Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Binder Driver

Default Snow plow on scout II

anyone have experience with one? Where do they mount? I'm planning on putting a plow on my 1980 over christmass break. Assuming I'm going to have to build a mount from a mount from another donor plow truck.
1975 RHD Scout II 460 ZF 1356 205 HP60 70 4-link 42's.
I don't get Metros, sorry.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Binder Driver

Default Re: Snow plow on scout II

If you plan on any real plowing with your Scout it is best to find one that was made for a Scout. The Scout frame is a box so it is not that strong in any one place. There are lots of Scout plow frames around if you look. If you can't find one it would be best to copy an original. I think you are better off driving for a day to get one that fits rather then spending days tring to make one fit. If you have the right one you can mount it in a few hours. As far as I know a frame from any Scout II will fit . If the frame is from an early Scout II you may have to remove your sway bar. On some of the frames you ca cut a slot for the sway bar to go through.
I found this on craigs list : http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/1463651934.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout frame 001.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	42542   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	42543   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	42544   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	42545   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	42546  

Last edited by jeff rotella; 11-22-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Farmall Cub

I just mounted a Meyer plow on my '78. It mounts to the frame on the driver's side to the rear ps box stud and on the passenger side just rearward of the front spring hanger. I thought I would need to take out the steer-straight, but after installing it, i don't think that I needed to take it out. If you need pics, just let me know.
'70 1100 4x4 '#3' parts
'74 200 4x4 'Heavy D'
'78 Scout II 'Mr. Hanky'
plus a '63 Stude, '65 Valiant conv, '56 Porsche replica, SRT6
...is that enough?

Logging progress on Mr. Hanky here:
www.mrhankscout.blogspot.com

Triple Diamond Fourwheelers
Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 AM

If you need photos, right now I have two Scout II plows that are off the trucks- one is a Meyer that I thought was refabbed from something else, but now that I read Bennett's post I'm not sure. It has an angle to in back of the steering box on the driver's side, then an angle back not nearly as far on the passenger side where it then uses a BIG bolt that goes up through the frame vertically. It looks like somebody added another brace to the rear of that also, to match the driver's side. This one doesn't have the provision for the 'sway bar' between the front shackles since it originally came off of a 72 Scout II. The other one is a Western, totally factory mount for a Scout II with the provision for the sway bar. I plan to use the Meyer (easier to install due to wires instead of the cables and big old control box), but since both are off right now I can take pics if you want to show the mounting points etc.

I also saw that ad on CL for the frame, IMHO that's about double what that frame is worth. It would be nice to have to avoid fabrication and all, but I've sold complete, working plow setups for Scout II's for not much more than that....I realize they're not making those frames anymore, but I also realize that lots of people are junking plow Scouts, and not too many are 'adding' plow Scout except us diehards.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Binder Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bernth View Post
I also saw that ad on CL for the frame, IMHO that's about double what that frame is worth. It would be nice to have to avoid fabrication and all, but I've sold complete, working plow setups for Scout II's for not much more than that....I realize they're not making those frames anymore, but I also realize that lots of people are junking plow Scouts, and not too many are 'adding' plow Scout except us diehards.
I agree that is a lot for just a frame, especially one that has been re-worked.I have got whole Scouts with plows for not a lot more. However if you need one $300 is better than spending a lot of time building something. I feel $100 is a lot for it if it is only a frame.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Farmall Cub

I have a plow on my '74. The PO added a lot of extra bracing and fabbed up their own front mount. I will advise to put helper springs on the front to keep weight distribution correct. I have both air bags & a helper spring, with the plow I've got mounted, it still tries to sag when lifted.

A lot of welding was done to make the attachment points, but it's darn strong and holds up well at -60*F.

There are pics of different plows under the search tool, but if you want bracing ideas, check out this thread

I can get more pics if needed, the plow is on right now.

HTH

Bill
'69 Scout 800A "Black Widow" - SOLD
'63 Scout 80 Dually -(SOLD)
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Binder Driver

hmm, interesting. I figured the factory bump stops were so close to the axle it wouldn't be an issue.

My plans were to do spring over front with extra leafs from another sII pack I've got.
1975 RHD Scout II 460 ZF 1356 205 HP60 70 4-link 42's.
I don't get Metros, sorry.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
High Wheeler

Send a message via ICQ to IHWILD Send a message via AIM to IHWILD Send a message via Yahoo to IHWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by larboc View Post
hmm, interesting. I figured the factory bump stops were so close to the axle it wouldn't be an issue.

My plans were to do spring over front with extra leafs from another sII pack I've got.
If you do your spring pack idea. Search for Bill USN-1 's build. He re did some spring packs with anti friction pads and an extra leaf. If you do take yours apart you might consider doing what he did. It might make any stiffness easier to deal with if the springs move easily. I'm going to go with the UHMW plastic tape instead of the pads he used because of not needing to drill.
If you want. I have access to a Meyers lower mount (the meat and potatoes of the mount) for a Scout. I can take measurements and pictures of it tomorrow. I also have access to a Western mount which I think also took Fisher plows I can take some pictures of. The meyers is off and the Western is on a scout. I do not know if the Western is orginal or not but I think it is.

Rich

Rich
1979 Scout II 345 Auto 4X4 2in skyjacker, 2in body, 31X10.5X15, Rollcage, rattle can paint. Also roughly 13 other Scouts, 1 Travelall at my dad's some for restoration, some for parts hehe others ummm.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 PM
High Wheeler

Send a message via ICQ to IHWILD Send a message via AIM to IHWILD Send a message via Yahoo to IHWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff rotella View Post
If you plan on any real plowing with your Scout it is best to find one that was made for a Scout. The Scout frame is a box so it is not that strong in any one place.
What other kind of frame is stronger then a box frame? (Without going to tubing or hydroformed) Doesn't everyone who is trying to strengthen their frame on a project end up boxing theirs in? Just curious what you meant by this.

Rich
1979 Scout II 345 Auto 4X4 2in skyjacker, 2in body, 31X10.5X15, Rollcage, rattle can paint. Also roughly 13 other Scouts, 1 Travelall at my dad's some for restoration, some for parts hehe others ummm.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Binder Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWILD View Post
What other kind of frame is stronger then a box frame? (Without going to tubing or hydroformed) Doesn't everyone who is trying to strengthen their frame on a project end up boxing theirs in? Just curious what you meant by this.

Rich
A box frame is strong, The issue is the wall thickness where you attach. A Scout frame is less than 1/8 inch iirc. Most C channel frames are about twice as thick. If you bolt or weld to a small area it can tear away. A small amount of rust on an a thin wall frame can really weaken it
When you mount the plow it needs to be reinforced properly. Most plow frames made for a Scout will have a large contact area on the frame to spread the stress. Usually along the bottom of the frame. It is not a good idea to weld the plow frame to the truck frame. Bolting it allows a slight movement to absorb shock. In the worst case it is better to have a bolt shear off than rip your frame apart. If you do weld it, use large gussets.
Snow plowing is tough on a vehicle. It seems that no matter how carefull you are, sooner or later you will hit something HARD. Hitting a manhole ,curb or even a frozen snow bank is like hitting a brick wall. Where the plow is attached takes the whole blow.If your Scout has weak body or motor mounts that is another concern.
Scouts are great plow trucks, I have plowed snow with them for 40+ years. I also have seen many plows break the truck they are attached to.

Tags
100 , 1980 , axle , bar , binderplanet , broke , build , cooler , cracked , frame , front , full size , hanger , jeff rotella , mount , mounts , photos , pictures , project , rear , scout , scout ii , steering , truck , tubing