Binder Planet
BinderPlanet

Go Back   Binder Planet Forums > General Forums > General IH Tech

IH Sierra Fall Rallye

Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Farmall Cub

Send a message via Yahoo to Rusty Scout
Default Hand Operated parking brake retrofit for 75 IH150???

My parking brake is not functional. It works but will not lock(ratchet is not ratcheting). I drive with hand controls (wheelchair user) and I would like to replace it with a hand operated lever rather than the original foot operated version. My parts catalog shows a hand operated version but for a 1 ton or IH500. Has anyone done this retrofit or have any suggestions? It seems that the hand operated version is mounted in the same place but I could be wrong.

p.s. anyone got a parts truck with a hand brake?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Content Team

Default Re: Hand Operated parking brake retrofit for 75 IH150???

I suspect you are looking for an Orscheln type hand brake lever: the type seen on delivery trucks where the lever is pulled up over center to lock the parking brake. It has a knob on the end that adjusts the brake tension.

I have three or four of the levers at the ranch, Steve. My project with them is to replace the silly parking brake on my 65 80.

Fairly simple in the mounting but a bit more fiddly in the engineering. The cable has to be routed and length determined; holes cut in appropriate places and cable secured.

Not too bad of a project and especially helpful in your situation.

I'll bring them all down next time I'm up there.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Lives in an IH Dealership

I have a 1510 which virtually identical to the 500 trucks, since they were too low volume to make it worth doing the updates like the rest of the 74-5 full size. It has the hand p-brake lever, however since it is connected to a drivline brake it is mounted to the side of the trans and operates a rod linkage.

I do repair and maintain a fleet of delivery (milk) trucks that most of are equipped with the hand lever. In many of the P30 trucks it is mounted in the same general location of the foot lever that some of the same era trucks have. I'll have to go and look at my 1010 later but I think that the cable attaches to the bottom of the foot lever. The hand operated ones on the other hand have the cable coming in from the rear. So the original cable may be too short to work. Going from recollection the amount the cable sticks out from the housing and the connections at the lever end are pretty much the same for both styles so it should hook up and operate if you can make the cable reach to a place you can both operate it and allow for the aprox 90 degree swing of the lever.

The thing that may pose a problem is that mounting the lever in a position where you can operate it easily will likely cause the lever to stick out into the door opening when in the applied position.

However on most of the International school bus based rigs the lever is mounted under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. (IH dropped the regular cowl and chassis trucks, plus the bigger brakes of a school bus are appropriate for multi stop service) That allows for the lever to be applied without it being in the way for getting in and out of the truck. One of my brothers uses a wheel chair so I am familiar with the need for maximum space while getting in and out particularly getting the wheel chair in after you.

You would have to build a bracket of some sort to mount the lever too but it could be as simple as a piece of angle iron bolted to the bottom of the dash on one end and a bracket to the firewall on the other. As far as the length of the cable those can be made to order. I am lucky enough to have the Cable Craft division of IssPro just a couple of miles down from the farm. The can make a cable to match but adjust the overall length to any thing you need, as well as adjust the length of the inner cable. If you need I'd be more than happy to take your cable and have them make it to fit your application. Yes they can take it in at any of the IssPro locations but I think ours is the only or 1 of 2 with the Cable Craft division. Taking it there in person and talking directly to the guy that is making the cable right before/while he is making it assures it is exactly what is desired. If you are interested PM me and we'll work out the details.

The other thing to consider is the hand operated levers used in many of the older Toyota and Nissan trucks and really old American trucks. They are the pull type and you turn the lever 90 degrees to release. I don't know how easy it would be to adapt one of those. There would likely be cable compatibility issues. But again a custom cable could be made we'd just need a section of the lever end of the cable from the donor. Then have them make the cable with the proper ends and length to make it work.

Let me know if I can help. I'm probably not going in today but I will be tomorrow and I can take some pics of the various ways the lever is mounted in some of the trucks.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Farmall Cub

Send a message via Yahoo to Rusty Scout

Yeah Thanks for pointing clearance issue out. It is tough enough to wrestle the wheelchair in and out of the cab with limited clearance issues. Having a lever sticking out won't help as in the IH500 hand brake. The ih bus lever to the right of the column makes better sense. I will concentrate my efforts on finding one of those. Also I had a police cherokee xj for a while and I think it had a beefy hand brake lever mounted between the seats on the floor. Those are a dime a dozen at picknpull so I will swing by there this weekend to see if it will be an easy score too. I will also take a peak at some of the japanese stuff for ideas.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Lives in an IH Dealership

The ones use in the Internationals are the same ones used in the step vans, and I'm sure they are the same ones Doc has.

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=sv&p=wi

Yes that says it's for an "International Step Van" but if you look it up for any of the step vans. You can use any 2 of the 4 bolt hole seen along the bottom to mount it. When mounted on a kick panel area the norm is so use spacers made of steel tube to provide clearance for the handle. To the bottom of the dash you'll need to make some sort of bracket, but then you'll just need a couple of washers to provide operating clearance for the mechanism. There is one truck with it mounted on top of the dash so it swings in more or less a horizontal plane.

Tags
1010 , brake , brakes , build , cable , column , custom , dash , door , firewall , full size , hose , international , knob , lock , nissan , parts , project , rear , short , size , steering , truck , wheel