Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

IH Sierra Fall Rallye

Old 06-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Scout 800A no gas feeding passenger tank

Hi, last year I bought a 1969 800A Scout. I really like it and am trying to make it a stock vehicle. When I bought it the pasenger gas tank would not feed gas. I took tank off, ( boy was that fun with rusted on bolts , I had to cut 2 off with a Saws-All ) cleaned tank and soaked feeding tube for several days in cleaner and got it totally cleared out. Then I installed a new fuel guage sending unit in tank. I then reinstalled the tank and hooked up gas line.

I drove to a gas station to fill this tank and give it a test. I put in about 6 gallons of gas and drove away. For some reason the sending unit is not reading very accurately ( it was brand new when I installed ) and I did a check on voltage with a light at end of wires before connecting and my light lit bareley and pulsated so I thought it would work fine. anyway with the 6 gallons in a 10 gallon tank you would expect it to read a least half full. Well it was reading about 1/4 tank at best.

Any ideas folks on why it is not indicating molre accurately???

One more issue is this SERIOUS problem . It only gets worse if you can believe it! Well after driving away from the gas station and taking the old guy for a spin I turned the fuel dial to begin feeding from the passenger tank . When I got home and parked in driveway the gas was streaming out of passenger tank area and appeaared to be from bottom of tank or perhaps the fuel line connector just ahead of tank maybe?? It really looked like under the tank area, I couldn't isolate it. So I quickly drained the entire tank with a large 6 gallon bucket ( by then several gallons had leaked out, boy then I had to listen to my wife when she got home!) . I was puzzled. So I removed tank the next day and everything appeared OK so I re-installed and poured the gas back in tank and presto no leaks. Why?? what magic did I do? Now this was later in year so the vechilce had about 5 gallons in passenger tank for about the next 4 months and when I drove it fed gas only from driver side tank. Then I decided to turn the fuel dial while driving and again try feeding from the passenger tank and OUCH! When I got home about 5 minutes later I had the same dilemma gas was again streaming from bottom area of passsenger tank and I could not isolate whether it was from tank ( it held gas with no leaks for about 4 months ) but how could that be? I drained the tank again and now am only using driver side tank.

Can anyone help?? Please? Why would the tank leak only after I started feeding from this tank? Sitting idle for 4 months no leaks. Is it in connecting tube ? I took it off several times and reassembled and it appears OK.

Any ideas???
Old 06-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Binder Driver

Default Re: Scout 800A no gas feeding passenger tank

I would offer that fuel is siphoning out, but I cannot figure out how that might be? Does your filler hose still have the vent on it? What I mean is the inside the fender well roughly 5/8 inch diameter hose that comes off of the 2-inch or so filler hose? It just seems as though you have a serious siphoning issue going on there and I am wondering what may be differnt on your vehicle. Although I cant mentally see how that would change the scenario. Actually the more i think about it... You have to have air coming in to allow the siphoning action, I think. So it is probably still there.

I am thinking the steel connecting fittings on the fuel line is leaking and you also have a siphoning scenario that starts the process going. How does that sound?

Chris
Old 06-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Farmall Cub

Thanks much for the input . Right now any is aprreciated as I am puzzled.

Yes the 5/8 inch vent tube is on filler tube as I did install a brand new filler tube hose as well. I already took off the steel connector line and put it back on and it is tight ????
Old 06-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Content Team

Send a message via Yahoo to rlireland

There are only three openings in the tank: the filler, the supply line to the engine and the fuel gauge. Why the gas would be contained in the tank for several months without problem and then start to leak is a mystery.
Can you try again and leave the cover off the gas tank cavity and try to see EXACTLY where the gas is leaking from? You didn't indavertently make a hole in the tank while you were sawing off the mounting bolts, did you?

Roy
My Photo Album of Scout 80s/800s
Old 06-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Binder Driver

Roy/Badgerwest,

My thought is this. The initial pumping (fuel pump) of that tank draws the fuel up the line and just past the bend where it begins its downward slide. Somwehere past that, there is a break in the line... thus a siphoning is started and when the engine is off the siphoning of the tank stays "on".

That is the only scenario I can think of to create the situation that is being described.

As for the gas gauge... I would be surprised to hear of one that actually worked as intended.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Content Team

Send a message via Yahoo to rlireland

I think Chris has the only plausible explanation for the problem. If there are no other breaks in the tank, and the gas stays in until suction is put on the feed line, then there must be a break or crack between the tank and the connector that goes to the selector valve (through the hole, just outside the tank cavity).
It would make sense that if the crack or hole is large enough, it would cause gas to run out and continue to siphon after suction was applied to the fuel line.

Roy
My Photo Album of Scout 80s/800s
Old 06-16-2005, 06:08 PM
High Wheeler

Can't say much about the leak, but you can "calibrate" the sending unit by bending the float arm just a tad, provided the float is new or not pitted and leaky. As the gauge reads low for 6 gallons, tweak the float down a bit for it to read higher. Put absolutely no stress on where the arm connects to the wiper for the sending unit's resistor. Bend carefully, and in increments 'till it's close to where you want it.

'56 S110 240 I6/4spd
'71 1210 345 V8/4spd 2WD
'67 Travelall BG246/4spd 2WD
Old 06-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Farmall Cub

Thanks all of you for the input. I will try to tweak the sending unit float as it is brand new last summer when I installed it.

I am "green" ( not good for a red IH guy ) on this stuff and appreciate the help.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Farmall Cub

How can I test fo a break or hole in the gas line between the selector valve and the tank ? Any ideas?

Do I just need to buy the materials and make a new one to match ? :
Old 06-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Farmall Cub

I'd agree with what the above stated that it has to be the fuel line itself. That is the only way to explain why the tank will hold gas but then leak once it pulls form the tank.

I have a 70 Scout and I had to re-do the fuel lines new sending units, new filters in the tanks, and new stainless fillers, all seemed great except passenger side where the fuel line comming out of the tank meets the line from selector valve it leaks at that brass connector. I finally gave up will try a professional shop to see if they can fix.

I'd suggest looking at that connection since the line from the tank comes out through a small hole in the sheet metal under the Scout and it just never lines up right to me. ??>???

Tags
engine , filter , idle , scout , scout 80 , start