Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 06-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Diesel Herder / Moderator

Default HVLP Spray Gun

All,

I bought an HVLP spray gun the packaging says its from Gator Tools.

The packaging has this on it:
2 in 1 HVLP
Spray and Primer Gun with Regulator
Gravity type
600cc Cup
1.4 Nozzle
1/4" pipe inlet
Compresor required: 2 - 3 HP
Air consumption 1.6 - 4.0 CFM

GT7050

The Gun has H827W stamped in it and 45 psi max / 3 bar, so I think it might be a Hawk H827W HVLP spray gun.

Below are some pics of the packaging and the instructions.

Do you think I can spray with this gun with a compressor with just 4.0 CFM? In the instructions it says something about "air 4 consumption 12,3 CFM" (see the instruction pic).

Could I use this compressor and paint my scout with my HVLP gun.
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4794

Carey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HVLP Gun 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	11441   Click image for larger version

Name:	instructions.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	11442  

You're as cornfused as a cow on AstroTurf.

Last edited by CareyWeber; 06-14-2005 at 11:26 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-15-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: HVLP Spray Gun

If your compressor has a tank than consumption won't matter until you drain the tank down. than your out put will be limited by the compressor it's self.

You don't plan on holding the trigger down wide open continuously while painting do you?

If not then you should have no problem.

Now if you don't have a tank...get an old propane bottle and buy the conversion kit and make one!!! Cheap, easy air tank!!

Click a link below that meets your needs! Either DIY or let me help.

COMMITED TO HELPING PEOPLE "PROPERLY" INSTALL EFI
Learn to do it right.

May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!

WANTED-Holley Distributor
Old 06-15-2005, 10:16 AM
High Wheeler

You would have to spray, then wait for the tank to fill. Compressor would run constantly and you would have a lot of water to deal with. My compressor does 18cfm @150psi with a 5hp 240 motor on a 120 gallon tank and while spraying it runs quite a bit.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 AM
High Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin
You would have to spray, then wait for the tank to fill. Compressor would run constantly and you would have a lot of water to deal with. My compressor does 18cfm @150psi with a 5hp 240 motor on a 120 gallon tank and while spraying it runs quite a bit.
Are you using an HVLP gun?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin
Would work for just one paint job?????

Carey

Old 06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
High Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyWeber
Would work for just one paint job?????

Carey
Carey-
That hvlp sprayer is gonna do the trick for you.
The whole deal is to put it all together and make the paint come out right.
LOTS of pressure never hurts, and control air flow @ the gun.
I run both a small 3 to 4 cfm and a 7 or so cfm and either works great.
I now have a water seperator on a 100 or so gallon tank and that works well.
I can easily run a sprayer like yours using only the 7 cfm and the 100 gal tank.
I used to run my sprayer with just the 3-4 cfm with its 4 or so gal tank and never had a prob. Of course I sprayed as Bill USN1 suggests, without holding the trigger continuously.
The main thing is to lay on that paint in a nice, even layer and that can be no easy chore if your paint isn't coming out of the sprayer right.
Take a piece of sheetrock or plywood and give yourself a lesson in the operation of that gun ya got.
Watch in particular the shape of the spray's discharge. Is it coming out in a fan or a little circle? You can control the amount of paint/air/and pattern with the little knobs on the gun. Figure it out b4 you go and paint the truck.
A conventional sprayer or even a cup gun works good too.
But the conventional really does take LOTS of power to run and the cup gun is pretty bulky to get in tight. That little sprayer of yours would be better if you could fit the paint inlet on the gun with a hose running to a cup on a stick much like an I.V. then you could turn the gun any which way and have a real ball!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
Carey-
That hvlp sprayer is gonna do the trick for you.
The whole deal is to put it all together and make the paint come out right.
LOTS of pressure never hurts, and control air flow @ the gun.
I run both a small 3 to 4 cfm and a 7 or so cfm and either works great.
I now have a water seperator on a 100 or so gallon tank and that works well.
I can easily run a sprayer like yours using only the 7 cfm and the 100 gal tank.
I used to run my sprayer with just the 3-4 cfm with its 4 or so gal tank and never had a prob. Of course I sprayed as Bill USN1 suggests, without holding the trigger continuously.
The main thing is to lay on that paint in a nice, even layer and that can be no easy chore if your paint isn't coming out of the sprayer right.
Take a piece of sheetrock or plywood and give yourself a lesson in the operation of that gun ya got.
Watch in particular the shape of the spray's discharge. Is it coming out in a fan or a little circle? You can control the amount of paint/air/and pattern with the little knobs on the gun. Figure it out b4 you go and paint the truck.
A conventional sprayer or even a cup gun works good too.
But the conventional really does take LOTS of power to run and the cup gun is pretty bulky to get in tight. That little sprayer of yours would be better if you could fit the paint inlet on the gun with a hose running to a cup on a stick much like an I.V. then you could turn the gun any which way and have a real ball!
Lava,

Thanks

I really want to try to get some paint on my Scout so it looks better even if its a 10' paint job.

Carey

Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

(H)igh (V)olume (L)ow (P)ressure.

You can use a standard ol' 25 gallon compressor with one of those. Heck, Eastwood sells a version of an HVLP gun that has it's own compressor attached to a hose. The thing is about the size of a suitcase.

As long as you meet the HP and CFM requirements, an HVLP gun is easier than the old high pressure stuff ever was.

Binderin',

John

Click here to visit the IH Knowledge Base
Old 06-16-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Donnelly
(H)igh (V)olume (L)ow (P)ressure.

You can use a standard ol' 25 gallon compressor with one of those. Heck, Eastwood sells a version of an HVLP gun that has it's own compressor attached to a hose. The thing is about the size of a suitcase.

As long as you meet the HP and CFM requirements, an HVLP gun is easier than the old high pressure stuff ever was.

Binderin',

John
How low of a psi can a guy run a HVLP gun: 40psi, 30psi, 20psi, or 10psi?

Carey

Old 06-17-2005, 08:03 PM
High Wheeler

My HVLP has a regulator at the gun which I set to 20psi. On my old regular gun I used a regulator at the tank set for 40. I sprayed the epoxy primer on my Scout today. With a 1.7 nozzle it took 2 fills of the gun to "get er done". It took about an hour and my big compressor was cutting on about every 5 minutes. I had about a 1/4 inch of water in the separator when I was done even though I had the A/C on in the shop to cut the humidity. Tomorrow morning I'm going for the finish coat. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Tags
100 , bar , binderplanet , cable , case , conversion , fluid , orange , paint , panel , parts , pictures , power , rust , scout , top , truck , water