Why The Scout and Not Other 4x4 Vehicles?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by thirdgenterra, Sep 13, 2020.

1. thirdgenterra

thirdgenterra Farmall Cub

I love my Scout. And seems everyone with a Scout has both wild and fond stories of what they've done with them.
    For example my dad actually used to plow soil with it.

Alas it seems all scouts are plagued by cancerous rust, countless electrical gremlins and obscene fuel consumption.

I know it's a blasphemous question ... but why would someone choose a Scout over something like a Toyota truck/4runner/landcruiser or land rover or jeep or military vehicle? What are the advantages of a Scout over others?

2. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

Many scouts share their engines with the 800/900 series combines, medium duty trucks, semi trucks, school busses and dump trucks. So when your beeting on it, the one thing your probably not going to do is blowyour engine because you were pushing it to hard.

3. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

One reason for me is that it is precisely not a Ford or GM. While Ford and GM made some nice trucks, they not that interesting or unusual when compared to an IH. I think anyone can build/restore a Ford or GM. But it's a different type of person that goes after the IH (and I like those types of people!).

I also think the Scout II is just the right size for that era. Not too big and not too small.

4. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

I bought IH Scout II because it wasn't a Jeep or a Bronco. Had never seen one in my life before I bought mine. I wanted a vehicle to build and then wheel the piss out of. Scout looked bad ass and wanted it right away.

I would own a pre-2006 Jeep. TJ series. The JL's and Jk's ride so nice, but are plagued with the Chrysler TIPM electrical nightmare that has been a Chrysler corp issue since it's introduction across all model lines.

To me it was just to be different.

I am the only one that I know in Southern ON Canada that actually wheels my scout and isn't afraid to use it for more than it was meant for!

Chris Cooper likes this.
  5. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

My first Scout I purchased around 1990 when I was stationed at China Lake CA. It’s in the desert surrounded by mountains. I had never owned a 4wd anything prior to that.
    It was a 76 with a 304 and 4 spd manual. The springs were pretty shot. I didn’t fully realize this although I should have as all 4 tires had circular rub marks on them.
    A group of us there at China Lake were out 4 wheeling and camping every weekend. That Scout could go anywhere - most of the time without putting it in 4wd. On one trip - pretty far from anywhere - I discovered my oil fill cap was missing. When looking around for it - I discovered my front drivers side leaf spring main leaf was broken. The clip was holding it together. We packed up and with a friend following we limped out of the mountains and all the way back to China Lake. I couldn’t believe we made it. I got a rancho 2” lift kit for the Scout. It lifted it 6” over where it had been with those worn out original springs.
    I worked that thing hard all over the desert and mountains in CA and it never failed to get us home.
    At the end of that tour I was moving back to FL and made the decision to sell the truck. Wish I never had done that.

vince konicki likes this.
  6. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

Many of us inherited the IH genes from the adults around us. My father (a contractor) used them, and his sub-contractors used and abused them. The Fords, Jimmys and Chevys just didn't hold up. I was 13 when I had my first ride in a Scout in 1965, a hunting trip in Bodie. (RinTX - we used to hunt around Johannesburg and Red Mountain) The driver thrashed every truck he owned, and I recall bouncing around the interior as he blasted up a hillside, spilling many of us kids out the back on the way up. I was hooked. I look at the experience as a kind of "gateway drug". I've owned six Scouts and a T'all. :wacko:

RinTX and stroker3 like this.
  7. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

I was looking for a blazer when I ran into my Scout II. Never seen on before but my wife remembered them from her high school days. I knew it was going to be tough taking it to the Netherlands and fix it up. Compared to all the other stuff, it has friendly proportions, a nice layout of the dash. It has really nice lines and curves that the other don't have. And the other day I was looking at an ad for a 73 blazer and I realized how god awful those square wheel arches are.

RinTX likes this.
  8. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

I was driving around looking for a new vehicle with my parents. I kind of decided I wanted either a convertible car or a mini truck like an S10 or a Tacoma . I had jokingly said that the best thing would be a convertible truck, well not 5 minutes later we drove past a classic car lot and there was my Scout sitting there with a pickup cab top, and I said whoa what's that. My dad had just laughed and my mom hit him because they both knew what it was, my Grandpa ran IHs when they were new and up to the nineties, so to be different my dad went into Jeeps, so now I suppose to be different from my dad I've gone into IHs. The only bad story from my grandpa that my dad remembered was when him, my grandma, and some of their friends loaded up their travelall to go to Vegas while hauling a trailer with a load equalizer hitch. Somewhere in Nevada they felt a great big bump and heard a crash and they slammed on the brakes and the brakes were what they should have been, they looked back and their rear axle had fallen off so the truck was being held up with a hitch and the trailer. They threw the axle in the back and drove off in four-wheel drive which was then front wheel drive to the nearest dealership where they had it repaired and they sold it in Vegas. I like IHs because they are different and I would like to think that my buying one has caused others in my area to buy some as well, but that might just be my ego, and my noticing them now when I hadn't before, but now I've seen four other scouts in the area including a red carpet special.

'Mater likes this.
  9. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

And IH had nothing on GM as far as the catch spots and rot with that fender/ quarter panel design as well...LOL.
    BIL was a big GM guy. Loved to knock the old IH's we had back then. He was cut down a peg or two when the brand new Chevy pickup he bought in 73 needed new fenders by 76. Funny as hell when he bought my sister a Vega and within 3-4 years, it's fenders were trash as well.

10. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

No IH family history (well, a little: my step GF had a D-Series T'all when I was a kid, but I wasn't around it much and paid it almost no mind), and only a little personal history with a couple of Scouts, so there is no rational explanation nation for why I like D-Series trucks other than they look cool, and they're different. I like different.

11. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

I agree with on the last point, I would love to get my hands on a nice 74 or 75 travel all four-wheel drive preferably.

Chris Cooper likes this.
  12. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Back in '91 when I was looking to upgrade from my 13 year old Subaru 4x4 Wagon, I wanted to get one of the 'classic' 4x4s I remembered from the '70s. Kinda wanted a Land Cruiser FJ40, or maybe Bronco. I loved Land Rovers but they were much too rare in these parts. Blazers, Jimmys, and the Chrysler SUVs were too huge. CJs too small. Then I started reading up on Scouts. I always like those too, though I had not actually seen too many over the years. Turned out that a Scout II is no wider than a Bronco but has more bed/cargo room. I liked that a lot. (Broncos aren't actually much bigger than Jeep CJ7s.) Further, when comparing Scout to Bronco, Scouts were available with 4-speeds (floor shift) and for most years, front disk brakes. So I focused my interest on getting a Scout.

That was basically it for me. A camping/desert-worthy 4x4 that was the perfect size, 4-on-the-floor, and decent brakes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    winchested likes this.
  13. theloneduck

theloneduck Binder Driver

I wanted a older (non computerized) 4x4 to learn on. Broncos were too expensive and couldn’t find a GM when I looked. The Jeep Waggoner I looked at had too much work that needed to be done, vs the S2 I found.

then come to find out, father in-law had an 800 in his field, but it’s pretty far away and currently doesn’t run.

14. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

I love most things 4x4. In particular, I like those that have fully removable tops. I had two Early Ford Bronco’s. Should have kept the better one. If I was wealthy, I would have a fleet of vintage 4x4’s like early Jeeps(Willys), Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, GMC (K5), etc. Kinda like these people...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  15. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

At first I didn't even like Scouts because most I saw were abused rusted pieces of junk.
    But...ended up getting one anyway because the size is perfect for hunting, camping, exploring, and fairly serious off roading.

Early Broncos, CJs, FJ40s don't have any enough room behind the back seat for gear.
    Blazers, Ramchargers, big Broncos, pick ups get smashed to bits on tight trails.
    Old J60 Landcruisers are a nice size, but under powered and even more rare than SIIs.

winchested likes this.
  16. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

Me too. When I get wealthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael1971 likes this.
  17. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

The SSII I am driving has pretty much been in continuous service since 1977. Has not rusted to death and the tub is actually in very good condition. Just about the perfect size for how I use it and the places I go and it can do a road trip right now with no excuses. IH was not an obscure brand. I had a poster of Frank Howarth Scout on my wall in high school and I still remember where I was the day Dad told me IH stopped producing Scouts.
    Rust is not something only IH had issues with, just about every vehicle of the era rusted. I got a recall notice not all that long ago for my Tundra as the frames were being perforated by rust in some areas. Now that they are salting California roads. I just avoid those roads with the my older vehicles. My newer vehicles are disposable and replaceable, not my older ones.

kdsmit likes this.
  18. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

My first wheels were a '52 flat fender Jeep. I wheeled around Burlington in my younger years. I went to a northern Ontario bush camp a couple years later and just fell in love with a '66 800. Loved the size and style. It wasn't until i went to college that i was able to buy it. Still own it. Used it around Thunder Bay exploring back roads and goat trails. Always started when i needed, even in -45C weather, unplugged no less. My third vehicle was a '77 Traveler.
    Since that first Scout i have owned another 8 Travelers. I'm down to only 3 of them at the moment. Wishing i had the room to work on them again.
    Recently i just saw my old '52 up for sale for a significant premium over what i sold it for.

I think the appeal for me is that it is a very capable and reliable vehicle which has a nice body styling. I still like the 800 the best.

NorOntScout

Sent from my BV9700Pro using Tapatalk

19. Don B

Don B Binder Driver

Tough, good looking, reliable, simple to fix, not electrically complex, durable, versitle, true 4 x4, right sized and not cookie cutter.

Don B

binder-badger and Darrel like this.
  20. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

It's only a matter of time right? At least that's what I've been telling myself for the past few years!