Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 06-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Farmall Cub

Default Why would a drive shaft fall off?

Going down the highway my front drive shaft fell off. It came off at the point where it connects to the dana 18 transfer case. One of the U bolts had come off. It wasn't in 4 wheel drive though. The hubs weren't locked either. One question though is what is the proper orientation for the drive shaft is when putting it back on. U joints were the same on either side. Did I just not tighten the bolts enough? And where can you get a new one?
Thnks.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Lives in an IH Dealership

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff campbell
Default Re: Why would a drive shaft fall off?

shud be able to get new ubolts at the part store,need to put a level on the ujoints,an make sure they're perfectly aligned w/each other,jeff,prolly didn't have it tightened.?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:41 PM
High Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsDoner
Going down the highway my front drive shaft fell off. It came off at the point where it connects to the dana 18 transfer case. One of the U bolts had come off. It wasn't in 4 wheel drive though. The hubs weren't locked either. One question though is what is the proper orientation for the drive shaft is when putting it back on. U joints were the same on either side. Did I just not tighten the bolts enough? And where can you get a new one?
Thnks.
Howdy Neighbor! Welcome to the BB! So which highway was it? 41? 180? 99? 168? anyways, sounds like you just didnt have the u-bolts tight enough. you can get new u-joints and u-bolts at Bayshore trucking. Its on the corner of jensen and cherry. if you dont know where that is, head south on the 41 and get off at jensen, turn right, just over the overpass you will see a stop light with an AMPM on the corner, across the street is bayshore trucking. They carry everything you need, and have good prices. like jeff mentioned, you want the drive line perfectly lined up, in other words you want the slip shaft and the fixed yoke on the driveshaft to be in line with eachother. again welcome!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 PM

just in case you don't no what i was referring too,lay the d-shaft down on the ground & put a level,straight edge,board,what ever you have that is straight an aling the joint caps,center to center,must be perfect!jeff
Old 06-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Farmall Cub

Was going down 168 past FSU. 1st time I had to do some highway maintence. Thanks for all the info. Gonna recheck all the bolts on the shafts since I wasn't sure as to how far I should tighten them. I suppose it's the bearings in the Ujoints that roll, not the the heads in the ujoints. And thanks for the info on setup as well as the store.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Farmall Cub

Hi jeff campbell

shud be able to get new ubolts at the part store,need to put a level on the ujoints,an make sure they're perfectly aligned w/each other,jeff

referring too,lay the d-shaft down on the ground & put a level,straight edge,board,what ever you have that is straight an aling the joint caps,center to center

Don't give me wrong, but he says that the DS fell off - it didn't fell apart.
There is no need for lining up the U joints. Driveshafts did always come ligned up from factory. (some time pretty bad on scouts)

IMO it would be interesting to check the angles between output shaft x-fer case and input joke of front axle.

You might want to check that out.
...and some more...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:40 AM

i'm totally aware of that,but he still shud check it out before he re-installs it!to be absolute sure thet're even put together rite!measure twice an cut once!?jeff
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
High Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsDoner
Was going down 168 past FSU. 1st time I had to do some highway maintence. Thanks for all the info. Gonna recheck all the bolts on the shafts since I wasn't sure as to how far I should tighten them. I suppose it's the bearings in the Ujoints that roll, not the the heads in the ujoints. And thanks for the info on setup as well as the store.

ubolts want to be tight, the heads of the u-joints do not want to turn. The needle bearings inside are what do the turning. make sure you get enough grease in them. If you need help, let me know I am close enough and am willing.

Tags
axle , bearings , case , front , ground , part , roll