Wiring in a starter or coil kill switch for theft protection.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by winchested, Jan 4, 2019.

1. 1EyedTanker

1EyedTanker Farmall Cub

I had someone steal the gas cap, and the OEM Scout II badge from the left rear quarter panel in one fell swoop. The cap was an easy fix; just bought an after market locking cap, but the emblem is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

This thread reminds me that I bought one of these Jacobs "Stop Action" anti-theft devices many years ago and never installed it. Neat idea though. I should probably look into hooking it up. If memory serves, so long as it is switched "ON" once you start your car you have, I think 12 seconds to flick a switch hidden somewhere, most likely under the dash, and this allows everything to run normally until you switch the engine off again. If you DON'T hit the switch, the engine will run for just a few minutes, then the device kills the ignition.

The idea behind letting your engine run for a bit is the permit the thieves to get the hell away from you and also have the engine die in some inconvenient-for-them situation. Also, the claim was that if they break into your vehicle, do damage trying to start it and fail then leave, you can only claim vandalism on your insurance. Higher deductible. But if they actually STEAL the vehicle, that's a better situation for you from an insurance point of view. Maybe lower or no deductible? Whether or not that's actually true I can't say.

One thing I don't like about this whole idea, I'll admit, is that I don't know how my truck would act if someone besides me is behind the wheel racing down some blvd or around curves and it suddenly looses power steering and brakes.

JacobsStopAction.jpg

Kenneth Barber, stroker3 and Mustang like this.
  3. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

I have a power cut-off that's easy for me to deal with but difficult for anyone else. And if I have to leave my Scout in a sketchy area overnight, I have another battery cut-off under the hood. Then I remove my dash-pull knob and the nut holding the cable, then tuck the cable in the dash. A thief would have no idea how the get a Scout II hood open at that point.

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  4. RBS

RBS Farmall Cub

It is sad that we need throw away vehicles to park in some places. I guess Uber has another market segment here for getting places where you don't want to drive although Ubering to a trail head could get interesting.

I am in a pretty safe rural area now but when i was doing my PhD in Luboock back in the late 1980s anything that wasn't nailed down was fair game for theft. I had the aftermarket Pioneer radio stolen out of my '85 Monte Carlo SS and two license plates were also stolen (probably for the decal after prices went up on annual registration). When I moved outside of the small farm village of Minier in central, IL it took some time to adjust back to a low crime area. In the early 1990s the little grocery store in the village took everything out to your car regardless of how small the purchase and during my first trip there the bagger came up to me with a surprised expression to tell me, "mister, somebody locked your car doors" :) It took a little time to get used to not living in a high crime area but it was a nice adjustment to move into the equivalent of Andy Griffith's Mayberry.

There are places I won't park my Z06 although I have taken it to a Wal Mart in a nearby town that is very safe and the first time I drove it there one of the cart gatherers directed me to a safe end spot that had just opened up; about as close to valet parking as you will ever get at Wally World.

Anything is subject to theft but just hope and pray that a Scout isn't featured in a popular movie or the theft value of the vehicle and especially its identifying emblems will increase. The movie Top Gun saved Ray Ban from probable bankruptcy given the tremendous renewed popularity of its aviator style glasses from being featured in the movie but sometimes this popularity can create issues-especially for vehicles which are either not affordable or not available to those who want them.

Otherwise a major part of your safety strategy is to make your vehicle less attractive to thieves than other options; when brick and mortar retailing was king many stores focused upon having very obvious anti-shoplifter strategies so that the potential perpetrators would choose an easier softer target instead. Stealth measures are useful but often the "in your face" measures that indicate your vehicle will be more difficult to take are the most effective. I have had a home security system for years but the decals indicating protection along with a large and loud German shepherd are probably more effective than the multitude of sensors, alert transducers, and redundant communications measures.

Kenneth Barber and stroker3 like this.
  5. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

With today's tech with a nicely outfitted scout I'll bet you're right. A simple sticker alone warning of something along the lines of being watched/ tracked/ and or having numbered parts would leave enough doubt in most theives minds to bother taking the chance with it.

6. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

I suppose as I transition to life near Columbus, OH my security concerns will change -- certainly need to change my habit of leaving the keys in the ignition in the driveway...
    Probably the best way to prevent "joy-riding" is still "the club" -- Lets the Punk know to find an easier mark...
    https://www.acehardware.com/departm...MI4aDHyc_e3wIVB4FpCh0QQAdREAQYAiABEgKaVfD_BwE
    Sure a dedicated Scout thief could just remove/replace the steering wheel but I suspect a dedicated Scout thief would scout for a better specimen than mine...

As for "valuables" left at the trailhead -- I guess as I continue to do the body work perhaps some hidden water tight compartments built into the rear quarters...

For trail runs (ah, to me that means leaving the Scout at trail head parking while I run ten miles) I've used a key lock box (like when your house is for sale) through the trailer hitch...

7. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Trail heads to me is going mountain biking locally.

8. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

There are few theft deterrent systems that are more effective than a large dog.

RBS and 1EyedTanker like this.
  9. RBS

RBS Farmall Cub

Cheyenne agrees (as she charges through blowing snow)
    Cheyenne attack.jpg

1EyedTanker and Kenneth Barber like this.
  10. Scoutboy55

Scoutboy55 Farmall Cub

There are few theft deterrent systems that are more effective than a large dog.

I agree. Unfortunately this one is easily disabled with a tennis ball... IMG_3305.jpg

11. RBS

RBS Farmall Cub

But probably has better driving skills than a lot of the current text first, look later types who would be better off chewing a tennis ball instead of glued to their screen.

1EyedTanker and stroker3 like this.
  12. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

And who hasn't done this once or twice...

winchested likes this.
  13. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

"International Canines", maybe we need a thread.

stroker3 likes this.
  14. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

Just wire in a switch on the coil circuit and hid the switch in a convienient but hidden location. I always do this for my vintage cars. For break-ins just don’t leave anything saleable or loose change in the open. Determined thieves always get in so if they can see everything and it’s not attractive that’s probably the best deterrent. Covering any valuables works too.

Don b

1EyedTanker likes this.
  15. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Remember that most break-ins are liable to do more damage in time and money (in some instances perhaps irreparable damage) than the value of anything inside the vehicle.
    I don’t lock my IHs and I don’t leave/carry anything worth anything in them.

1EyedTanker and stroker3 like this.
  16. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

Obviously took this pic on a day you could actually see the mountains behind your home.

17. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

I can fix damage easy enough, but if it get's stolen I'm out a lot of money. Unlocked they can jump in like they own it even in a busy area. Then it's only a matter of breaking the column open. 2-3 minutes tops and gone.

How feasible is it space wise to fit slim-jim guards inside the doors? Should be easy.

18. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

That's where I think "the club" might be the best bet (for me anyway) thief see's it and moves on before bothering to breakin. And it's as easy to leave behind the seat as the snow/ice brush when not in use...

1EyedTanker and Kenneth Barber like this.
  19. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

20. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

My Toyota was stolen with a club on it when it was recovered the steering wheel had been cut and in the bed was a hacksaw blade with a piece of copper pipe for a handle. When I tried to make a claim with club for cost of towing and sterling wheel they said since the club hadn’t been cut I get nothing!
    It would have been less expensive if I hadn’t locked the club.