Wood bed

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by gwinter1129, Jan 14, 2015.

1. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

The bed on my '70 800A, well there isn't one. I'm thinking of putting in a maple bed with Chrome trim. When finished this scout will be a Dailey driver for my wife. Has any one else put in a wood bed? If so I would appreciate some pics. If not I guess I'll be the first to post. Greg

2. mhouston

mhouston Farmall Cub

I've never put one in, but I did see one done in oak one time. Though, no trim and I'm pretty sure it was just a cheap cover up of the holes :D

I bet it would look really nice if done properly

3. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Hello Greg,

This was something I had been planning for my 1970 800a.

I haven't gotten past the early planning stages, but in November 2012, I had several conversations with Jackie at bedwoodandparts.com.

They seemed pretty helpful, and unless some other better option pops up, I will move forward with them once I am to that point.

Here is their non-Internet business contact information, again, dated from November 2012.

Jacqueline N. Bullion
    Bed Wood and Parts
    8345 Madisonville Rd
    Hopkinsville, KY 42240
    (270) 424-3000
    FAX: (270) 424-8300

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. Terry W

Terry W Farmall Cub

I've been considering this also. Mine will be a daily driver and will never see any off road use. Keep us posted as your project progresses.

At the moment I'm trying to get my PS and PB installed as time permits. I'm in the parts gathering stage right now. I have my hydroboost but still need the steering box.

5. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

I know my priorities are not in order because I haven't upgraded to PS or PB but I'm worried about a wooden bed. I will be sure to show and tell once I do it. I have a walnut tree in my woods and a saw mill 5 miles away. Thanks for the site info Jerry. They have some nice stuff. I can make the wood pieces(old cabinet maker). Then I can make the two metal end pieces and have them chromed. This is going to be my Dailey driver but I want it to be the best darn daily around. Now I'm excited, Greg

6. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

One of our members here in New Jersey showed me how he installed a CJ7 fuel tank in his Scout. I'm thinking of doing the same and mounting the fuel tank in the bed. This pic is from the site Jerry gave us; bedwoodandparts.com and I liked the concept. Anyone see any drawbacks? Greg
    [​IMG]

7. scout2000

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the pics.

To answer your question on drawback, I guest, at least for me, it would depend on which top your scout has.

The picture that you posted, in specific, would be fine for a cab top Scout, and I know that you have one of those.

For me specifically, I have already purchased the Jeep fuel tank to go between the frame rails at the rear, but I am going to have the filler hose go to the side. You are probably neater than me, but I know that I would spill fuel which would have me sniffing fuel fumes and probably/ultimately ruin the finish on my fancy wood floor.

That aside, the wood floor in your friends Jeep look great. I hope mine ends up looking as good.

8. scout2000

Greg,

I am going to have to respectfully disagree your comment there. There have been so many sub projects that take time to plan, accumulate parts, farm out work for this and that. I have had to plan way ahead, or I would be even further behind in my project than I am now.

If you aren't planning ahead for multiple sub-projects on your Scouts ........ well ....... you probably have more of a life than me. :)

9. Terry W

Terry W Farmall Cub

The issue I can see with the fuel filler in the bed is inconvenience of access and spillage. I usually have my dog with me, I plan on a ragtop and again the fumes if you drip a little. I don't know about you, but I usually need gas at the least convenient time.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about the gas tank situation, but I have my thinkin cap on, for what that's worth. I had an 800 before and I didn't really hate the side tanks except for the overfilling and leakage down the side. I usually just ran it like I had one tank and used the second tank kind of like a reserve. Worked OK for me.

I think it's natural to plan ahead or at least think ahead, when I'm doing the brainless stuff my mind wanders and I add stuff to my list. Then I stumble across a cruise night or car show and I see something else that looks cool. It never ends and at my age it keeps my brain working.

Terry

10. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

I can be sloppy guys so maybe I better rethink this. This is the reason I belong to this forum. Greg

11. scout2000

The point I was mostly trying to make is that the filler neck in the bed is situational. Given a cabtop Scout, I would do that without thinking twice. A direct shot to the fuel tank and no more holes to have to put into my Scout.

OTOH, traveltop Scout, no way would I put a fuel filler hole in the rear deck, I would be forever smelling my fuel/gasoline fumes every time I filled up..

As far as installation of the rear tank goes, there are several in the archives that make for great examples, but the one that I liked best came was forwarded to me from user "radar232".

http://www.binderbulletin.org/showt...O-FUEL-TANK-Lets-see-photos-of-how-you-did-it

I also explored my options and got some good input from others more experienced than me here, regarding the rear fuel tank options.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121017

Hope this helps.

12. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

That's some great info Jerry, thank's for putting us on to it. This will help me in making some final decisions. Greg

13. JordanAMC

JordanAMC Binder Driver

Not to mention, unless it's a show truck or one that you only take out to cruise the strip or something on a Friday night, having the filler on the bed floor could prove to be really inconvenient if you are carrying anything in the truck.

Just my $.02. I also agree 100% on the fuel fumes in the cab, if you run a travel top.

14. scout2000

15. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Bruce Horkey cabinetry has kits for wood pickup beds. Find him in Hemmings Motor News.

Fuel fillers in the bed: Any hotrod show will have a few pickup with this option. Query the owners. Loooks neat but I have never used such.

16. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Sorry Jerry kind of put this on the back burner while I figure a couple things out. Nice bed nebrscout! I will also look into your recommendation Doc. I'll be getting back to this in a week or so. I'm with you on that JordanAMC. This Scout will be a dailey driver but since I am retired it won't be used for work. I also don't off road any more for medical reasons. I just want to look good tooling around, Greg

17. scout2000

Same for me. I fully suspect that the wood bed will be one of the final items to move to the front burner.

That said, if you aren't stuffing your magic bag full of trick and bits of knowledge, you will be starting from scratch when ever you are ready to execute.

Really, I was just highlighting a common interest.

18. scout2000

Hello Doc,

thanks for the comment.

I have been going over my Hemmings motor news, and I guess I just keep overlooking Bruce Horkey cabinetry.

Any chance you would post the rest of his contact information?

thank you,

19. 1310monster

1310monster Farmall Cub

The wood bed option is one thing I wish IH had offered. Chebby had the wood option not only for the narrow bed but also the long and short wide beds. Dunno about Ford. It almost makes me want to make my bed into a wood floor if it could be done even though my steel floor is good.

20. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I am playing around with the idea of a wood bed in my Terra. Not sure exactly how it would work as there is of course already a metal bed floor. I am not too keen on bed liner right now and don't want to repaint it to match the exterior as I do haul stuff. I think my biggest concern is drainage (between the steel and the possible new wood).