Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > Special Interest Groups > Diesel Tech

Old 10-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Fuel Consumption at idle gph

Anyone know what the fuel consumption of an SD33t at idle is? I'm thinking of adding an inverter to power a couple of lights or maybe a small electric heater at the hunting camp. Kicking around idea of leaving the scout idle when the power is needed. Still in the half baked idea stage.

My scout has a larger GM 85 amp alternator and a pair if group 31 batteries rated at 950 CCA each, andi have deleted the factory AMP guage.

Ant one fool around with this concept?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Binder Driver

Default Re: Fuel Consumption at idle gph

I would leave it as a half baked idea. unless your sitting in the Scout see you can seethe temp gauge and oil pressure gauge this is not a good idea.

Your inverter will never power an electric heater, if you really want power that badly then buy a generator.

Really a heater at hunting camp?
1972 Travelall 6.9 powered

Last edited by blue smoke; 10-29-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Farmall Cub

Temps at an idle shouldn't be a problem. Your diesel shouldn't make much heat at idle. I have never messed with inverters but I would agree with blue smoke that an inverter powered heater wouldn't work very well. If you spend much time at your hunting camp you would probably be better off with a generator of some sorts. Cold weather camping gear is cheaper than generators and if you could find an inverter rated high enough it would be very expensive. Just my 2 cents worth. I like your double 31's and high output alt for power though.

1980-Scout II Rallye
SD33T, T19, Dana 300
4" lift, D44's, locked
2.5" exhaust, 3" intake
lots of other stuff

"They made farm equipment too, you know" ---a friend
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Farmall Cub

Let's see, 85 x 14 = 1200 Watts. Not much of a heater for more than a small room.

That's at 100% output. What engine speed does that take?

Then there's the noise.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
Let's see, 85 x 14 = 1200 Watts. Not much of a heater for more than a small room.

That's at 100% output. What engine speed does that take?

Then there's the noise.
It is a small room and doesn't take much and having lived in WI for the first forty years I enjoy Carolina cold weather and like the fact the heat is a good thing. A 5500 wtt generator puts out 102 d and burns 5 gallons of gas over night. An idling scout is much quieter and with a good sized inverter may work. Just want to look at the fuel side of the equation.

On another note, it's great to have to run AC during part of deer season down here a concept that was unthinkable up north.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Farmall Cub

I dont think normal idle for long periods is a good idea, the engine in cold weather may not make enough heat to properly burn all the fuel. I think it would need to be set up to high idle. There are inverters that will do what you want but they are very expensive, not to mention wear and tear on an engine that is already hard to get parts for.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM
High Wheeler

Big rigs idle for long periods of time, SD the same, just smaller. I've seen small PTO generators for tractors, don't know the $$$ or the complexity of hooking it up on the Scout, just a thought.
For a small quiet stand alone generator, can't beat a Honda 1000, and easy on fuel.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Big rigs idle for long periods of time, SD the same, just smaller. I've seen small PTO generators for tractors, don't know the $$$ or the complexity of hooking it up on the Scout, just a thought.
For a small quiet stand alone generator, can't beat a Honda 1000, and easy on fuel.
I agree those Hondas are very quiet and nice.

Todd

1980-Scout II Rallye
SD33T, T19, Dana 300
4" lift, D44's, locked
2.5" exhaust, 3" intake
lots of other stuff

"They made farm equipment too, you know" ---a friend
Old 10-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Farmall Cub

Good topic, never occurred to me to rig up the Scout with high power source. I normally lug a heavy gas generator to charge my battery and run power to small appliances on my pop-up (RV) tent trialer.

I just saw this listing for an inverter you can connect to your battery on the vehicle to run upto 1000w, with 110-120v power outlets. Since I already have a 110-120v to 30Amp adapter to power the trailer. I'm asking the same question, is it better to just use my engine as a power back-up to the inverter or lug an 80lb. generator around?

I like the idea, the only thing is takes a 12volt battery to run the unit. I suppose even your stock alternator is good enough to maintain your batteries and inverter with power.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SLDDHQ/...SIN=B007SLDDHQ

I may just order me one of these.

1980 Scout II Diesel SD33T, T19/D300
1980 Scout II Diesel SD33T Rallye, T19/D300
2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Ltd. 4x4
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 AM
Farmall Cub

Semi trucks have high idle switches.

1000w @ 120v is arround 8 amps. That may run a few lights, not heaters, a/c, or microwave.

Tags
1200 , alternator , build , diesel , electric , engine , find , fuel , gauge , gear , generator , group , heater , hunting , idle , lights , oil , power , problem , scout , sd33 , sd33t , temp gauge , work , worth