Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Frame off restoration, building a homeade car dolly

Hey Im about the take the body off from the frame and need to build a body dolly so I can move it around the shop and also to sandblast the frame etc. Anyone built one for a Scout II before? I was just wondering before I build this frankenstein body dolly. Also anyone who has taken of the body before anything special for a scout? I've never done one before so this will be FUN!! Oh and I'll take pics of the fun..
Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 PM
High Wheeler

Default Re: Frame off restoration, building a homeade car dolly

I would weld in brace to to doors to help support the tub when its off the frame. You might need more if the tub has been weakened by rust!

And make sure the dolly is heavy duty enough to support the weight of the tub its heavy!
-55 Chevy 210 Delray 235/3sp
-56 Chevy Belair 4 door hardtop*next project* 5.3/4l60/3.08's

LSx swap info
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Binder Driver

Here is a link from the JI site. It was made for an 80 but something similar would work for a Scout II.
Look at the bottom of the first page and the top of the second.

http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/s...ead.php?t=9647
1967 Travelall panel
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Farmall Cub

Now thats a heavy duty setup Thanks for the ideas!!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Moderator.. or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveblazin View Post
Now thats a heavy duty setup Thanks for the ideas!!

I agree that's nice and simple. Keep in mind however that the back side of SII bodies are heavier than 80/800's, and will sag, expectantly if you don't brace the door openings.

Brace the door openings, support in the center like above and just do prep and cleaning work to the tub. Any fit-finish body work, wait till its back on the frame, shimmed and leveled and the frame supported like it would be on the axles to make sure things line up like they are supposed to. Then when your happy, put it back on your stand to paint if you wish.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Farmall Cub

Wow, nobody disagrees and thinks he needs to build a big fancy rotisserie instead of Dan's simple but effective tilting type? The only thoughts that came to my mind are that considering the size and weight difference in the Scout II and an 80/800 duplicating all the body mounts might be worth while. Also if you made each mount individually removable you could clean and paint those parts one at a time and still keep the load spread out on the rest. What ever you decide to build you might be able to recoup your cost by selling it when your done. If Dan still has his I bet he'll get offers on it too. The only time I pulled a body off we just rolled the chassis out from under it and set it on saw horses in a back yard as a bunch of stupid teenagers. (Luckily my buddies and I survived with all our body parts intact from those years.) Good luck on your Scout.

80 Terra diesel w/shell, "dad's tractor" (sounds like, smells like, and is almost as slow as one)
72 1210 Travelall 4x4, "the family truckster" (from the movie Vacation)
Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Farmall Cub

I just pulled the cab off a '70 1010 and was amazed at how much that thing weighs. Even with the doors removed it took five of my buddies and me to get it off the frame and on to blocks. My back still hurts.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 AM
High Wheeler

Do you need a tilting setup? Or just to move the body around? I'm in process of a frame off on a pickup and I'm just going to use a 4x6 utility trailer and a couple 4x4 posts to dymmy up a frame under the cab and front clip. For a tilting setup, I've seen folks use 2 engine stands but you need to balance things properly or it will tip. I've also rolled a body sideways off a frame and onto a stack of tires so I could do floor work, just make sure you tie and stake it down so it doesn't roll over.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Farmall Cub

I made one for a model 80. When finished with that I modified the set up to use on a 74 Scout II. Tall enough to work under and strong enough to sit in. Of course, both bodies were well braced with square tubing. Using existing mountings for door hinges, latch pins, and top bolt down holes. Roll that baby anywhere with ease. 1" or 1&1/4" , .081(walls) is strong enought. Front dolley is held on with 2" angle using inner fender mounting holes. 2" tubing running side to side. But, I do like the idea of tilting it like in that linked post. This one has suited me very well. Dang if I will do another one though. Well, maybe 1 more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YLW SCT SUPPORT 004.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	43869   Click image for larger version

Name:	YLW SCT SUPPORT 008.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	43870   Click image for larger version

Name:	YELLOW SCOUT BODY OFF 011.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	466.8 KB
ID:	43871   Click image for larger version

Name:	YELLOW SCOUT BODY OFF 013.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	43872  

Last edited by spreader; 01-22-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Dreams of Cub Cadets

I didn't brace my door openings, and it worked fine. I had just repaired/replaced the #2 body mounts and inner and outer rockers, however, so they were good and solid.

I cut a heavy piece of angle iron and bolted it where the back seat was, and another piece of angle went on the top of the rear bed floor bolted through the rear body mount holes. Then I welded a couple inch long piece of heavy walled pipe into each angle. Run a forklift fork through the pipe pieces, and lift. It worked really well, and the Scout tub was surprisingly well balanced when we rolled it over. One guy could roll it right around no problem, and if you wanted to stop it anywhere at all, it was balanced enough to stay put. I don't know what your neighborhood is like, but if you don't have a forklift, and there are any farms around, a hay bale spike would do the same thing...and Farmer Jack may just be willing to help for a couple minutes if you ask real nice, and you make good lemonade. You can see the front angle/pipe creation in this picture.

PS-A Scout II will sit pretty flat on the ground upside down once you pull the windshield frame off. I sat my tub upside down on top of some wood blocks, placed at the firewall, and the quarter panels. It is a good height to work on the bottom side. See background of these pics:

Also, you can see the rear angle/pipe jig in the first pic if you look close. Kinda look like oversized rifle scope mounts to me.
1980 Scout II-Chevy LT1, 700r4, NP241, 3.73's, RS, 4" lift, 31's. Daily driver

Tags
1010 , 4x4 , 800 , axles , binder , body , build , dolly , door , doors , engine , frame , front , mounts , paint , parts , pickup , restoration , rust , scout , scout ii , start , tires , top , trailer