Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Facebook Twitter Banner

Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Cracked sidewalls on Tires - Dangerous?

I've been storing these 33" super swampers outside for about 5-7 yrs. I finally put the body lift on to accomodate them, got rid of the rust and painted the rims they are on - only to put them on fill them w/air and discover these disturbing cracks along the sidewalls

These are Bias ply TSLs with min wear. The markings say 4 ply nylon on the sidewall. The guy at the tire/brake shop told me not to run them, my friend who's a mechanic said they're fine - I don't know?

I am sure these have very thick sidewalls. My plans are to use these for wheeling/camping trips. I lke to go 4-6hrs away for such occasions, so i'm sure the tires will get hot espacialy going up in altitude. Then there is the stresses from airing down and flexing them over rocks...

Anyone have experience or advice on this? I have 33" BFG Mud terrains for around town, but it's these tires I've been lokng forward to. FYI, the second set is now in the garage.
Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsl01.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	41548   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsl01a.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	41549   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsl02.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	41550   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsl02a.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	41551  
2 1/2 rancho springs (under), 1 1/2 shackles, 1 1/2 body lift (borgeson)
detroit-rear, trac lock-front
354s - 33" Swampers
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Farmall Cub

Send a message via AIM to Lowell
Default Re: Cracked sidewalls on Tires - Dangerous?

I wish I knew the answer to that question!

My son recently bought a 1979 IH Scout with very good looking Dunlop tires on it and the tires are approaching 6 years old. I found a Dunlop web site and sent an e-mail to them asking about tire age recomendations. I received the following reply from Goodyear:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site and for your interest in tire safety.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) represents the position that
there is not one specific chronological age at which tires should be
removed from service because there is no data that supports a specific age.

Age is not the key, consistent maintenance, proper inflation and regular
inspection for treadwear patterns and damage are the keys to good tire
performance.

While there is no data that demonstrates a tire is less safe when it
reaches a certain age, for consumers who are concerned about the age or
condition of their tires, it is recommended they let a tire professional
inspect their tires.

Sincerely,
Sue
Consumer Relations

I'm still not sure what to believe but use caution.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Farmall Cub

This is a difficult question to advise on. I enjoy nothing more than getting “my moneys worth” sometimes contrary to good judgment. I have run deeply checked tires on the rear axle at times without an incident. I try to use the heavy truck rule of keeping any questionable carcasses off the steering axle. If the damage is ozone or ultraviolet induced it might be a surface problem. If the damage is heat or age related there might be worse damage under the surface. Some people feel that you are already dealing with additional challenges by driving a trail truck on the highway, although; everyone driving where the government does a poor job of maintaining the roads is taking the same risk. Where the highways are poorly maintained it could be argued that hitting a pot hole at 70 mph is worse on a tire than rolling over a trail rock at 20 mph. If you do run those tires on the highway stay vigilant for any warning signs of progressive failure and inspect often.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Farmall Cub

Thanks - I know, immediately I was like - I can't run these! Then the tire guy says no. My friend (who's always wrenchin) comes along and says "they're fine - just run em". Which is obviously what I want to hear. Then we look at one of my BFGs and it has a crack all the way around it about 1/2 way down the sidewall...

So I start researching these TSLs and apparently they have an extra thick sidewall (4 ply nylon) and since they're bias ply, they are ideal for airing down. Not to mention, I paid about $500 for the set of 5 w/rims that I just spent 2-3 days removing rust/repainting

Can you feel the pain?
354s - 33" Swampers
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Farmall Cub

Thanks 645100, they were exposed to the cool weather we have here in pacifica (60-65) usually a bit on the foggy side.

What is a good pressure to run these bias ply on the highway? Normally, I run my tires at about 30-32. When i drove to the gas station w/20 pounds in them, they looked full. I filled them to 28/30.
354s - 33" Swampers
Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Binder Driver

i had got a great set of 31's i guess when the guy parked it it only had 500 miles on them, they were dry rotted, me also was told by one guy not to run them, another guy said go ahead there fine, i ended up getting rid of them, i didnt want to get hurt or hurt someone else if i was going down road and was driving on tires i knew may not be good, funny how thinking changes when you have kids, 500 bones is tough to swallow, but make the right choice

78 Terra
71 Scout II
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Farmall Cub

Tires with thick sidewalls are more sensitive to running at highway speed while low on pressure. Compact cars run very light duty tires they are much more forgiving to high speed operation with partial inflation. The thinner sidewall allows the heat to conduct out of the rubber and cord and transfer to the road and atmosphere. Heavier tires found on SUVs and pickups trap heat in the sidewall and can not be run at highway speed while underinflated. If you recall the ford SUV firestone tire incidents that almost ruined firestone, the slight under inflation specified by ford to soften the SUV ride caused damage that led to some blowouts. I would run them at the upper end of the inflation recommendation while on the highway.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Farmall Cub

I just stumbled upon an excellent source of info re: benefits of bias ply and radial tires.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=263803

This info is from the article including input from the interco co. here's an excerpt:

"For severe off-road driving, the bias ply is a stronger tire. The nylon sidewalls resist abrasions more than the polyester. More importantly, the bias construction tolerates twisting and bending from rocks and roots. Since the sidewall is as strong as the rest of the body, it can take lateral loads from rocks and roots without splitting. They can survive abuse that would destroy a radial. The radial's sidewall plies don't reinforce each other, making them very vulnerable to splitting from twisting, bending, and side loads. The weak sidewalls can also bulge out quite far, exposing them to danger. The bias ply can use extremely aggressive treads for excellent traction. Sidewall tread blocks can help protect the sidewall further and to add traction to climb out of ruts and up rocks"

"If using a bias ply on the street, strict attention must be paid to air pressure. Since they are stiff, they look inflated even with very little air pressure. Driving with this condition can lead to ply separation because they heat up excessively. Radials on the street need to have the correct air pressure too to prevent radial cracking or tread separation (those rings of tread material on the side of the highway). If using radials off-road, try to keep the air pressure up to decrease the sidewall bulge and to prevent splitting."
354s - 33" Swampers
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Lives in an IH Dealership

Yes those tires are toast. I wouldn't recommend running them on the street. The typical life span of the rubber in a tire is 5-7 years in the best of situations, which means driving on them regularly. Store them either on or off the vehicle and the life of the rubber will be reduced.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Farmall Cub

This is a link to enable you to read the tire code to age tires. It's amazing sometimes how old your tires really are.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AK1&....jsp&techid=11

Tags
100 , 800 , axle , body , brake , cracked , efi , flex , front , key , lift , mount , pictures , poor , rear , rear axle , rust , safety , scout , start , steering , tires , trail rig , truck