Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 PM
High Wheeler

Default Quieting down the Scout 800 (lots of pictures)

Planning on a 3+ day trip over the Mojave road, late March - early April (hopefully to coincide with the desert bloom). So instead of starting on the 4BT swap, I figured it would be a better idea to work on quieting down the ride. The Scout is really dependable at this point.
With that in mind, I thought it would be cool to get some sound measurements, starting from basically stock, and seeing what kind of effect, adding deadener, and insulation / carpet, etc. can have. So I'll pick up a cheap decibel meter, and post to this thread as I go.

Step one is to get back to stock!

Still haven't got the top or the hood back from paint yet, so I figured I'd start with replacing the felts and window guides.
The doors are so rusted, that a large part of the day was drilling out broken screws and bolts. I'm going to have to do some reinforcing in a few areas, as it goes back together. Fortunately these doors and tub are temporary.
Anyway, here are some pictures from today. sanded down the rust, and painted the window frames and top trim piece. If the paint sets up well enough, I'll start installing the felts tomorrow.
Here are some shots from today's progress:

interesting replacement part. Actually worked very well. e-clip and washer

Parts hanging in the heated garage to dry. I moved the windows onto the workbench for the warmth as well.

August 2012, "the build" begins...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 PM
High Wheeler

Default Re: Quieting down the Scout 800 (lots of pictures)

If you have any issues going back with the "C" clips, LL dealers have new OEM clips. Looks good, if you are going to use a 4BT, I would scour the JYs looking for the sound insulation used on a Power Stroke fire wall and under hood. That will be your best bang for the buck as far as quite goes.

RIP Ricky you are missed.

Did you check the green wire?
1973 Travelette ton axles on 35s
1977 SSII Just a little modified ;o)
1980 Scout with 375hp LS1
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 PM
High Wheeler

Thanks Robert.

Great idea on PSD insulation. IIRC Guido used this on his build as well. It looks like there is enough room behind the 304 that I may be able to install it before the swap.

The 4BT is going to be fun, but that won't get started until after we return from the Mojave Road trip. I plan to do some major sound deadening to the engine itself, before the install. The 6BT crowd has some very nice engine quieting accessories available. some will transfer over to the 4BT, some will not. So there will be a lot of fabricating to do.
Just bought an HE341 Turbo, and noticed it's missing the anti-whistle ring. For the life of me, I don't understand why people take that out... So now I need to try and find one.

In the mean time, I'll insulate the tub, and top. I already started building a headliner, before the top went off for body and paint work. And I also plan to insulate the hood.
The interior will get jute pad, carpet, door panels and new body mounts, so it *should* be pretty decent.

The meter will tell...

Scott
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 PM
High Wheeler

Scott if you really want to quite down the inside, use a felt saddle pad (about an inch thick) for the firewall sound proofing on the inside. When I did the 7.3 in my Travelette that worked better than anything I tried. I did the inside of the firewall with Duramax not much help, then I did the felt saddle pads and they worked very good under the carpet and on the fire wall.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:55 PM
High Wheeler

Awesome idea Robert, Thanks!
I'll start checking them out. My Girlfriend's Daughter-in-law grew up on a ranch, so she'll probably have a good idea of where to get a good deal.

What did you use to keep it tacked in place on the firewall?

Scott

August 2012, "the build" begins...
Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM
High Wheeler

I used 10/32 screws through the existing holes that were where the factory pad used with clip things. I bought very long screws and used them to hold sound proofing on both sides, the cut them off after I had the nuts tight. I also used large fender washers on both sides to keep everything in place. For what it's worth I also used a very heavy coat of Hurculiner before I installed anything to prevent rust issues.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
High Wheeler

Very nice!

Since the 800 didn't come with a firewall pad, I'll probably use nut-serts. That should be a fun project.
Was just looking at some of the saddle pads. Man, some of those pads are beautiful. I wouldn't want to cover up the blanket with a saddle! Wow!
I may get one just to throw in the back for the dogs.

Scott
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
High Wheeler

So the windows have new felts and guides, and the lack of rattles makes a big difference. I also added a few tabs of foam tape behind the door inspection covers to keep them from rattling.
Downloaded a decibel meter app for the Android smart phone (called Noise Meter) and went for a drive. The phone is mounted in a "car cradle" at the lower center of the windshield.
I'll probably continue to use this same "meter", as it is very easy to mount and monitor.
Noise Meter settings:
update screen rate = 0.5 Secs
Sampling rate = 16Bits
Sampling speed 8k/sec
Gain 0%
No filter
Reference freq 1,000Hz
Bandwidth 500Hz
Sitting in the office with no background noise (other than the laptop), the meter reads about 25 Db. Normal conversation from about one meter away is ~ 50 to 55 Db.
Yelling into the mic from about a foot away I recorded a max of 87Db. Pretty sure I'm louder than that...

At this point the Scout has a bikini top, the roll cage (padded in the driver's compartment), and for floor mats it has a heavy rubber material (like heavy duty big truck mud flaps). The bed has the same material, but it only covers about the front half. The bottom of the tub is undercoated from the factory, and the inside has a rust preventive coating that is about 0.020" thick. It has dual flow master 40s, with the pipes cut before the tail end. The exhaust bounces off the trailer hitch, and provides a bit of drone. No hood or top. BFG M/T 31x10.5 x15 @about 75%.

Any way. Here's what it looks like so far:
(Clear skies, no wind, upper 40s)
Idling in the driveway averaged about 59 Db.
In town cruising below 40mph it averaged about 62 Db.
On the freeway cruising at the speed limits (65 & 70) it averaged about 74 Db. It would go as high as low 80's when passing a big rig, or getting passed by a 4x4 with loud tires. Otherwise it was fairly consistent.

What I noticed:
So with the windows up, there is not much flapping of the top. The wind pressure coming from behind the seats keeps everything fairly calm in the cabin. Heater works great
It seems there is a lot more noise from the left ear, than in the center (as would be expected). Without the windows rattling I can hear the tires hum, and the "ammo box console" top rattles. Couldn't hear that before. Didn't try winding the windows down and testing. May try that next weekend, before installing the hood and top.
I'm hoping to have the hood and the top on by next weekend. And when that is done, I'll retest. Then start adding insulation, and noise deadening material, and retest as it goes along.

Scott
Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 PM
High Wheeler

Well, the headliner is done for the travel top, and all installed. The headliner completely covers the interior of the top, sides, front and back. It has sound deadener, and insulation installed as well.

Here's a thread with pictures of the headliner during construction.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=107078

Today was pretty windy 15mph with gusts up to 20mph.
Idling in the driveway was about 48dB
In town driving was about the same (59dB).
Freeway was also about the same 73-74dB, with max about 76dB. I think the wind had a lot to do with the lack of difference.

So what I noticed:
It now reminds me of riding in a late '70s / early '80s pickup. It sounds solid, and ambient outside noise is quite a bit less.
There is a lot of whistling through the vent windows, and around the front of the top (windshield area). That noise is a close second to the exhaust noise. Which is annoying, and will get fixed before the Mojave Road trip. Then next up was road noise amplified through the floor boards. So I'll work on that too. Since this tub is pretty rotted, it's a great tub to experiment with.

Scott
Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Farmall Cub

Great thread. Thanks.

Tags
800 , broke , build , doors , engine , paint , part , pictures , power , project , replacement , rim , rusted , scout , scout 80 , scout 800 , screws , sound , stalling , starting , swap , top , tub , turbo , work