Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 07-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Farmall Cub

Default Glass fuel filter: good or bad?

I've got one in the stock location (after pump, before carb) and just installed another one before the pump on the pass side inner fender. I like the idea of seeing if I'm getting gas before and after the pump and I like the replaceable elements but now the idea of a glass tube so close to the exhaust manifold is making me nervous.... anyone had one of these break or otherwise spew gas everywhere?
Dave
Old 07-28-2003, 08:40 AM
High Wheeler

Send a message via MSN to sully0812 Send a message via Yahoo to sully0812

There was a thread about this a while back.

I run one in the stock location, and havenever had a problem. (you just have to make sure the filter itself is screwed tight, otherwise it will leak), but I recall someone having a horror story about the Scout burning to the ground.

I like being able to see the element,and I've never had an issue with it yet. Short of it getting pushed into the fan abnd breaking, I have a hard time seeing how it could break. (And if it's getting pushed into the fan, chances are, that's the least of my worries at that point.)
Old 07-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Binder Driver

The cheapy glass filters suck, the element does not catch small bits. My glass filter had plenty of garbage in it, when I removed the top of the carb it too had plenty of garbage in it. I then added a plastic filter near the tank and one after the pump. Run a clear plastic filter if you want to see what is going on.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Farmall Cub

Sully0812- Cool, It reassures me that you're running one and You haven't exploded

Wheeled Scout- If by cheapy you mean the "Spectre" brand that comes with plastic fittings for different size hose that Auto Zone sells for $9.99 then I guess I'm O.K. because I would never skimp on such an important and potentially dangerous part.

O.K., yes I did, twice....
Old 07-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Farmall Cub

I have had 4 of the glass filters crap out on me in a short time---always when I really didn't want them to. I do not think they can handle any kind of aftermarket fuel pump. I dislike them very much.

REF

"Don't forget to bring a towel...." Towelie(South Park)

http://www.southparkstudios.com/down/download.html?file=/media/sounds/508/BRINGATOWEL.wav

'63 Scout 80
Old 07-29-2003, 06:04 AM
High Wheeler

Default My glass filter cracked

Put a glass filter on my just purchased 1210 pickup. We drove 3 miles to a restauraunt. Smelled gas when we parked it. Found a large puddle of gas on the intake maniford and crack that ran the entire length of the glass cylinder. Very lucky that it did not catch fire.

We let it sit and ate our meal. Then called my daughter to bring me home for tools and a metal filter. She thoroughly enjoyed rescuing dad.

Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) = 3 Miles
Old 07-29-2003, 06:17 AM
Farmall Cub

Hmmmm...

1 good, 3 bad.... It's not looking good, folks
Dave
Old 07-29-2003, 12:33 PM
High Wheeler

Send a message via MSN to sully0812 Send a message via Yahoo to sully0812

Quote:
Originally posted by REF
I have had 4 of the glass filters crap out on me in a short time---always when I really didn't want them to. I do not think they can handle any kind of aftermarket fuel pump. I dislike them very much.

REF
How did they crap out? Break? leak? I've had to tighten mine (tighten the metal ends around the glass cylinder and element) once when it started leaking, but that's the only problem I've had.

I'm using the stock pump though.

I can't remember what brand mine was, it came from Autozone, and came with two replacement elements.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Banned

I use metal canisters for fuel filters made by wix or fram etc. no glass or plastic for me.
never mind leakage, the glass can break from a fan belt shredding and striking it. plastic can melt from an engine fire, which will add more fuel to the existing fire.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Farmall Cub

I've never used glass for the same reason John says. If you want to know if fuel is getting to the carb you can always just pinch the line to see if there is pressure from fuel.

Tags
aftermarket , carb , cracked , cylinder , engine , filter , glass , ground , part , pickup , rewire , scout , scout ii , top , truck