Windshield washer repair Scout II 2nd try

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Jerry, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Jerry

Jerry Farmall Cub

Sorry, my original thread hung when I tried to post, listed the title and no content.

The washer motor on my '76 Scout II had not worked since I bought it in 2003, so I decided it was time to work on it.

First I tried to power the motor from a battery charger to see if the problem was in wiring. However, the motor still did not run.

I removed the washer fluid bottle, drained the fluid, and took the bottle to my workbench. Upon examination, the motor is held into the assembly by 2 rivits. I used a 3-corner file to remove the 'flanged' part of the rivits, then drove them out using a small punch. This allowed me to removed the motor from the bottle.

The motor proved to have a small impeller, brass insert, and rubber seal complete with 2 O-rings on the motor shaft. One O-ring is the same diameter as the rubber seal, the other is much smaller, not much bigger than the motor shaft. The rubber seal is about 1/2 inch wide or so, and the underside (motor side) appeared to have been originally packed with grease; all that was left was some dried-up yellow spots. I removed all the components from the motor shaft.

Using a pliers and gentle force I was able to start the motor shaft turning. A few drops of water came out of a drain hole in the front cap of the motor. Within a few moments the shaft was turning somewhat freely, so I again used a battery charger to power up the motor. This time the motor spun up, and after about 30 - 45 seconds it was running smoothly.

I packed the motor side of the rubber seal with white lithium grease and reasembled the components on the motor shaft. Since I did not have rivits to re-attach the motor to the washer bottle, I used 6-32 bolts and nuts instead. 2 different lenghts are needed; the short one is about 3/4 inch and the long one is about an inch long. Using these nuts and bolts I reattached the motor to the wash bottle.

When reinstalling the wash bottle in the Scout keep in mind that 3 of the 4 bolts go into plastic inserts; the ground wire must be on the bolt (lower right as viewed from the driver's side) that screws into the metal inner fender.

With the bottle in place and wires atached I turned on the ignition and pressed in on the wiper switch, and viola...washer fluid appeared on my windshield. Sometimes you need these little successes to keep going.....

2. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

This is a funny coincidence. My Scout II's washer pump stopped working a few weeks ago. I thought about trying to fix it, but I also looked around for a new pump. The Local NAPA had one in stock for $19.99, so I went and bought it yesterday and installed it. It's a perfect, painless swap. (The new pump just provides a tab for a ground wire rather than one being perminently attached.)

If you feel like you ever need to buy one, this is it:

NAPA Balkamp Scout II washer pump

And in case the link goes bad some day, I will post the part numbers (there are at least two Mfrs):

NAPA #BK 6651564
    ANCO #6401

One interesting thing about it however, is that the crummy little directions it comes with discuss only installing it in a Volkswagen.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  3. Brian Rognon

Brian Rognon Farmall Cub

Thank you Patrick. I clicked on the link and found it was dead. I cursed out loud and thought "if only he had posted the part #". I look back at your post and BINGO, you did post the part #'s!!!

:rockon: :punk: :beer:

4. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

You're welcome. I help when I can. NAPA's changed there site a bit since five years ago. Note my "In case the link goes bad some day...". I'm always thinking of others. :)

And it's funny. I started reading this thread and noticed a reply from me. I thought, I don't remember doing this at all.... !!! Oh well. One of my many little repairs over the years I guess.

Wait... it's starting to come back to me now. :stuart:

5. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Thanks Patrick! It's wonderful having a windshield washer again.