Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 09-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Farmall Cub

Default Torque Converter Good or Bad. How to tell?

I've got two torque converters out of my 727's. How can I tell which one to use when I reasemble?

'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Family Daily Driver (For Now)
Old 09-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Re: Torque Converter Good or Bad. How to tell?

Use the one that you just bought for $75 to save you from having to tear it all apart again.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fred
Use the one that you just bought for $75 to save you from having to tear it all apart again.
How do you know I just got a used tranny with one?? I just want to make sure its good before I throw it in.

'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 09-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Farmall Cub

What I'm saying is that it's worth $75 to know that you won't have to pull the tranny again to replace it. $75 is about what it costs for a NEW converter.

I don't know of a DIY way to tell, without installing it in the vehicle. I suppose you could use something like a bore-scope to look inside at the wear on the vanes of the turbine, but I've never tried.

A tranny shop with the right equipment can test it for you, but it would probably cost half the price of a new one for the test.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Farmall Cub

OK. It was funny you said that, because I just bought a used tranny with a TC for $75. The tranny is good to go, I just don't want to have to worry about switching the TC out later. If they're only $75, I'll just buy another one. Know of any good sources for rebuilts?

'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 09-10-2004, 03:40 PM
High Wheeler

If the fluid hasn't burnt or you see junk or shavings in it, I'd just flush it out and give it a try. Here's why. Last year I had the TH200 in my son's '79 Pontiac rebuilt, and I discussed this issue with the owner of the shop. He only puts in rebuilt TCs if the owner insists, or springs for a NEW one. In his experience, the failure rate (and I've seen documented elsewhere) of rebuilt TCs is about 20%. That's pretty high. He also has one of the few TC flushing machines left, and claims that unless the unit has been abused or shows signs of ballooning, etc., they last a whole lot longer than many would lead you to believe. He just flushes them out clean. I've run that Pontiac for over a year now with no problems, and just recently got back from driving it on a roadtrip to the Midwest.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:04 AM
Super Mod from Downunder

Send a message via MSN to Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Send a message via Yahoo to Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

if you are going to spring for a reco convertor and you have a standard engine 345 or bigger i would seriously consider getting a convertor with a lower stall speed - if a IHC v8 doesn't rev as hard as 350 chev or 318 chrysler why would you run the same convertor stall speed! a friend of mine has recently fitted a low stall to his traveler 345 and has reported a massive improvement in power to the ground, now he cannot hold the scout with the brakes when he trys to stall the convertor, whereas before he could easily hold the scout in place. i will be fitting a low stall to my terra project as it comes together.

If you can work out the time difference, call me +61 0417 322 707 GMT + 11 hours!
Old 09-11-2004, 06:12 AM
Y-Block King

i'm with paul, more grunt is always good! there was a thread sometime back about someone using an RV type converter with a very low stall speed. good news all the way around.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Farmall Cub

I did put an RV cam in the engine ($1800 into the rebuild, ugh) and I also put an RV shift kit into the 727, so I might as well get an RV torque converter.

'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 09-11-2004, 08:31 PM
High Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to Munchies

If I were buying a brand new converter today, it would be a slioghtly higher stall converter from b&m. Like their truck/rv converter. Super high quality.

Tags
345 , 800 , brakes , cam , engine , fluid , ground , power , project , pulling , racing , rebuild , scout , terra , tranny , truck