windshield frame removal

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by binder88, Sep 20, 2005.

1. binder88

binder88 Farmall Cub

Ok how haed is it to pull windshield frame ?
    Mine is rusted beyond repair I have a replacement.
    Do you need to pull the dash or what??
    Thanks
    Brad

2. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pickup/Travelall/Wagonmaster/Travelette?
    Scout 80?
    Scout 800?
    Scout II?
    Loadstar?
    Cargostar?
    Combine?
    1466 with a cab?
    Crawerl with a cab?

:D :D Okay so maybe I got a bit exsessive, but could we please have a make and a year, my IH ESP isn't what it use to be.

3. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

My ESP is working pretty decent on IH's with removable w/s frames :)

On a Scout 80, there are a bunch of bolts on the top that go into the roof. Open up the hood, and look near the hood hinges... there are about 9 bolts along the bottom that hold the w/s frame hinge on. Take all those out and it should come right out.

On a Scout II, there are the 4 screws in the top that go into the roof. Then, there are four bolts behind the upper door hinges that come out. Then, there are two bolts that are above the upper door hinges, that thread vertically into the height adjustment for the w/s frame. Disconnect the wiper motor plug by the heater assembly, push the connection through the grommet. Then, open the doors and kick the top of the w/s frame backwards towards the cab area. It should go. If not, a prybar between the roof and the top of the frame will work to help seperate it. Once you get the w/s frame backwards a little bit at about a 30 degree angle, lift it straight up and it will come out easily.

I've pulled about 12 of them this way from junkyards and works great.

-Gary

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  4. JerryD

JerryD High Wheeler

I dunno, your Effervescent Sarcasm Protocol seems to be working just fine, Carl. ;)

Funny this is brought up, I've been contemplating this swap myself on my 1976 International Harvester Scout II XLC, formerly with an AM radio. :D From what the manual shows it doesn't seem too hard...

Gary, thanks for the post. How long does it take you? I figure I'll multiply your time by 1.75 to get my time... :)

Huh. How 'bout that. I thought you would've had better luck with a Shepard's hook. :eek: ;)

5. John M

John M Farmall Cub

Hi, this seems like a good time to ask-

Does anyone have any advice on how to properly adjust the windshield frame when it is reinstalled? I know that the windsheild adjuster bolts are at the top of the door hinge pillar caps, and I would assume one would adjust them outward until the windshield does not shake, but I have been unable to find anything in my manual ('77 SII) on how to do it right. Thanks!

John.

6. Gary Billings

Nah, it's really not that hard to do. The hardest part is either taking out the roof bolts without the phillips head getting rounded out, or getting at the bolts behind the door hinges. You're ok if the head breaks off, but if the head rounds out for whatever reason, it gets to be a real PITA! Then you gotta pull the fenders to get at the backside of the bolts. My suggestion: use a 6 point 9/16" socket.

If everything goes smooth, I can pull one in 10 minutes. If everything goes wrong...an hour. Of course this is on junkyard Scouts that I really don't give a s%#$ about, so there is more "abuse" going on.

Wow, that joke will never escape me, will it!

-Gary

7. binder88

binder88 Farmall Cub

yes sorry it is 77 scout II
    thanks
    brad

8. surfcraft

surfcraft Binder Driver

The manual gives a diagonal measurement from top of windshield header to top of body (where it meets top of door, strike side) at 35 3/4" .

JW

9. Beast1210

Beast1210 Farmall Cub

10. Gary Billings

Yes, you don't even have to touch the dash.

-Gary

11. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

Measure diagonally between the top of the door jamb (strike side) and the top of the windshield frame. "a measurment of 35 3/4" is considered correct" so saith the manual.

12. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

13. Stan Dowiat

Stan Dowiat Farmall Cub

On the Scout II... do you have to remove the front fenders to access those four bolts that go up into the windshield frame? Man... i can see then though the door jab but taking them out... much less getting new ones in looks impossible. thanks

14. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

No you should not have to fool with the fenders. All the bolts are accessible from the opened doors.

And I think there's a total of six bolts holding the frame onto the body. If you look at either side you will see one that's vertical and is really easy to see/reach (and is also the adjuster bolt), and further in and oriented horizontally are the two more bolts that must be removed.

FYI, when you remove all these six bolts you're not actually unbolting the WS frame itself; you are unbolting a couple of L-shaped brackets that the WS frame is actually attached to. With the six bolts removed you ought to be able to lift the WS frame straight up and off the vehicle.... provided the roof has been dealt with already.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012