Wiped brand new Cam - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by brained, Jun 18, 2015.

1. rwk

rwk Farmall Cub

Regardless of all appearances, I would have any or all lifters checked for proper hardness, i dont know what that number is,would guess 50+ Rockwell "C" but you could take to any good machine shop/ tool and die and get the hardness checked, it only takes a min to do, and the cam could be checked also, if they are only surface (case) hardened, would have to do a different hardness test, not sure of the best test for that, especially if its a shallow case thickness, all bets are off with the Chinese.

2. Josey

Josey Farmall Cub

I have the same issue going on. Wish I had bought my parts thru Jeff. I'll be following this with wrapped attention.

3. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Can’t say enough good things about the support and products we have gotten from IHPA. :yes: We received the replacement lifters for our build Friday and took a few pics just to add for comparison.
    Good lifter on the right in these shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We did note that the hole for the inner cylinder/pushrod cup was a smaller diameter. .646" for the Chinese lifter and .683" for the replacement.

4. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

I wonder what supplier Comp Cams uses for their IH-application 'Hi Energy' hydraulic lifters...?

5. Ledbeter36

Ledbeter36 Farmall Cub

There was rumor awhile back that they were made in India but I don't remeber seeing any actual evidence of this. In all the thread digging I've been doing here and everywhere else I see a lot of complaint especially about noise with the comp lifters. Tom Mandera seems to be doing ok this time around with his although he's dealing with trying to find a mystery noise. But jury's still out on that so far. After all I have read I personally will use nothing but Johnson Hylift lifters in a IH engine. I also will be buying from IH parts America any time I can. There service speaks for itself obviously.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  6. Ledbeter36

Ledbeter36 Farmall Cub

Oh and I gotta agree from the pics it sure looks like the China lifters are a intentional knockoff of the Johnsons. Considering sealed power used to use johnsons under their name and the. Started selling their own Chinese knock off I kinda think it was intentional. Someone sold them on hey it'll be cheaper and no one will know the difference. I don't bother contacting companies often but I think I am going to see if theirs a way to send seald power a e-mail just to tell them they are now selling a inferior product. It makes me wary of all their products now. Kind of a shame they used to sell a good product for a reasonable price.

7. brained

brained Farmall Cub

Here's my comparison of Chinese vs American lifters:
    [​IMG]
    Chinese left, American right - Click to enlarge.
    I see rougher casting and a weird circular pattern in the Chinese one.

Also checked out the other 7 lifters today - they are undamaged and show a wear pattern that indicates proper rotation.

8. brained

brained Farmall Cub

[​IMG]
    Click to Enlarge - Chinese on the bottom, American on top.
    Same rough casting and another circular pattern on the Chinese one.

9. djadjective

djadjective Farmall Cub

I have been following this thread as I am currently rebuilding a '67 304. I was planning to use a Comp Cams cam/lifter kit but after reading through this thread and Comp Cam lifter reviews, I decided to order the Johnson lifters from IHPA. I saw someone was asking where the Comp Cam lifters were made, well I have checked all over the box and paperwork and there is no "made in..." markings anywhere. Yet on their cams, valve seals, timing sets, and valve springs; they have "Made in the USA" on them. This leads me to believe they source their lifters elsewhere. First two pics are the new Johnson lifters I received and they are a beautifully made part. Last two pics are of the Comp Cams. No polish to them, running your finger over the side you can feel a rough surface, and just an odd discoloration to the metal; no uniformity. image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG