Zinc content of motor oil?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Barney, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Barney

Barney Farmall Cub

Ran across Union 76 Thunderbird HD re refined 15 -40 today.
    . The specs show that it meets same as Delo 400. Also saw on the spec sheet that the zinc content is much higher than most oils. Any one using this oil? Opinions?

2. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

What is the listed Zinc content? To meet CJ spec it is limited to 1200ppm or less.

3. Barney

Barney Farmall Cub

Looked at the box again and it is called Firebird HD, not Thunderbird. The zinc content is listed as .138% wt. Is that good? That is the rating for the 15-40. The 30 is rated at .111% wt..

4. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

Yes that's good it must be labeled CI or CI plus those were/are allowed 1400 ppm max or .140% the 30wt must be labeled SL that spec is 1200ppm, SM the current car spec oil is limited to 900PPM. Many 30wt oils are SL as no engine has called for that as a factory fill in decades.

IH calls out for a minimum of 1000 ppm or .100% per the FSM and owners manual.

Zinc levels have been reduced over the years to extend catalytic converter life. Unfortunately lowered zinc levels increase cam and lifter wear.

Where did you find it and how much$, I may need to grab some on the way to or from the Binder Bee this weekend.

Search: Isky cam oil warning, here, for info a lot of info or search Zinc or ZDDP here or on the web for a ton of info.

5. Barney

Barney Farmall Cub

I found this oil at a local independent auto parts store. The price was 2.29 a quart. They only had one box of the 15-40. They usually never carry the same brand twice, that goes for the auto parts and the oils. They must buy from whatever wholesaler has the best bargain at the time. I am going to ask them if they can get more.

6. Bill Bennett

Bill Bennett High Wheeler

While the 'oil' itself doesn't wear out, the 'additive package' in the oil is what fails over time. You may even get some synthetic oil mixed in as part of the deal. When you take in your old oil for recycling, it goes in the barrell with whatever the previous recycler brought in. The recycle/re-refined oil may have more zinc added but what else? Is the higher zinc to substitute for the additive package the major oil companies would add in new oil?
    Buying oil is like the old saying - 'pay me now or pay me later'. You could save a little now with the re-refined oil but if the detergents are not in the oil to keep the engine clean, the oil passages may get restricted and low oil flow will eventually kill the engine. Better to use new oil to keep the engine happy.
    But, that's just my opinion!
    Bill Bennett 68 Travelall 304A synthetic oil user for 20 years.

7. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

8. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

Yeah, you drink Thunderbird. The zinc content in Thunderbird is very low, but the ethanol level is quite high...

9. Robert Kenney

Robert Kenney Binder Driver

What do you guys think about Valvoline VR1. Specs say 1300PPM zinc and 1300PPM phosphorus. I have been running it in all of my flat tappet motors including ones with 130# seat and 330# over the nose in that I run straight 50wt but 20w50 in everything else.
    I have never had a cam problem. They also sell a synth version that has 1200 & 1200 PPM z-p.

Robert

10. Roger McGregor

Roger McGregor Farmall Cub