Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Farmall Cub

Default SOA lift & Tire size

After some research and help from you guys on here, i'm gona get roughly about 5" of lift. On my 1970 800a scout. What size tire can i fit under there now?

Now with only having a 196ci and 4.27:1 gears it still like it to be able to get out of it's own way. So maybe 33" or 35"? Maybe 35" are little big and a Dana 27 killer...just looking for some input from people that have done SOA!! It's not gonna see much off road!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Moderator.. or something

Default Re: SOA lift & Tire size

800's are a little different as they have different shaped wheel wells... but for comparison on a Scout II, a typical SOA nets you around 5.5 - 6" of lift.

You can make 32's rub if you try hard. 33's can clear pretty well with a little minor fender trip and cleanup, 35's will rub unless you cut or bump stop or lift more (body, shackle etc) or a combo of all the above.

Physicaly fit... I' bet 35's will look good on it, but you'll need to take provision to keep the tires out of the body.

*I* wouldn't waste my time and effort on the stock axles. Start with a set of Scout II D44, Waggy D44's or a Chevy D44 and work from there. I'd also look at a spring swap to get something a little more over-all durable than the stock 1.75" wide springs.

Plan on driveshaft upgrades/rework, steering upgrades and conversion (powersteering, new tie-rod/draglink and highsteer or Z-link), brake upgrades (discs, power or manual), Shocks, Brake Lines, gearing, motor upgrades.... the list is endless.

Oh, and if you don't have it yet... CAGE and better seatbelts.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Farmall Cub

Well it's pretty much gonna be a payment queen so there's no need for a cage. It has a Dana 27 front 44 rear, i already have all the parts to do a disc front conversion, so i'll be sticking w/ the stock axle. Also plan on going a steering setup like this w/ a z draglink...
http://www.bc4x4.com/includes/thumbc...ersion&sa=true
Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Moderator.. or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss Scout View Post
Well it's pretty much gonna be a payment queen so there's no need for a cage.
ummm, think again. Search around, some of the nastiest wrecks and squished top are from road acidents. Lift a Scout and the potential can get even worce.

Put a 4-point bar in there if there is not already one. It WILL save your life.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Y-Block King

Send a message via AIM to Tom Mandera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ashford View Post
ummm, think again. Search around, some of the nastiest wrecks and squished top are from road acidents. Lift a Scout and the potential can get even worce.

Put a 4-point bar in there if there is not already one. It WILL save your life.
I concur.

The disc brake Dana 27 will be fine for street service, but of the various rolls and wrecks I've seen, the ones on the trail are pretty boring, but the ones on the street are horrific.
We Race Farm Equipment M4x4A #576
KE7VUX
Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 AM
Farmall Cub

Well no one has really answered my tire fit question yet!!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 AM
High Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss Scout View Post
Well no one has really answered my tire fit question yet!!!!!
I would say 33s max if it wont be seeing any off road driving. Even that might be too much for the d27 if its not in good working order.

1969 Scout 800...work in progress http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78442

I need a latch for an 800A/B travel top passenger side sliding window. Please PM me if you have one.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Y-Block King

Send a message via AIM to Tom Mandera

I have seen 33x9.50-15 tires on an unmodified 800 body and they fit OK. Actually, I think they had to do something with the quarter panel strut brace behind the rear axle.

If you stick with narrow axles, and skinny (but tall) tires, they'll fit better on your 80/800 chassis.

You may still have problems with turning, with the bigger tires hitting the sheetmetal.

You can work this out by using a tape measure.

A GOOD suspension lift doesn't allow you to run any taller/bigger tires than you could stock, unless you lower the bump stops a lot.

In the case of an SOA, the bump stops usually get lowered a few inches, primarily because the bump stops used to hit the axle tube, and now they hit the U-bolt plate on top of the spring pack on top of the axle tube, so that effectively lowers your bump stops.

But like others.. 33s.. and skinny 33s.

I have an SOA Scout II and my 31" tires rub - and that's with the bump stops lowered (now sporting air-bumps)
We Race Farm Equipment M4x4A #576
KE7VUX
Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
High Wheeler

You could put 38" on there if you wanted, but remember your turning radius is limited by your tires hitting the leaf springs too.

I'm thinking 33 would be the largest if you still wanted full turning. That's why Tom said narrow tires.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Farmall Cub

So some 33-10.5R15 would most likley work....

Tags
1970 , 4.2 , 800 , 800a , axles , body , brake , cage , conversion , lift , parts , project , scout , scout ii , shackle , shocks , size , soa , start , steering , swap , tire , tires , wheel