Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Facebook Twitter Banner

Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Farmall Cub

Default 304 with a 727 torqueflite

I have a 1970 scout 800a. Hopefully early this spring I'm going to throw a 304 in to replace the 232. My question is can I marry the 304 with 727 torqueflite with a big block or small block bolt pattern?

This spring I will also be swapping out the axle's with scout II axle's.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Re: 304 with a 727 torqueflite

You'll need to use a 727 out of a IH. The dodge patterns won't work.
68 800 Half Cab (Wifes DD)
--_________
-/__/\____\,__
(-----(-O===O-)
-()_)o()_)o--()_)
Old 12-08-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
have a 1970 scout 800a. Hopefully early this spring I'm going to throw a 304 in to replace the 232. My question is can I marry the 304 with 727 torqueflite with a big block or small block bolt pattern?
You must be a pretty good welder to cut off the old motor mounts and weld on new ones. Like said before there is only one IH pattern 727.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCscoutguy
You must be a pretty good welder to cut off the old motor mounts and weld on new ones. Like said before there is only one IH pattern 727.
I'm confused... what do the motor mounts have to do with the transmission?

From my understanding the scouts had the option of a 152 4-cyl, a 196 4-cyl, a 232 inline 6, a 266 V-8 or a 304 V-8. Are the motor mounts for the 304 not available?

Mainly I was posting to see if there was some sort of adapter for the transmission. Not that I'm doubting anyone, but just having a hard time with understanding how chrysler would produce a transmission custom for IH when they had thousands already in production... wouldn't it be cheaper for them to make an adapter plate between the bell housing and the back of the engine?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I'm confused... what do the motor mounts have to do with the transmission?

From my understanding the scouts had the option of a 152 4-cyl, a 196 4-cyl, a 232 inline 6, a 266 V-8 or a 304 V-8. Are the motor mounts for the 304 not available?

Mainly I was posting to see if there was some sort of adapter for the transmission. Not that I'm doubting anyone, but just having a hard time with understanding how chrysler would produce a transmission custom for IH when they had thousands already in production... wouldn't it be cheaper for them to make an adapter plate between the bell housing and the back of the engine?
You are right about the engines being offered but IH bought the 232 from AMC and thus the frame has AMC motor mounts. If you want to put in a IH motor you will have to cut off the old AMC style motor mounts and weld in IH motor mounts. As far as the transmissions go yes there were plenty of IH only bellhousing pattern 727's made just like there were plenty of AMC bellhousing patterns made.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCscoutguy
You are right about the engines being offered but IH bought the 232 from AMC and thus the frame has AMC motor mounts. If you want to put in a IH motor you will have to cut off the old AMC style motor mounts and weld in IH motor mounts. As far as the transmissions go yes there were plenty of IH only bellhousing pattern 727's made just like there were plenty of AMC bellhousing patterns made.
ah that makes much more sense!

Tags
adapter , axle , custom , engine , frame , scout , scout 80 , scout ii , transmission