best mounting sequence I could configure was to use pop-rivets in the existing outside holes.

ry%3D400



ry%3D400



Rivets were loosely inserted then I allowed the gun to pull the ball about halfway down the shaft. I was afraid it may pull out if I didn't stop and manually remove the pin.


ry%3D400




ry%3D400
Author
Bill USN-1
Views
125
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Latest reviews

Great info!
Top