Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 02-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Where to hook up mechanical water temp gauge?

Ok, I am having a hard time trying to find a place to install a mechanical temp gauge on the engine (392), the hole for the stock electric sending unit is way too small. I am just wondering where everybody else has put them, I'm sure there has to be a few people with mechanical guages. If anybody knows of a brand of gauge that fits into any of the factory holes on the engine, that would be great, because I really do not want to pull the intake manifold off to drill and tap a larger hole. Thanks...
Old 02-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Binder Driver

Default Re: Where to hook up mechanical water temp gauge?

are you sure? have installed several mechanical guages on 152,196 and 345 motors and all have fit hole where electrical guage use to be.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Farmall Cub

Send a message via AIM to Drive A Scout

on mine, the gauge kit came with a set of adapters for the sending unit. theyre just brass adapters. im sure you can find em at any good hardware store.

"That's not rust, those are vents for the summer!"
Old 02-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Farmall Cub

I think he's saying the hole for the stock sending unit/thermistor is tiny compared to the new mechanical sender bulb.

Should be able to find a water plug somewhere. Might break stuff trying to get it off too.

Water neck: You should get "normal" readings here.

Water passage on the head: These readings can be hotter or colder depending on how close the passage is to the water pump. The closer the colder the reading, and the further the hotter the reading.

I have two gauges installed on my Chevelle and I commonlly see differences of 10-30 degrees hotter at the head than at the water neck. My reasoning is cause of the heat soaked cast iron heads.

Good luck.

1975 Scout II XLC 304 - 2 Brl - Factory Dual Exhaust
T-19 Wide Ratio/Dana 20/Dana 44's 3.54 trac lock
Rancho 2.5" lift

1968 SS396 Chevelle 11:1 408 Big Block
M-21 Muncie 4 Speed Close Ratio
3.73 Posi
Old 02-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Doug Shailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlb3
Ok, I am having a hard time trying to find a place to install a mechanical temp gauge on the engine (392), the hole for the stock electric sending unit is way too small. I am just wondering where everybody else has put them, I'm sure there has to be a few people with mechanical guages. If anybody knows of a brand of gauge that fits into any of the factory holes on the engine, that would be great, because I really do not want to pull the intake manifold off to drill and tap a larger hole. Thanks...
`

Les,

I have yet to see a mechanical sender that will fit in that 1/8"-18 NPT holes. There was a thread on this subject sometime in the last 2-3 months. You might try a search to see what other guys have done.

I put mine in the T-stat housing:

I had to install an adapter so the end of the probe didn't touch the bypass baffle inside the housing. I have seen a lot of them installed in this place.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Super Mod from Downunder

Send a message via MSN to Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Send a message via Yahoo to Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

on one of my scouts i fitted a mechanical temp gauge by fitting a plumbing 'tee' peice on to the manifold where the heater hose gets its supply from, behind the carburettor. works well and is in the hottest area of the engine. that way i still have the std electrical gauge connected as well!

If you can work out the time difference, call me +61 0417 322 707 GMT + 11 hours!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Shailor
`

Les,

I have yet to see a mechanical sender that will fit in that 1/8"-18 NPT holes. There was a thread on this subject sometime in the last 2-3 months. You might try a search to see what other guys have done.

I put mine in the T-stat housing:

I had to install an adapter so the end of the probe didn't touch the bypass baffle inside the housing. I have seen a lot of them installed in this place.
Thanks for the pic Doug! I searched before I posted and didn't come up with a whole lot, I will try again though. Thats actually where I was thinking about putting it. I had a thought, not sure if it would work though, but drill a hole just big enough for the probe to fit in, then weld a nut to the thermostat housing for the fittings to screw into. I do like misterfixit's idea too, it seems a little easier, I will have to take a look around and see what will work the best. Thanks everybody!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I do like misterfixit's idea too, it seems a little easier,
You can also do that with any of the ports the vaccuum switches are screwed into, or just put it in place of the vacuum switch if you don't use it anyhow.

If you don't know, the vacuum switches are the ones with the 3 ports stacked on top of them which may or may not have vacuum hoses attached.

HTH.

www.redstate.com

Buy my wife's book (so I can buy more IH trucks! )
Old 02-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Doug Shailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Marsh
You can also do that with any of the ports the vaccuum switches are screwed into, or just put it in place of the vacuum switch if you don't use it anyhow.

If you don't know, the vacuum switches are the ones with the 3 ports stacked on top of them which may or may not have vacuum hoses attached.

HTH.
Will makes a good point. Only some of the vacuum switches have 2 ports.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
...but drill a hole just big enough for the probe to fit in, then weld a nut to the thermostat housing for the fittings to screw into. ...
Instead of a nut, you should use a pipe fitting (cut to size (length)). Nuts have a running thread & will not make a seal (& probably not fit your sending unit/adapter). A pipe fitting is NPT tapered thread, made to make a seal.
-Steve

Tags
345 , adapter , aftermarket , bulb , carb , electrical , engine , gauges , plug , start , t-stat , temp gauge , thermostat , top , water