Windshield wipers run even though they're turned off

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by goldeneye, Jan 1, 2013.

1. goldeneye

goldeneye Farmall Cub

Hello,

I have a 1973 Travelall. When it's cold and I fire it up, the windshield wipers continue to run even though they're turned off. I let the truck run for a good 10 minutes and it then becomes intermittent. While driving down my driveway, upon hitting a few potholes they seem to fix themselves (turn off). Each pothole however "wakes" them up and they move an inch or so. Eventually, after about 15 minutes they finally stop moving and work as normal. This is driving me nuts! To make things worse, I accidently broke off one of the wipers from the metal arm/mount while scraping ice off the windshield one morning, so now I have to wedge a cloth between the broken mount and the windshield so I don't end up with an arched CUT in my window! :(

I've tried carefully removing each fuse one at a time while this is happening (I know, a bad idea) but they just kept running.

2. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

Because the wipers are considered a mission critical item their circuit is protected by a self resetting circuit breaker that is located on the switch. In the "off" position the wiper motor always has power to it for the park function. So it sounds like you may have an problem with the parking switch which is inside the motor. The switch in the cab could or wires shorting to each other could be the problem also. There is a plug near the wiper motor that you can unplug to stop the motor. With it disconnected verify that there is only power at one of the terminals.

vince konicki likes this.
  3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Why dont you just remove the broken arm so it wont scratch the window.There is a little tab that needs held out then slowly slide the arm off of the splines,I usualy use a screw driver
    I had a problem like yours but with my headlights,ended up being I had a leak that dripped water onto the switch,in cold weather the water froze and made the contacts touch.
    Jeff

4. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Also check the exposed wires on the face of the motor. Clean it off real well , make sure the wires are not touching or loose and spray it with your choice of wire dryer/sealer. Sometimes age gets to them and moisture will short across wires or they get bumped while doing something under hood and the slight contact with one another will cause similar issues.

5. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Administrator Moderator

make sure the body of the wiper motor is well grounded to the body and there is a decent ground strap from the body to the negative battery terminal or the engine block, the self park function relies on this to stop it in the correct place.

vince konicki likes this.
  6. DavidWTravelallfan

DavidWTravelallfan High Wheeler

96-2000 dodge minivans had that same issue.. LOL..

7. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

My '72 Travelall exhibits similar behavior, which I have not had time to troubleshoot. Usually happens only in the first ten minutes of operation. They don't come on fully but just "repark" themselves in the wrong spot (i.e. too high up on the windshield). Sometimes they take a few swipes and then stop (in the wrong place). I always figured it was a bare wire or bad ground somewhere.

8. D1110N

D1110N Farmall Cub

My 72 1110 does the same thing. On startup wipers think they need to go and then start to fade to an occasional swipe, then once everything is warmed up no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Seen old hardened grease in the park mechanism switch screw em up

10. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

Bumping this thread since I still have the problem and am unsure of the proper priority order for troiubleshooting. It is absolutely temperature related because whenever I start the truck when it's below about 45 degrees, the wipers come on and stay on until there is some heat generated (either inside, or under the hood, or both, depending upon what's causing it). That means that the wipres may stay on for 20 or 30 minutes, since the engine takes a while to get warm. If it's above 50 degrees it only happens sometimes and doesn't last as long, and when it's above 60 degrees, it never happens. Wipers always turn on with the switch when I need them to come on.

My mind leaps to "bad/shorted" switch that expands or contracts with hot and cold, but based on previous discussions here, is there consensus that I should start under the hood at the wiper motor assembly, by checking wiring and grounds?? Note that I don't have any other spurious electrical issues, just the wipers. If I pull and clean the motor connections and check that the ground is good, should I try to find another switch? Are they even available? Thanks for your insights.

11. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

This seems like a pretty rare disorder, but definitely an intriguing one. I suggest pulling the three wire connector near the motor to closely examine and clean all the contacts on both connector halves. Ensure that no two adjacent terminals are able to touch each other in an unauthorized fashion. Circuit 82A-16 comes from the Park terminal of the wiper switch. It's always hot whenever your key is switched to ON or ACC positions. It corresponds with the black wire on the motor side of the plug. That's the only source of power reaching the motor when the wiper switch is not turned to either Low or high position, but the key is on. After checking, cleaning and reassembling, if the problem persists, I suspect the culprit is more likely to be found inside the motor itself rather than the dash switch. The motor is far more subject to vast temperature swings than the switch is, by virtue of their respective locations.

pwschuh likes this.
  12. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

OK, so upon further investigation, it appears that whoever installed the Holley 4150 on this thing decided to power the electric choke by splicing it into the black wire of the windshield wiper motor :cornfused:. So my first step will be to undo that. Any suggestions about the best power source to run a new wire for the electric choke??

13. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Can you be more specific, such as which black wire? Are the circuit numbers still visible on your wires? Depending on how the splice was done, this may not be any cause for concern. One place you don't want to source your choke power from is the coil positive terminal, even though that would be very convenient.

14. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

In scraping through the layers of accumulated dust on the three wires going to the wiper motor: one is red, one is green, and one is black. The splices (there are two for some reason) are into the black wire. They are kind of janky looking splices, so I intend to re-home the choke in any case. The three-wire connector farther down looks "undisturbed," but I can take it apart and clean if need be.

15. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

The joys of an old vehicle. A friend of mine has a 79 scout. It is wiring nightmare. But it works. In any event here in FL we had a hurricane bearing down on us. The friend looks outside and sees his scout headlights are on. He has to go out in the wind and rain, open the hood and disconnect the battery. After the storm he disconnected the lights. I do not think to this day the lights on the scout work.

16. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

The head light issue is pretty common,rain runs down onto the light switch,causes short,lights come on.My 79 interior lights would come on in the rain,shorted out(grounded) door switch.
    On your windshield wipers It could be the switch,old switches get hot and melt the plastic housings,tempiture makes things move,look for disformed plastic on the switch.

17. pwschuh

pwschuh Farmall Cub

You know how when you try to fix something it can either get fixed or not get fixed or break worse? Yea, the third one.

In taking the spliced line out of the wiper motor power wire, I managed to rip the power wire off of the back of the wiper motor (the place were it's soldered into the round fiberboard backing cover).

So, at this point I just want to pull the whole assembly off the truck and work on it inside, where can actually see and reach everything without a struggle. It looks like two nuts on either side of the wiper assembly come off. What happens then? Any pitfalls I need to be aware off? Does it just pull straight off (and more importantly go straight back on), or does the whole wiper linkage assembly colapse when I pull the motor off? :cornfused: