Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > Special Interest Groups > Diesel Tech

Old 05-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Isuzu diesel conversion

On a few other diesel forums, much to the aghast of several members, the issue of Izusu diesel conversions have come up with favorable results. Especially the 4cylinder variants in vehicles with limited length under the hood.

The basic opinion is that they are very durable motors that have much less vibration than the 4BT cummins. Searching for engines, they are quite available in auto trim as opposed to the 4BT, I guess that is because they are seen everywhere around town in delivery trucks. NPR's and GMC medium duty.

The opinions site the best motor as being the 170 hp version, but I believe it is computer controlled.

Just wondering what the thought is on this site. I have seen one 4BT in a jeep. It would crawl a wall and rattle your fillings out. As dental work is expensive, my initial impression caused me to cross that one off of my list.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 AM
High Wheeler

Default SD22/Jeep

The little brother to the Nissan Diesel SD-33 six-cylinder is the Nissan Diesel four-cylinder SD-22, likewise a very smooth and quiet engine. Plus, it was easily available in Datsun/Nissan model 720 pickups '81-'83, and came with a good 5-spd OD transmission.

I have one of these SD-22/5-spd setups that I'd planned to use in a Jeep but don't think I ever will, now. That engine would fit as though it was made to go in the Jeep engine room.

PM me if you want to know more--I need to get it out of my garage.

Eddie

'And I'm the tool,' I muttered. Then I thought about it, sighed, and shook my head. 'One day,' I told myself, 'one brave and magnificent day, I will actually be cool.'"

adapted from 'Cold Days'", Jim Butcher, 2012
Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Farmall Cub

The 4 cylinder Isuzu has a much higher power output than the Nissan 6 let alone the 4.

I think I am looking for the 170 hp, 350 ft/lbs, version. I think they also come with chevy bell housings or adapters on the GMC version.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-30-2007, 07:33 AM
High Wheeler

Default Re: Isuzu diesel conversion

I'm interested in using an Isuzu diesel 4cylinder turbo w/ either the Allison or Aisin trans (basic NPR configuration) for a 2WD truck conversion. Does anyone have any idea on how much this combination weighs?

Has anyone seen or done a similar swap?
In progress . . .
Former METRO and S-140 Owner
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Binder Driver

Send a message via AIM to Tonka Toy

I don't know the exact number, but from what I have read it weighs about the same as an SD33T. I am likely to go the same route, and I found this site that should really help you: www.4btswaps.com. They are mostly about Cummins 4bt's, but have a discussion board for the Isuzu's also. They don't have the quality FAQ set-up like we do, but there's tons of info in stickies on each of the boards.

And then there is www.isuzudieselswapper.com. David makes adapters to bolt this engine to GM transmissions. But I'm with you, I am looking at using the Isuzu gearbox as well. For me, the only obstacles are the trans length and adapting a T-case to it. I think I have the adapting part figgered out. I just gotta go prowl the local yard for those trucks and take some measurements. But in a 2wd truck, it will be much easier (obviously). Does this truck have IH emblems or something else? Just curious.

76 Scout II Dodge 360/727 My DD (Build picts here: http://s48.beta.photobucket.com/user...ower%20Project)

72 1110 TravelAll 345/727 Wife's toy and our family adventure rig
Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk064 View Post
Just wondering what the thought is on this site. I have seen one 4BT in a jeep. It would crawl a wall and rattle your fillings out. As dental work is expensive, my initial impression caused me to cross that one off of my list.
As the owner of a 61 Travelette with a 4BTA that I installed, here are my thoughts (for what they are worth). Just because you have seen one installation that may or may not have had the best engine mount setup in a very short and lightweight Jeep, doesn't mean that you should write the engine off for bad behavior. While my truck is unmistakably a diesel, the only time it has any real undesirable shaking is when you first start it and when you shut it off, but I am working on adding a small shock absorber to connect the engine to the frame to alleviate some of that. While it is running, there is no doubt that it is a Cummins motor, but even my wife says that the noise and vibration are not obscene (and THAT is saying something ). I know that there are other factors to consider in choosing an engine for a swap, and maybe this is the least of your concerns for your application, but I would hate to see you discount an excellent engine like the 4BT based on your experience with one vehicle.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 PM
High Wheeler

Quote:
Does this truck have IH emblems or something else?
Not sure yet. Possibly my METRO van, but I'd like to consider a diesel conversion on some sort of truck. I'm just in the brainstorm and pipe dream phase at this point. Thanks for the link to Isuzudieselswapper
In progress . . .
Former METRO and S-140 Owner
Old 08-04-2007, 04:36 AM
Farmall Cub

Hi guys.

I own one of these engines (Isuzu 4BD1T, 135hp) fitted to a rangerover. I'm also the moderator of the Isuzu diesel section on 4BTswaps.com That place is probably the best source for info on these motors, I'm building up a library of anything possible. Including a 3D CAD model.

But if you have any questions, fire away.
I can confirm that chev bellhousings will not fit. Some of the industrial engines have an SAE #3 housing. But the automotive ones do not.

Cheers
Dougal
Old 08-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Diesel Herder / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
Hi guys.

I own one of these engines (Isuzu 4BD1T, 135hp) fitted to a rangerover. I'm also the moderator of the Isuzu diesel section on 4BTswaps.com That place is probably the best source for info on these motors, I'm building up a library of anything possible. Including a 3D CAD model.

But if you have any questions, fire away.
I can confirm that chev bellhousings will not fit. Some of the industrial engines have an SAE #3 housing. But the automotive ones do not.

Cheers
Dougal
Doug,

Thanks for coming by it's great when all of a diesel people can share info.

I'd like to hear more about the Isuzu bell housing and what mates up to them.

Carey

You're as cornfused as a cow on AstroTurf.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Farmall Cub

Hi Friends,

We in the Philippines have retrofitted most of our gasoline fed engines to Japanese surplus diesel engines in the early 80's because of the uncontrollable rise of fuel prices.

My family had a 77 Scout Traveler (345), a 74 MB 280S (W116) and a 76 Chevy Blazer (K5). The shift to diesel was first done to the Blazer since it drank the most. The Isuzu 4BA1 packed the highest hp compared to C240, C221 & C190 available in the market at that time.

Yes, we choose Isuzu from the other Japanese brands for the reason that it was the most widely used engine by our 'Jeepneys' (local transport) and was known for being dependable and affordable.

The conversion was a success in bringing down fuel expenses BUT had weak points in relation to overall performance.

Then the MB was next but we had second thoughts on using another Japanese engine, so with much haggling with a German auto shop, a 300D was offered in exchange with the I6 twin-cam twin-carb engine plus cash...we were happy of the decision!

It took a couple of years when we decided to have a diesel on the Scout -We wanted it stock. I was reading then a 4X4 magazine when I came across pictures of a Scout Terra winning a Baja Race using an IH 6D33T diesel engine. Wrote a letter to SSS and they sent a catalogue where I saw the diesel to be a Nissan SD33T.

At last, a Japanese diesel designed for our Scout and the rest of the story is history!

Now another Japanese diesel conversion...WHY???

Tags
1967 , 2wd , 345 , case , conversion , cummins , cylinder , diesel , engine , faq , metro , number , part , pickup , power , project , sd33 , sd33t , starter , tires , top , transmission , truck , turbo , turbo diesel