Wrong kit possibly?

Discussion in 'Anything Scout' started by Master of none, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Master of none

Master of none Farmall Cub

Ugh. So, I ordered a 2.5 inch RC Lift kit and it finally came. I started with the rear end. Not paying attention, I went to lower the axle down to the springs and "pop" my rear brake hose busted! I immediately thought I recieved the wrong lift. After phone calls and emails, I was told by the company I ordered it from, it was indeed a 2.5 inch. I then carried on with the install. Now that I'm onto the front end. The brake lines are really tight. I ordered the 2.5 so I didn't have to screw around with all the extras involved with a 4 inch. Can anybody here confirm the part numbers of the leaf springs. The rear are 8040 and the front springs are 8309. I was assured that the RC BOM calls for these springs in the 2.5 kit. It just doesn't seem right to me. Thank you!

2. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

You need to disconnect that stuff before you drop the axles down no?

3. Master of none

Master of none Farmall Cub

From what I was told, you don't have to with a 2.5 lift. You do if you're installing a 4". That is why I wasn't watching it and it was a suprise when it went. Either I was told wrong, or I received the wrong lift kit.

4. pscrambler

pscrambler Binder Driver

Unfortunately You definitely still need extended brakes lines for the 2.5. You can save a little money on the rear by buying a 79 f-250 brake hose. Same ends but it's long enough to accommodate a 4 inch lift.

5. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

Those are the correct part numbers per a quick google search. 71-73 SII 2.5" lift.

6. JordanAMC

JordanAMC Binder Driver

If you were lowering your axles without them being restricted by the springs, you could have easily dropped them far enough down to pop a brake line. That doesn't mean that they'd be too taught at ride height though. Think about it... What holds the axles in place? Leaf Springs. Without them in place, the axle will drop to the ground unless you are supporting them from below (I guess the driveshaft could limit drop there, though). Even with extended lines, you could run the risk of popping a brake line if the truck is too high off the ground and you let the axle drop to the floor.

With that being said, I installed a 4" RC lift on my Scout back in 2010, and I didn't bust or swap any brake lines at that time. I eventually added extended stainless lines though because I knew that if I flexed the suspension I'd like lose braking power and die.

So, I'm sorry it happened to you, but it sounds like installation error. Disconnect the lines, install the kit, and reconnect the lines. If you need longer lines at that point, buy them (there's no need to jump to extended stainless steel lines... you can just order longer rubber lines), install them, and bleed the system. Make sure you cycle the suspension in the garage with your floor jack to check the brake lines, otherwise you may pop one pulling into a driveway or something.