Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Facebook Twitter Banner

Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Farmall Cub

Default New Member Intro: 1979 Scout II

I have been a member for a few months now and finally found a Scout II.

It is a 1979 With the 345, thermoquad, 727, Dana 20. Dana 44s with 3.73 gears. It has a single exhaust exiting in a downward angle on the driver side with a catalytic converter. No rust...very solid including what looks to be original body mounts. It has cruise control and air conditioning. The interior is russet plaid. It is prettying all stock except it has been repainted. I think it was originally brown. The distributor is a prestolite but I'm not sure yet which one...there is a field fix sticker under the hood saying the distributor has been changed and to set timing at 7.5* btdc.

It has the typical problems I have read about in my mad searching for the past 2 months: Fuel gauge doesn't work. Temp gauge works but reads low, oil gauge only registers in the bottom 1/4 of the gauge. Speedo doesn't move.

The carb needs a tune, it seems to run rich at idle based in the smell and it does do the random smoke puff on startup...maybe more so when parked on the street with the passenger side lower than the driver side.

So if you don't mind if like to ask some questions:

1. The accelerator pedal seems stiff to operate. When throttle is actuated at the carb it is smooth and easy. Other than lubing and inspecting the accelerator pedal cable any tips?

2. With a proper tune on the carb will it be relatively smell free? The engine was 125 psi across on the compression test. I do not do a leak down. It runs great and shifts well. The idle may be a bit high on the warmup and a bit low after warmed up. Are those both adjustable? The blip of the throttle will idle it down on a cold start so I think the pull offs are working...

3. Are the brakes normally boosted well? Seems my pedal requires some effort to stop. When the engine is off the pedal is hard. I will check the booster...anything else?

Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Farmall Cub

Default Re: New Member Intro: 1979 Scout II

Welcome. It sounds like to have a really nice Scout. Rust free are seldom used words in the Scout hobby.

1. The accelerator pedal seems stiff to operate. When throttle is actuated at the carb it is smooth and easy. Other than lubing and inspecting the accelerator pedal cable any tips?

I haven't run into this problem. Use the search function and I bet somebody has had the same issue.

2. With a proper tune on the carb will it be relatively smell free? The engine was 125 psi across on the compression test. I do not do a leak down. It runs great and shifts well. The idle may be a bit high on the warmup and a bit low after warmed up. Are those both adjustable? The blip of the throttle will idle it down on a cold start so I think the pull offs are working...

You can adjust both the cold and warm idle. With a stock exhaust and a cat converter, the exhaust should be fairly smell free. Is the air pump still installed?

3. Are the brakes normally boosted well? Seems my pedal requires some effort to stop. When the engine is off the pedal is hard. I will check the booster...anything else?

Booster failure is a common problem. The brakes should not require much effort to apply if everything is working correctly.
'79 Scout II, 345, Auto, Persimmon
'80 Scout II, 304, 4-speed, Black Canyon Black with Green/Blue Spear
'80 Scout II CVI Classic, 345, Auto, Green Metallic
Old 12-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Farmall Cub

Added some pics...iPhone is not the easiest to use with pic hosting sites.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 PM
High Wheeler

Awesome Scout!
Merry Christmas to you!
The wheels, tires and sliding windows are (IMO) perfect.

I'll second what Binder Brothers said, and also suggest that a low idle / rich condition will cause low vacuum, so the brake booster won't function as well.

Congratulations on scoring your Scout-II. They are a heck of a lot of fun!
Looking forward to reading some "trip reports".

August 2012, "the build" begins...
Old 12-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Farmall Cub

Yes it still does have the air pump.

Thanks for the kind replies guys. I will post more pics as I fiddle with it and get things working again.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Farmall Cub

Is the gas pedal "stiff" in both directions or only "stiff" to press down with a quick return? Post up a pic of the throttle linkage to the carb and the experts on here will let you know if all is well.

If the "stiffness" is only while pressing down, it may just be a very stiff throttle spring which is an easy change. If it moves slowly in both directions then you need to dig further.

Great looking Scout! Good luck with your fine tuning.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Farmall Cub

Send a message via Skype™ to Scoutboy55

Wow dude, that's a great looking rig. My '79 is much more "used" than yours!
Pop the throttle cable off the carb and see if it moves freely in the cable/pedal assy.
You can also experiment with various return springs on the carb. Just use two. You don't want to floor it one day and have it keep racing away when you let off (don't ask).

There are also some other boards to frequent to add to your knowledge base:

IH Parts America (formerly IHonly North) is up in NorCal. They sell parts and have a great forum for problem solving. Good guys like they have here.

Scoutswest is the other one. A localized forum in SoCal. They have meetings one a month and seem to be a really solid community. Work keeps me from making any meetings, but I try to stay in touch.

Keep the pics coming. Not often you see such a cool original rig. Best of luck!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Farmall Cub

One heck of a nice looking scout.

My 79 suffered the same brake booster problems. Swapped out the vac booster for hydroboost and couldn't be happier. Hands down the best upgrade to my scout. Plenty of posts on how to install.

Good luck with your new scout
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Binder Driver

Send a message via MSN to dkterra

Nice and clean looking scout!
1950 IH fridge
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Farmall Cub

Nice Scout but, as for fun the two P cars in your garage should do. One appears to be a turbo as well but, maybe just a body kit as it is debaged.
I've got a 79 with the same interior and options and was originally a CA car.

Tags
1979 scout ii , 345 , 727 , body , booster , brakes , cable , carb , compression , distributor , engine , exhaust , hose , idle , mounts , oil , rich , rust , scout , scout ii , temp gauge , test , thermoquad , throttle , timing