Zinc levels

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Dan Phariss, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Dan Phariss

Dan Phariss High Wheeler

It appears that Amsoils "car" motor oils at least the top of the line stuff, has high zinc levels.
    Have not checked out Royal Purple or Red Line.
    My ISP is running pretty slow today.
    Dan

From
    http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/Anti_Wear_Additives.htm

Zinc Phos
    AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 1599 1288
    Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 5W-30 1070 892
    Phillips 66 Trop Artic 10W-30 922 784
    Pennzoil 5W-30 1170 905
    Quaker State 10W-30 4X4 Synthetic Blend 1078 856
    Castrol Syntec 5W-50 972 856

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Farmall Cub

Dan,
    When I rebuilt my 5.0 in my ford pick up, i added a break in additive. I think it was by Crane, and it was for Cam break in, and had added Zinc. If i recall, I think that it screws up the O2 sensor in more modern motors, but greatly helps aid in break in of flat tappet cams, or I should say helps avoid wipe out of the cam lobes during break in. I Was planning on changing the O2 and Cat (with the rest of the exhaust system) anyway so it did not matter to me If it got fowled. This may be why more modern oils have less Zinc I guess.

3. Dan Phariss

Dan Phariss High Wheeler

Various oil sites go into the reduced zinc in detail. Most seem to think that levels around 1000 are OK. I would like to see more than this for the IH engines. I think the various diesel oils and levels like that shown for the Amsoil Series 2000 oils are better for older engines like the IH gassers.

The last 392 I did when i picked up the parts they recommended using Delo or Rotella as break in oil due to zinc concerns. Even had a handout about it.

Dan

4. Rob Peterson

Rob Peterson High Wheeler

Is there a good additive that specifically adds more zinc? (Besides Head 'n' Shoulders shampoo, from the other thread)

5. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The STP oil additive for 4 cylinder engines has lots of Zinc. There is a guy who goes by Dr Lee on the www.thedieselpage.com who is an engineer and he has said that adding about 1 oz of the 4 cylinder STP per oil change would be a good way to get more Zinc in your oil.

I would think that any flat tappet cam engine should higher levels of Zinc in it's oil.

Carey

6. ScoutmanSV

ScoutmanSV Y-Block King

GL-5/6 has lots of zinc in it so what would be the problem of adding a couple ounces of it to a low-zinc MO? :confused: ;)

I can tell you that years ago I was low on oil going across the Cali desert (what a god forsaken drive that was!) only had a quart of gear oil & I did put it in. That was on a high mileage 390 Ford engine and I drove it for many more years before rebuild time.

I'd wager 6 3/4 quarts of motor oil & a cup (8oz) of gear oil prolly wouldn't hurt a thing (that's a 27:1 ratio) .... but I'm not going to recommend it. ;)

I run a 20-50 MO & all should be well since 20-50 isn't 'OEM recommended' for new engines/vehicles that don't need higher levels of zinc. :D

:cool:

Hope they FAQ this zinc issue some day ....

7. Dan Phariss

Dan Phariss High Wheeler

Its much easier to just add some STP if one insists on using an oil that has low zinc levels. Best alternative is to use one of the diesel oils. Second best is to add STP.
    Adding gear oil might cause additive package conflicts or PLUGGING OF OIL PASSAGES if the gear oil's EP additives clot up in the high temps encountered in engines.
    Are you sure zinc is present in GL-4/5 oils? The function is serves in motor oil is different than the function of the EPs in gear oils for hypoid gear applications.
    If the 20w50 has the same application letter code SL for example it may be low in zinc anyway to meet the standard.
    Dan

8. Dan Phariss

Dan Phariss High Wheeler

Plain old STP oil treatment. The zinc additive is one of its major components. Probably 1/2 bottle or even less per oil change would be enough.

Dan