Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 11-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Farmall Cub

Default kerosene for parts washer solvent?

Binders,

I was just given a parts washer, but unfortunately the solvent was not included. I'm wondering if kerosene would be a suitable solvent; I've used it in "bucket" form many times for cleaning up greasy parts, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-06-2005, 07:06 PM
High Wheeler

Default Re: kerosene for parts washer solvent?

For a parts washer, stoddard solvent would work better and a lot safer.

'56 S110 240 I6/4spd
'71 1210 345 V8/4spd 2WD
'67 Travelall BG246/4spd 2WD
Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Bruce Shealy

DO NOT use kerosene, all it would take is a small electrical spark fron the pump to set off the kerosene,..very unsafe to use ANY Flammable substance in a parts washer.

1977 Scout Midas Street Machine
1980 Scout Terra
1980 Scout SD33T

Charter Member SEBA
Old 11-06-2005, 08:22 PM
High Wheeler

Kerosene is damn near diesel, why wash parts in an oily solvent??? That's why we wash 'em, to get the parts CLEAN!!!

Use Stoddard, it's the safest, I use napatha/mineral spirits in parts washers that are rated for it (like the "old" SafetyKleen stuff), must have a sealed-type, non-sparking motor, etc.

Most "consumer" type parts washers today are for use only with water-base materials.

Support: http://www.carbonbelchday.com/

Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 AM
High Wheeler

Stoddard Solvent really isn't safer than kerosene for parts cleaning. Kerosene has a flash point of 110°F and an ignition temp of 410°F. Stoddard has a flash point of 70°F and an ignition temp of 440°F. Pretty similar. Flash point is more a way of classifying flammable/combustible liquids, and not an indicator of the heat needed to be a potential ignition source. Flash point is the temp at which a liquid needs to be heated to to produce a brief *flash* fire of vapors in a closed vessel when an ignition device is triggered above the liquid surface. Below 110°F ambient temp, kerosene doesn't produce enough vapor to *flash*.

That said, I often use a small amount of kerosene (the pure 1-K type) to clean really greasy parts. I do it outside in a steel parts washer. The parts washer tub has no pump motor. The kerosene is only in 4 to 8 oz portions and is in a smaller container tray inside the parts washer. The parts washer lid is also equipped with a fusible link to close the top in case of a fire. You should also wear nitrile gloves when using any non water-based degreaser.

I find that the 1-K kerosene easily wipes off parts and doesn't really leave an oily residue. I also do a final wiping with a water based degreaser (Oil Eater, Simple Green, etc) anyways, regardless of what initial solvent is used.

The best *safe* solvent to use is the commercial SafetyKleen or Zep solvents. Unfortunately, obtaining some for personal use is near impossible, at least around here.

Work Smart, Not Hard...
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 AM

Quote:
DO NOT use kerosene, all it would take is a small electrical spark fron the pump to set off the kerosene,..very unsafe to use ANY Flammable substance in a parts washer.
Bruce is right I dont think I would use it in with conjunction with any electrical equipment period! I cant believe though that Bruce made no mention of purple power in his response. I myself buy the cleaner that is meant to be used with my chicago electric parts washer I got from Harbor Freight. I think it is like $8 at HF and that is enough to fill the whole thing. Semper Fi, John
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 AM
High Wheeler

I have red dyed diesel in my el-cheapo harbor freight parts washer. Not good for carbs or stuff you want clean and dry afterward, but for nasty greasy tractor parts, it works great. (I paid less than a dollar a gallon for it which tells you how long it has been in there) Diesel or kerosene are a lot less flammable than the old safety kleen solvents. For you guys worried about an electric pump being immersed in kerosene, what are your thoughts on in tank electric pumps for gasoline fuel injected cars?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Binder Driver

For those worried about flash point, ever flicked a match (or even a cigarette) at an open container of kerosene?

not that i'd suggest it, but i have (stupid kid stuff) on many occasions.... usually (as stated previously) you wont get anywhere near enough vapor to have a problem.

now try that with gasoline or white gas and see what happens!

i use kerosene or diesel to remove thick coats of grease, i just make sure to clean up real good (and fast) afterwards, it'll eat through most crap quicker than most solvents i've purchased
but then, its yer *****, so its yer choice
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Farmall Cub

castrol super clean!
works great, non-flammable or is it inflammable,
much better for your health
more expensive though
Danny
Old 11-07-2005, 11:33 AM
High Wheeler

Motor vehicle electric submersible fuel pumps, and parts cleaner circulation pumps ain't even on the same planet William! Only thing they have in common is they both "pump"!

Submersible fuel pumps, either pressure-type or delivery/transfer type, are designed to be used ONLY when submerged in a liquid fuel environment.

These cheeseball (but effective/affordable) parts washers nowadays (such as the Harbor Freight stuff) are designed with a pump rated ONLY for use with a "approved" water-base solvent concentrate.

The plastic housings on those watersolvent pumps will not hold up to petroleum-base solvents, once the housing melts/cracks/deforms/softens/etc., I don't wanna be around one with that stuff in it!

Once ANY parts washer has had nasty oily parts washed in it, the solvent can ignite/combust if conditions are right, even water-base stuff. That's why the motors/pumps are "ignition-protected" and the units have to be "certified" if commercial manufacture. They all incorporate some type of fusible link or such for lid closure in such an event.

The "safest" type of circulation pump in a parts washer is a pnuematic pump, which normally incorporates "agitation" also for extremely effective cleaning.

I have yet to see/use ANY water-base solvent that is as effective as Stoddard, mineral spirits, etc. for getting parts CLEAN and DRY if the solvent is changed on a regular basis, and the machine incoporates adequate filtration/recirculation. Unfortunately, due to the greenielobby's opposition to VolatileOrganicCompounds and the fact that anything effective has to carry a californicate cancercausin' warning, that stuff is history except in highdollar commercial cleaning environments.

Support: http://www.carbonbelchday.com/

Last edited by M. Mayben; 11-07-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Tags
body , brake , cap , case , diesel , electrical , ignition , oil , paint , parts , power , safety , top , tranny , water