Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 09-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Scout II Rallye wheels?

I have a set of four really nice chrome Rallye wheels. I have had them for a while and plan to put them on my Scout II when I restore it. The guy I bought them from said they are Scout II wheels. I was cleaning them up today and noticed a stamp on one of the wheels that says 2-27-70. If that is the date of manufacture, how can they be for a Scout II? The photos of Scout II wheels I have seen are identical to mine. I guess I want to know if mine are for a Scout II or an 800. I have nice centers for them too.

S.H.A.F.T.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Re: Scout II Rallye wheels?

Hi..

IH did not manufacture wheels. They just bought wheels from the wheel manufacturers. Likely your wheels were also used perhaps on other IH models or by some other auto manufacturer or even as after market wheels before IH opted to use them on the Scout II.

Myron B
Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Best case scenario is that they are Scout 800 rally wheels, they're worth a lot more money than Scout II wheels. What I would do first is mount one the front of the Scout II and make sure it will clear the disc brake assembly. If they are in fact Scout 800 wheels, they're made to fit with drum brakes and may not clear the calipers on Scout II discs. If that's the case, then you can't use them anyway, sell them to an 800 restorer that needs a set of original wheels. It's hard to tell them apart, the wheels do look pretty much identical.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Farmall Cub

Do a search on here. This has been covered in the past with good photos to compare to. There is a slight difference between the two. The date stamp is correct for an 800 wheel. Motor wheel was the manufacturer of the wheels, in fact i have an old off road magazine from the early 70's that has an add from motor wheel for those exact chrome wheels in it. Looks like you could purchase the same wheel aftermarket in a variety of bolt pattern even.

Nick
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Farmall Cub

I rememberr reading an old post and someone described exactly how to tell the difference between the 800 and the Scout II wheels. Darn if I can find it though. Anybody remember the post I'm talking about? Your right, trying to mount one up on the front would tell me for sure. My situation does not make that easy however.

Back to the search button......

S.H.A.F.T.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 PM
High Wheeler

Actually both the Scout 800 Rallye wheel, and the Scout-II Rallye wheel will bolt up to Scout-II disc brakes.
Here is a picture of the Scout 800 Rallye Wheel which has a smooth curve. The Scout-II wheel has a more pronounced brow, like a GM Rallye wheel.
Hth,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800-Rallye-Wheels-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	82157   Click image for larger version

Name:	800-Rallye-Wheels-1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	82158  

August 2012, "the build" begins...
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
High Wheeler

Here is a picture of the "brow" on a Scout-II Rallye wheel. Both wheels are mounted on the same 1976 Scout-II axle with disc brakes.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout-II-Rallye-Wheels-1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	82159  
Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Farmall Cub

Commanche Scott, your the man. Based on your pictures I am pretty darn sure I DO have Scout II Rallye wheels. The differences are subtle going by pictures only. BUT, if they are 800 wheels and will still bolt up, I'm fine with that. These wheels are in super nice condition and if they fit then they are going on. I think the Rallye wheels look sweet. I just finished more searching and I still can't find the post with pictures the other poster mentioned. I know the post he is referring to, just can't find it. Thanks again all.

S.H.A.F.T.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Lives in an IH Dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Rayer View Post
Do a search on here. This has been covered in the past with good photos to compare to. There is a slight difference between the two. The date stamp is correct for an 800 wheel. Motor wheel was the manufacturer of the wheels, in fact i have an old off road magazine from the early 70's that has an add from motor wheel for those exact chrome wheels in it. Looks like you could purchase the same wheel aftermarket in a variety of bolt pattern even.

Nick
That is the first I've heard of Motor Wheel as the ones I have are stamped with KH representing Kelsey-Hayes, though they did also sell wheels under the Western Wheels brand in the 70's so maybe Motor Wheel was one of their other aftermarket brand names.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Farmall Cub

I googled both companies and got quite the history lesson. Pretty cool. Had no idea my question would teach me so much. Thanks again fellas.

S.H.A.F.T.

Tags
800 , aftermarket , amp , axle , brake , brakes , case , chrome , disc , disc brake , drum , front , mount , original , photos , pictures , rallye , restore , scout , scout 80 , scout 800 , scout ii , wheels , worth