Windshield Wiper Wiring

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Charles Fisher, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Charles Fisher

Charles Fisher Farmall Cub

Hi all:
    I want to replace my 1972 Scout II original wiper switch with a new one. The old switch has five connectors labeled F, W, A, P and one that is not labeled. All have wiring going to them, and all wires are black, except "W" which is green.
    [​IMG]
    The new switch has five connectors labeled B, W, 2, 3, and 1. According to scoutparts.com, these mean:
    B - battery
    W - washer
    2 - low
    3 - high
    1 - not used
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know how to route the wiring? I can't seem to find anything on binderplanet that tells me what the old labels mean.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Year and model please

3. Charles Fisher

Sorry - 1972 Scout II.

4. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Iam not at home with my wiring diagrams,but I don't think they sent you the correct switch,my memory is teling me there is a park wire that's hot all the time(unless that's just on pickups)Do you have a manual with wiring in it.,is there not 3 wires going to the motor?

5. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

6. Paul Keel

Paul Keel Farmall Cub

Below is a diagram I drew for a Scout II wiper switch (excluding the Hot power/circuit break). The wire colors are the colors at the motor. At the switch, mine are also all black except the washer is green. The write up is part of one I stole from someone else, but the main point is that for low speed both red and black have to be hot, and for high speed just the black has to be hot. And park is always hot (with key on). Also, I've discovered that to park correctly, hot only to the green wire and the black and red wires are shorted to each other.

With that said, I don't know how your switch is setup. I just recently got a wiper delay switch, but the low position only energizes the low speed wire (and visa versa for the high position). I've not searched through old posts concerning this because I think I have a solution using three relays under the hood which will take the higher current from the dash (except the park will still run straight to the wiper motor because a relay would have to be continuously on with key on). If thing work correctly, I will post a diagram of my solution. I hope this helps.

Scout II Wiper Only.jpg

7. Charles Fisher

Thanks Paul - not sure yet if that will help me. I still have a fifth wire that I need to trace...thanks again!

8. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Paul,on delayed wipers on a scout,its easier to make the delay on high speed,as you only need to energize one wire.

9. Paul Keel

Paul Keel Farmall Cub

Thanks Jeff, I will check it out when I get a chance to fiddle with it again.