Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Facebook Twitter Banner

Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Farmall Cub

Default Oil blowing out of dipstick tube

I recently installed a 345 in my terra. It runs good and has good oil pressure, but for some reason it is blowing oil out of the dipstick tube. That makes me think that i dont have enough crankcase ventilation. I have the pcv valve on the valley pan and that is all.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

78 Terra, 345 w/ cam and headers, t-19, D-20, Lincoln locked 44's, 33x12.5 BFG's, Cage and rock sliders
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Default Re: Oil blowing out of dipstick tube

dont have any crankcase ventilation.
pcv aint working
too much blowby
no air getting in
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Farmall Cub

Quote:
no air getting in
What exactly do you mean?

My old 196 had an oil fill cap with a nipple for a breather hose, is that something that i should be running on the 345?

78 Terra, 345 w/ cam and headers, t-19, D-20, Lincoln locked 44's, 33x12.5 BFG's, Cage and rock sliders
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Y-Block King

Send a message via Yahoo to scoutboy74

If the pcv rattles when you shake it, then it's working. You need a breather. This can be accomplished in several ways. One is it to replace your oil fill cap with a breather cap. Your passenger side valve cover should have a bung fitting that would have originally been fitted with a thread in spark arrest/breather that is similar in appearance to a pcv, but has steel wool inside rather than a rattle ball. A hose would run from one end of that to the air filter canister. Perhaps that plumbing has been discarded and the hole in your valve cover blocked off. If that's the case, what you can do to restore that function is get a short length of brass pipe threaded on at least one end that will thread into the bung. Then buy a motorcycle style air breather which is basically a shrunken air filter and attach it to the other end of the pipe.
& Rehabilitation
SHOP NORTH

Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF 727/D20/3.73 D44 FA + Spartan/Trac-lok RA/4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g-fuel
Mongo - '71 1210 Reg Cab 2wd - 345/TF 727/RA 17 4.10 Trac-lok D60 - "Mongo love candy!"
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Content Team

A compression test will tell you something about your rings.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 PM
High Wheeler

Send a message via ICQ to IHWILD Send a message via AIM to IHWILD Send a message via Yahoo to IHWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
If the pcv rattles when you shake it, then it's working. You need a breather. This can be accomplished in several ways. One is it to replace your oil fill cap with a breather cap. Your passenger side valve cover should have a bung fitting that would have originally been fitted with a thread in spark arrest/breather that is similar in appearance to a pcv, but has steel wool inside rather than a rattle ball. A hose would run from one end of that to the air filter canister. Perhaps that plumbing has been discarded and the hole in your valve cover blocked off. If that's the case, what you can do to restore that function is get a short length of brass pipe threaded on at least one end that will thread into the bung. Then buy a motorcycle style air breather which is basically a shrunken air filter and attach it to the other end of the pipe.
Just because your pcv valve is rattling doesnt mean your pcv system is working. Make sure the vacuum line going to the valve has good strong vacuum on it. The breather is to let air in not out. My truck had a clogged pcv line and it blew oil out of the breather into the air cleaner. Cleaned out the blockage and problem went away. Though if it doesnt then i would check the rings as mentioned.

HTH
Rich
1979 Scout II 345 Auto 4X4 2in skyjacker, 2in body, 31X10.5X15, Rollcage, rattle can paint. Also roughly 13 other Scouts, 1 Travelall at my dad's some for restoration, some for parts hehe others ummm.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Farmall Cub

so if i hook up the pcv hose directly to the manifold vacuum, the engine will barely run. do I need a restricor pill in the line?

Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM
High Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBend View Post
so if i hook up the pcv hose directly to the manifold vacuum, the engine will barely run. do I need a restricor pill in the line?

Have you tired hooking it up? At idle the vac should be at max. How about adjusting the idle screw on the carb to try and even it out?
Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Dreams of Cub Cadets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBend View Post
---Are you asking if you can run the vehicle with no PCV valve? If so, the answer is no. Same applies with the Flame Arrestor. Believe it or not, the engine was designed to run with both installed, both are available, and while some feel they can overlook the possibility, if a PCV Valve is installed where a flame arrestor should be, it will* cause undue crankcase pressure... like you're describing.

---As mentioned, your engine requires two things. The PCV Valve on one end and the flame arrestor on the other. The flame arrestor has been described as the PVC-looking component threaded into the front, top of the driver side valve cover (sometimes mistakenly installed by a PO in the passenger side, so it could be at the rear, top passenger side). It has a steel mesh interior rather than a pintle and air passes through it, with a good amount of restriction, so flame can be broken down, if not eliminated, preventing ignition of crankcase vapors. The PCV Valve will only allow air to pass through in one direction... engine side out. It should* rattle if clean. If plugged, it will not. If it doesn't rattle (what was meant when it was mentioned), it can be cleaned. Soak it in carb cleaner/acetone, then after soaking, you plug one end, fill it half way or so with carb cleaner, plug the other end and rapidly shake it, rinse, allow to dry and install if it rattles. The rattling sound is the internal part, called a "pintle".

---Also as mentioned, your rings could be damaged. If your carburetor has oil around the top or if oil is found in the air cleaner housing, chances are extremely high that you need rings. Check compression.

---However, if you have no* PCV Valve, that's the problem. That considered, if you don't have a grommet in the Valley Pan for the PCV Valve and your engine requires an in-line PCV Valve, just remember that pintle-style PCV Valves need to be installed in an upright position, while not necessary when engine is off, their natural, relaxed position should be so the pintle is sealed against the seat when the engine is off. If yours has a grommet, the correct part number can be found in my entry to the Useful Part Number List thread.

---Gotta run, no time to proof-read... LOL.

Who loves hearing,
"We replaced this & that & the bill comes to $x,xxx.xx ... but we couldn't find the problem. What payment method will you be using?"?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the info! My passenger side valve cover does not have a flame arrestor in it, but i found one in my pile of parts that does. I will install it this weekend.

I got the truck to run with the pvc hose hooked directly to the intake manifold vacuum source, but now it stumbles when i give throttle. not severly but enough to notice. Im wondering if, due to the loss of vacuum (because the pcv is hooked up), my power valve is opening to soon causing a rich condition. At idle i have about 17 inches of vacuum and a 6.5 power valve. Does this sound like a PV issue?

Tags
196 , 345 , air , air filter , cap , case , compression , engine , filter , hose , idle , oil , part , restore , short , spark , tach , terra , test , truck , tub , tube , vacuum , valley pan , valve