Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

2nd Annual North West Poker Run

Old 05-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Binder Driver

Default Speedometer rolling in reverse

I had purchased a scout that the po said it had over 350,000 miles on it. It was her dads and he lived in New Mexico and drove it back and forth to Alaska. They claim that everything was original, engine, trans, transcase. I did find in the owners manual that the trans had been rebuilt at 210,000 miles. No way could the motor last that long. It runs strong no oil use etc. The speedo did not work when I bought it. I took a cable of a parts rig and my odometer runs backwords, when in reverse the speedo will show miles per hour. My guess is the trans case had been removed and changed. A cable is a cable. My uncle said consider yourself lucky with the odemeter running backwords. But I want the speedo to work. He said you can change the grear in the trans case that drives the cable. Anyone done that before? How do you do it? Thanks!
74 200 (345)4wd p/u KS
74 100 (392)4wd T-all Cali/Mex
73 1110 (Olds 350 Rocket) Mo rig
73 1110 (392) Wagonmaster 4wd 4" lift
Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
High Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to DavidWTravelallfan Send a message via Yahoo to DavidWTravelallfan
Default Re: Speedometer rolling in reverse

Yes..the motors can last that long..back and forth to Alaska is all hwy miles..which is good. Mine has over 300k on it with original rings and pistons. keep up the maitenance, they will last.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Binder Driver

On my 800 w/ T-18 and D-20, the transfer case has an adapter into which the speedometer cable runs; this contains the gears for changing the ratio to allow for different axle ratios and tire sizes. I would assume the direction of rotation into the adapter would be the same as out of it, so leaving the adapter off (if possible) wouldn't cause your problem. I would also think the internal gear arrangement in the adapter couldn't be changed to leave out or ad one gear, which would change directions.

If you can tell us which direction (CW or CCW) of rotation (looking from the transmission end or the speedometer cable) makes the speedometer record properly, maybe we can tell you whether you likely have a nonstandard speedometer, or rather have something different down below.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Binder Driver

Which end of the vehicle has the steering wheel?
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Binder Driver

If he remounted the axles upside down, that would fix the speedometer problem---but then he's have French Drive; one forward and three or four reverse!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Mod from Downunder

Send a message via MSN to Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Send a message via Yahoo to Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Hmmm, are you sure your scout isn't named 'Christine'???????????????

Be careful dude, the scout may end up controlling your life!

If you can work out the time difference, call me +61 0417 322 707 GMT + 11 hours!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned

Are you sure the vehicle wasn't involved in an accident? A time travel team (from the movie Millenium) might be responsible.

Stephanie (why is the clock on the wall going backwards?)
Old 11-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Content Team

Neglect the opinions of our humorists!

If you pull the outer fitting of the speedo mount at the transfer case, you will find a short shaft with a gear on the end that engages a worm gear on the output shaft of the tranfer case. That gear can be changed to calibrate the speedo. There are also small gear cases that install between the transfer case and the speedo cable that will also change the speedo reading.

Never in all my days have I seen one run backwards. Haven't a clue what might be wrong.

I guess we are back with the humorists...
Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Binder Driver

My uncle told me that it has been apart somewhere, maybe a transfer case switch and it didn't match up. When I told him it rolled backwards there for the odemeter runs backwards he said "consider yourself lucky". He thinks it is related in the cruise box. He said years ago they ran into that at the chevy garage when they replaced them and they were not the correct one. He told me to hook directly to the speedo from the t-case. So I did no different. He said it is in the t-case someone has the wrong gear in there...guess it's been changed out at one point. But man, nothing like driving a vehicle and taking the miles off if it.
74 200 (345)4wd p/u KS
74 100 (392)4wd T-all Cali/Mex
73 1110 (Olds 350 Rocket) Mo rig
73 1110 (392) Wagonmaster 4wd 4" lift
Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Farmall Cub

After reading this thread, it makes me want to hook up the speedo to see if I can get it to run backwards. Sure would confuse the shops when it does go in. Although they get confused enough with the speedo stuck at 40mph sitting still and the same mileage all the time (broken cable & bad gauge).
'69 Scout 800A "Black Widow" - SOLD
'63 Scout 80 Dually -(SOLD)

Tags
800 , adapter , axle , axles , broke , cable , case , engine , front , gear , mount , oil , parts , reverse , scout , speedometer , steering , stuck , switch , t-18 , tranny , transmission