Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Facebook Twitter Banner

Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Binder Driver

Default Drum to disc brake conversion OPEN KNUCKLE Dana 44.

Here is what I have gleaned about this conversion from the power of the interweb.

To change from drums to discs on my 1973 open knuckle half-ton Dana 44, I can use Chevy backing plates and calipers, a Scout II rotor, and a Ford F-150 hub. This will allow me to use the stock stub shafts and spindles.

I can also use Chevy spindles and stub shafts and a F-150 rotor.

I could swap out my front axle for a Dodge Dana 44 with the correct bolt pattern.

I could swap in a Chevy front axle and use F-150 hubs and rotors to give it the correct 5 lug bolt pattern.

All Chevy parts must be the older, small bearing style.

Jeff Jamison and Tom Mandera, does all this sound correct? Most of my info comes from your posts.

Thanks

Dave
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Y-Block King

Default Re: Drum to disc brake conversion OPEN KNUCKLE Dana 44.

Yes thats what I have on my 73 travelall for a few years now,and over 20,000 miles.You will have to slightly machine the ford hub for the scout rotor(I used a brake drum lathe,when you try to put the scout rotor on you will see what needs machined)I did have one set of pads that wouldnt fit,could have sanded them down,just bought a different brand.
But all the options you have will work,just make sure you change the master cylinder(74 travelall or 73 2 wheel drive that had disc brakes)and replace your brake distribution block with a porportioning valve(I used a scout one)
Jeff
Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Farmall Cub

For a novice like myself, what depicts an Open Knuckle from one that is not open?...and is there specific years and front axles that the Open Knuckles are on?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Binder Driver

You can see the axle shaft u-joints on an open knuckle front axle. Closed knuckle just has a ball, the entire axle shaft is enclosed, including the joint. In the full-size IH trucks, anything before 1970 has closed knuckles, as with most IH products, there seems to be no hard and fast cut off year.

Dave
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNL View Post
You can see the axle shaft u-joints on an open knuckle front axle. Closed knuckle just has a ball, the entire axle shaft is enclosed, including the joint. In the full-size IH trucks, anything before 1970 has closed knuckles, as with most IH products, there seems to be no hard and fast cut off year.

Dave
Ok, thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Farmall Cub

Do you have years at all for the parts? I am looking to do the same swap, and am going to the local U-Pull-it tomorrow morning to look for parts. I have a 78 Dana 44 with drums on all 4 corners.

I am looking to do this option :To change from drums to discs on my 1973 open knuckle half-ton Dana 44, I can use Chevy backing plates and calipers, a Scout II rotor, and a Ford F-150 hub. This will allow me to use the stock stub shafts and spindles.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Binder Driver

If you have a Scout II, you need different parts than what I used, I think. I don't think your spindles have 6 bolts like the truck Dana 44. Do a search on here, look for posts by Jeff Jamison and Tom Mandera. Search "Drum to disc conversion Scout".

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Y-Block King

If you are doing it on a scout with drums,you do need different parts,all you need is the parts off of a disc brake scout,it will all bolt on,I would grab the knuckles out and put new ball joints in
Jeff
Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Farmall Cub

what I used was 74 chevy 4x4 full circle backing plates, big bearing spindles and bearings, and calipers. and 74 chevy 2 wheel drive brake hoses cause they're longer. then 84 ford bronco hubs and rotors I also used a 74 scout master and prop valve. Ed
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Farmall Cub

anyone know if I get a whole Heep Wagoneer Dana 44, will the parts swap over? I seem to be really bad with the search function, I cant find much, sorry

Tags
1973 , axle , brake , brake conversion , brakes , chevy , conversion , dana 44 , disc , disc brake , drum , drums , ford , front , hub , info , parts , power , scout , scout ii , sound , swap , travelall , truck